Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pick out a form for my double droptine buck that was pictured under the topic "I scored". I like the new pedestal wall mount forms but I don't know how I want the head facing. I want a form that will really show both drop tines especially the big club one. I was thinking more of right facing form but I don't know if I want it in a semi sneak or upright. Post some pics of your deer mounts and that would help me out. Thanks for any help and I finally got the horns back so I will have the score when I figure out exactly how to score a nontypical. Computer at lake cabin is stupid dialup and downloading takes to long. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I like the wall Pedestal for showing detail!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This is an offset semi sneak upright left turn with one ear forward and the other slightly back as if he were listening. Got it back last week. This form definitely puts a lot of emphasis on the body size as well. The first thing people have been saying when they see it is.. Dang that deer was huge but he's no bigger than any other deer iv'e shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I personally love the semi sneak pose as well....here is one I had done last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
creekcritter said:
Full Sneak Or Upright Wall Pedistal

do you have a pic of the wall pedistal?? i would like to see what it looks like..
sorry for the hi-jacking

thanks kennie

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
still waiting to get mine back from the taxidermist, not sure what it's called but the deer is almost in a full turn facing backwards. Almost like it is turned back to lick itself or rake a tree branch.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know if I posted this twice or not but here is my '05 buck with semi-alert ears.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
I am a taxidermist and have done several different poses that look good. The last one I did was a semi-upright offset shoulder. What made it look so good, was it had its chin down. I laid its ears back and it looked like a pissed of dominant buck.

There is also no such thing as a semi-sneak upright form. Both terms describe the deers head in relation to its body. An upright form has the chin well above the shoulder level. Semi-upright has a chin about level with the shoulders. Semi-sneak has the top of the head even with the top of the shoulders. Full-sneak has the head below the shoulders.

I have catalogues from about 6 or 8 form manufactures. There are a lot of poses to choose from. A lot of them use different termilogy for the same pose.
Go to www.taxidermy.net and look through the taxidermist's web sites. If you find one you like, post a pic and I will help you figure out what pose it is.

Here is the form before completion. I will try to find the finished product and post it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
jcmorgan31 said:
Ive seen the one like your wife's with an arrow in the deers mouth like it is trying to pull it out. Looks really neat.

If I'm not mistaken, where he is licking is actually where she had shot him!!!

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Poses like that are a real pain to mount, but they do look good and aren't something you see every day.

I did one for my brother-in-law with a 90 degree left turn, head down, ears back fighting pose. When he gets another, I'm gonna do the right hand version and he is gonna put them on the wall locked together. There is a lot of stuff that can be done with deer heads these days.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,327 Posts
I heard from taxidermists to stay away from the "looking straight ahead" mounts. He said they just never look as good as the left of right turns. I took his advice and love my mount. I'll have to try to get a picture of it.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Personally, I thing straight forms look a little more mannequinish (if that is a word). Putting a little turn to em adds a little life to it. I have seen good looking straight poses too, I like something with a little turn better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts