Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a deers favorite food i read somewhere that corn is at the bottom of the list of foods they eat but they have to settle for it because the amount of it and the cover they like also what else is at the bottom and what else is at the top?? thanks for your answers

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
A deer will step over acorns to get to a peanut field.I think they are the absolute favorite food when around.

·
Registered
970 Posts
acorns and apples, but mostly whatever is close and in good cover

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I'd have to agree. When and where available, deer will pass by anything in this area to get to fresh fallen acorns.... whitetail candy!

·
Registered
856 Posts
White oaks are preferred over red oaks.White oaks have rounded lobes on their leaves,red oaks have pointed leaves.To remember this go by the saying------white man's bullets round-------red mans arrows are pointed!!!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
White Oak acorns are the deers favorite in my area.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
brk said:
what is a deers favorite food i read somewhere that corn is at the bottom of the list of foods they eat but they have to settle for it because the amount of it and the cover they like also what else is at the bottom and what else is at the top?? thanks for your answers
Not sure where you heard that about corn...I would have to put it near the top of my list, but to each his own...Acorns are the deers protein cash crop, but I think they only come to them by nature's design...They are everywhere around here and the deer don't have to go out of their way to find them...I would say deer travel the furthest out of their way to munch on fresh fruits...Anything from berries, persimmons, apples and pears to cantelope and watermelon (where applicable of course)...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Deer eat most foods at peek nutrition times. Like when the flowers are just about to open. Or when the tender new branches just push out. At these times deer will pass acorns but only for a couple meals. They will always be back to the acorns. Main food and protein source bar none.

I was kneeling behind a couple Oaks watching 2 Doe’s the other day waiting for one to get into my very small shooting lane. They both walked over Red and White acorns to eat wild grapes. Then they walked over them again and munched some big white mushrooms. After that they did eat some acorns. An hr with 2 Doe’s with in 30 yds and I never got my shot off.:cry:

·
Registered
883 Posts
corn would be on the bottom of my list because all corn really is is a filler. if you live on farm land soey beans all the way because of the high fat and protien content.

in the early season der will eat alfalfa over corn until it freezes. but they will eat soey beans over all

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
The Missouri farm I hunt is all in soy beans this year and the deer love them.
I think deer will eat whatever happens to be plentiful at the time and where they feel safe while eating it. I hunted a pumpkin patch for years in Kansas. Just try to tell the landowner that deer won't eat pumpkins.:wink: He might disagree.:wink:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Almost anything edible

I've seen them "zone" in on many things, depending on the season. However, if you ask my wife, she would say "her flowers" !

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
hayslope said:
I've seen them "zone" in on many things, depending on the season. However, if you ask my wife, she would say "her flowers" !
Yep.... they LOVE hostas.

In the wild I gotta vote acorns.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Where I hunt, I have acorns, alfalfa, soybeans, and corn. Right now they are on the alfalfa and beans real hard but in next few weeks it will be corn and acorns so I belive it depends on weather conditions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts