Archery Talk Forum banner

Deer feeders are out...

640 6
So I put 3 feeders out to experiment. I live in Virginia so there is not much in the way of deer management going on with the running of dogs and all. I only have 3 acres I am experimenting on but it is a start.

I made up 3 feeders using 4inch PVC piping and spaced them out over my 3 acres of woods along with mineral licks near each. I figure I will give them 2 weeks and then put out some cameras to see what I am picking up. I want to see how much the deer use them and how much the other critters destroy them.

I have 100+ acres in Boswells, VA and 60 acres in Victoria. It is all private land so that helps. I have several mineral licks down in Boswells and they have turned into 8-10inch deep holes, so the deer are liking them. I put 4 mineral licks down on the property in Victoria just two weeks ago.

This summer a small food plot is going in at Victoria.

So I want to see how much the deer will use the feeders and see if it is worth putting 3/4 on each property also. I don’t want to waste all the money in feed if no deer are using them and it is just the critters enjoying the feed source.

Using a mixture of whole corn and horse feed protein pellets.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8,525 Posts
I made a couple feeder using 4"pvc also .They empty out in a matter of days deer ,tree rats *****,crows.I switched about 5 years ago to a feeder with a timer you save a lot of feed and can target the time deer or Turkey will be there .Plus you save a lot on money on corn that now running about 20 bucks a 100 at southern states.Put a cam on the feeder and see what shows up .Good luck

· Registered
7,102 Posts
Three feeders on three acres is a lot. My guess is that you will be feeding a lot more unwanted critters than deer and at $9.00+ for a 50 lb bag of corn, that will get expensive in a hurry. My advice would be to put out a single timed spinner-type feeder, put a camera on it and you will be happier.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured three was too much but I was more interested in seeing how they hold up to the critters. The timed feeders seem exspense upfront cost. If I can mix the corn and pellets and if they like it, the pellets are cheap and full of protein. corn just makes it taste good. I was thinking if I like how the feeders hold up, I will put just one on each property and use it as a head counting attraction only. Not looking to future bait the deer, just get a head count plus hopefully pull deer into property. I figure the food plots would be more a sustaining source for them.

· Registered
367 Posts
I figured three was too much but I was more interested in seeing how they hold up to the critters. The timed feeders seem exspense upfront cost. If I can mix the corn and pellets and if they like it, the pellets are cheap and full of protein. corn just makes it taste good. I was thinking if I like how the feeders hold up, I will put just one on each property and use it as a head counting attraction only. Not looking to future bait the deer, just get a head count plus hopefully pull deer into property. I figure the food plots would be more a sustaining source for them.

??? :confused: ???

Don't get me wrong here, I am a proponent of the use of feeders. You just leave us all confused with the dichotemy of your statements there.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am saying that by providing food source like a food plot year around and in the allowed season a feeder, the overall deer population in my area will increase, so that my overall quality increases. I was simply stating when I said "not looking to future bait" that I will not be hunting on the sight of the feeders. In Virginia you can't bait the deer. You are allowed to place feeders during certain off months but not during the hunting season. It was written wrong. I simply looking for ways to manage deer quality and quantity in a state where dogs chase everything each year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.