Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the elk or deer carts that you can buy from Cabellas or other hunting magazines. If so, what kind? What are you likes and dislikes? What would you like to change about them. I am in the market, and am looking for others opinions.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Although I havent used it yet, I just got the collapsable cart from Cabelas.

It is well made and seems pretty sturdy and it will do its job.

It does break down to fit inside of your truck. But I found it easier to keep the wheels separate from the cart in order to make it easier to put together.

Once you get use to it, you can assemble it in about 2-3 minutes.

The only thing I dont like it that the tires STINK really bad. They smell like kerosene only 100 times stronger. I have had mine setting outside for a few weeks now and although the smell has diminished, it is still there. There is no way I am going to leave those things inside my truck.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
BradMc26 said:
Although I havent used it yet, I just got the collapsable cart from Cabelas.

It is well made and seems pretty sturdy and it will do its job.

It does break down to fit inside of your truck. But I found it easier to keep the wheels separate from the cart in order to make it easier to put together.

Once you get use to it, you can assemble it in about 2-3 minutes.

The only thing I dont like it that the tires STINK really bad. They smell like kerosene only 100 times stronger. I have had mine setting outside for a few weeks now and although the smell has diminished, it is still there. There is no way I am going to leave those things inside my truck.

OMG you are so right about the tires, that rubber smell is HORRIBLE!!! And I did stick mine in the truck the other day while hunting because I did not want it to disappear and THAT was a BAD idea!! I have not got to drag one out on it yet but hope to soon. I got the Redhead one for Christmas last year, I think they are under $100, my only complaint is mine does not collapse down....'94

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just bought a really good one off ebay for $84 plus $20 for shipping. Its the one made by Big Game Treestands and its got 20" tires rated to 500 lbs. It is a little large in size but I think it can handle some really large animals.

I had one that I bought a few years back from Bass Pro that was rated to 250 lbs and it gilflirted on me hauling out the buck in my avatar (~ 260 lbs).
Insatiable

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think they'll be difficult to manuver on small game trails? I was hoping to find one with one wheel, like a wheel barrow with a mountain bike tire of some sort, and possibly a brake on it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I bought one 3 years ago from cabelas the deluxe magnum & let me tell you that cart has been worked hard & is very easy to use in the woods. I will never drag a deer again.

·
Aim Small-Miss Small
2,827 Posts
I also have the cabelas magnum for 5 plus years. I have used it hauling deer to, lumber for stands and hauled 4 loc-ons+ladders way back into public land. It has been well worth the money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sicario

I had a cheap one-wheeled deer cart a couple of years ago and can tell you it was one hard dude to haul a deer around on. It took more strength to keep the load balanced on the one wheel than it did to pull the thing. I know you're looking for something to use on a narrow trail, but based on my experience using a one-wheeled cart on a pretty big buck, I'm going to go with two wheels in the future. Just my 2 cents.

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Markch said:
I had a cheap one-wheeled deer cart a couple of years ago and can tell you it was one hard dude to haul a deer around on. It took more strength to keep the load balanced on the one wheel than it did to pull the thing. I know you're looking for something to use on a narrow trail, but based on my experience using a one-wheeled cart on a pretty big buck, I'm going to go with two wheels in the future. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe if you had two wheels really close together, maybe 4-5 inches, it might make it a little more stable

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
I have a cart we bougth at cabelas 8 or 9 years ago. Single tire on each side. Rated load is like 250 or 300. Has air tires. Folds in half for easy storage. I changed the pins to wingnuts and bolts since the second we put a whole elk on it the pins popped right out.

We have so far hauled 8-10 elk WHOLE out on this bugger and several halved. Of course, the tires mash down to almost the rim with a 400-500 lb load and the rims are bent pretty bad, it works fine. Only complaint is the fact it has spokes. Constantly getting sticks and trees stuck in the spokes. One these days a good sized stick is going to rip out some spokes. Thinking of a way to make a solid cover.

last year we hauled a decent 5x5 bull out whole 1.10 miles in about an hour or so. We used the same cart except a newer one with dual wheels and solid tires. The extra width hurts but not to bad. The hard tires though beat the heck out of us. I wouldnt recommend the hard tires although the fact you wont get a flat is nice.

PS- I would never bother with a 1 wheeled cart. Just go get a wheel barrel.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
indiana ******* said:
I bought one 3 years ago from cabelas the deluxe magnum & let me tell you that cart has been worked hard & is very easy to use in the woods. I will never drag a deer again.
Did you do anything to get rid of the smell of the tires?

I am hoping it wears off with time.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Keep center of gravity low

What ever cart you buy make sure the weight of the load rides directly on the axle, between the tires. If the cart carrys the weight above the tires it becomes very unstable with the high center of gravity on uneven terrain. Look at Cabela's Super Mag Hauler for I think $129.00. This is a very stable and very sturdy cart to last you a long time.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
insatiable said:
I just bought a really good one off ebay for $84 plus $20 for shipping. Its the one made by Big Game Treestands and its got 20" tires rated to 500 lbs. It is a little large in size but I think it can handle some really large animals.

I had one that I bought a few years back from Bass Pro that was rated to 250 lbs and it gilflirted on me hauling out the buck in my avatar (~ 260 lbs).
Insatiable

Do you have a link to that or a similar auction?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Game Cart

Here is a link to the one I bought. But I bought it from some sporting goods store who had several to sell for $ 84. I don't see it on ebay now, but they may have some more in the future. Keep looking by searching with the key words of deer cart.

http://www.biggametreestands.com/tree_stands/carry_all.php

Its the same seller that has this one for sale as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ameristep-Grizz...ryZ52509QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe you can contact them to see if they have anymore.l;

Insatiable

1 - 16 of 16 Posts