Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has used the deer hunter's moon guide? Does it actually work and how accurate is it? This is the moon guide from illusion with the dial and the red moon phase. I am hunting a very nice buck and trying to time my hunts as close as possible to when he will be on his feet. First big cold spell we have had this morning and i'm debating wether or not to go early or a little later. It says best time will be around 11:26 am this morning. Any real world results or experience would be appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i tried it....for the most part....it didn't jive with when I saw bucks....but, I did get my biggest buck last year right at 11am on a day it pegged.
So, it was correct that day. ;)
I do use a solarlunar calendar and weather to time my hunts though.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i'm going against my gut and going with the moon guide this morning. It says 11:26 am is prime so i'm going into the stand a little later today. Hoping to catch a nice buck up on his feet! I will let you guys know my results this evening for sure. Keep the responses coming in i appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
i tried it....for the most part....it didn't jive with when I saw bucks....but, I did get my biggest buck last year right at 11am on a day it pegged.
So, it was correct that day. ;)
I do use a solarlunar calendar and weather to time my hunts though.
How do you use the solar lunar calendar?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Chasing the moon is a fun topic of conversation and it has sold a lot of books and magazine articles, but true research on the subject shows that there is essentially no correlation to buck movement and the rut. That said, there is also research that says if you’re performing a task with confidence, you’ll have a better chance of being successful. So, if chasing the moon and all of the guides and articles that go with it give you confidence...go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Catty Shack
12,470 Posts
but true research on the subject shows that there is essentially no correlation to buck movement and the rut. !
I don't believe the Moon Guide (or the Solunar Tables like I use) will predict buck movement and the rut. They basically predict deer movement - mainly feeding times the deer are most likely on their feet. Just because you don't see any deer when you're on stand doesn't mean they're not up and moving around somewhere else where you can't see them.

Thinking you can predict buck movement during the rut is ridiculous, but if you think out side the box somewhat, and concentrate on where and when the does are up and moving, I would think a buck will show up eventually. :mg:

The Solunar Tables for the latter part of this week for my area is suppose to be fantastic morning, noon and night so hopefully if I can get these old bones out of bed in the mornings. But if I don't see anything I won't be so naive not to think they're up and moving perhaps somewhere out of sight.

·
Registered
440 Posts
How does it line up with time2hunt app?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use usprimetimes alot. I have to say, in general, I have seen "more" deer during the predicted times. Using moonoverhead or under is always good when close to dusk/dawn natural deer movement.
Time2hunt is similar.

·
Catty Shack
12,470 Posts
Here's what the Solunar Table indicate for deer movement/feeding times this week. I would have gone this evening but I just got done with some honey-do projects and I'm pooped.

The wind direction and BP are favorable so I'll go out in the morning. :mg:

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well i'm going against my gut and going with the moon guide this morning. It says 11:26 am is prime so i'm going into the stand a little later today. Hoping to catch a nice buck up on his feet! I will let you guys know my results this evening for sure. Keep the responses coming in i appreciate it.
I saw a good buck this morning pushing does at 10:45. I had planned to sit later, but got anxious and tried to leave at 10:30 (even though my gut told me to sit longer) because I had some other stuff to do today. Not sure if I bumped the deer or not, but once I saw them they were heading the other way. I think they may have came by me if I had continued to sit. Oh well.

I have been paying attention to moon times (overhead or underfoot) this year and I have seen a spike in deer movement around overhead/underfoot times given the right conditions. I don't think the moon will make any difference if it is 80 out. But on a nice frosty morning after a cold front came through and the pressure is sky high, like it was this morning, it is something to think about. I should have sat longer today based on that info... I saw constant deer movement until after noon today.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I think cold, favorable temps trump moon phase every time..... BUT when all the stars align, I think things can be magical.

1st- I look at the calendar to predict when hunting is going to be good
2nd- I look at the forecast time to pick what days (of the good period) will be best
3rd- Id look at the moon phases, rise and set, and say "on Nov 4, when its 28 degrees, and the moon sets at 10:00 am... I better sit all day, or at least till noon"

I guess im saying this is my way of determining when to hunt. Date, then forecast, then a good moon phase would just add to my already high level of enthusiasm.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,347 Posts
How does it line up with time2hunt app?
It's the same. Save your $$$ and get that app.

The favorable times are when the moon is over head or underfoot around sunrise and sunset.

The days leading up to full moon, when moon rises in evening are also good. As well as the days after a full moon when it is setting around sunrise.

That's really all there is to it.

As Swiffy said, cold weather trumps moon almost every time.

The only time I could see it not is during the early fall or late winter when temps are pretty consistent and you are hunting a buck on a solid feeding pattern. A favorable moon might be just what it takes to get him moving a little earlier so you get a shot before dark.

·
Catty Shack
12,470 Posts
It's the same. Save your $$$ and get that app.

The favorable times are when the moon is over head or underfoot around sunrise and sunset.

The days leading up to full moon, when moon rises in evening are also good. As well as the days after a full moon when it is setting around sunrise.

That's really all there is to it.

As Swiffy said, cold weather trumps moon almost every time.

The only time I could see it not is during the early fall or late winter when temps are pretty consistent and you are hunting a buck on a solid feeding pattern. A favorable moon might be just what it takes to get him moving a little earlier so you get a shot before dark.

I'm not sure the Solunar Tables favor that as the "best time", they actually prefer a moonrise or moonset that coincides with a sunrise or sunset. I believe those are some of the best times to be afield.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Is this time2hunt app available for iPhone? I’m not seeing it in the App Store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts