Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went deer hunting last Saturday.. saw several deer and put a arrow thru a nice buck, not a monster, but respectable- After trailing him for 1/4 mile- he gave me the slip. I hit this guy thru the lungs as he was walking into heavy cover, then I stayed in my stand for a hour so he'ld lay down and die.. when I get on his trail, after about 70 yrds I jumped him- so I backed off for 3hrs!!! Then I go back on him and tracked him for 1/4 mile.. after going into heavy cover, he quits putting out a blood trail.. I checked out the area- making small circles, but couldn't find him. I think he's probably had it, the arrow was a 1 1/2" Wasp Broadhead and it was covered with blood from tip to vanes.. he bleed pretty good, based on my shotgun hunting experiences.. I'll check out the area again this weekend and see if there's some crows having lunch where I lost him- what should I have done differently?
are Wasp 3-Blade Broadheads with Chistlepoints any good?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
No Lungs - Sorry

Bullitboy-

No way did you hit lungs if you jumped him 1hr after you shot him, most time they barely make it 20 seconds when you Double Lung 'Em (DLE). I'm guessing it was a liver hit 3-5hrs is what I think they recommend before trailing liver hit deer. I forget what color liver blood is but I want to say it is a rich red color and it isn't "frothy". Not sure what rich red color looks like, but lung is bright red with bubbles.

Missed the point about what you should have done differently.

1). Learn the anatomy of a deer.
2). Learn the different coloration of blood.
3). Learn how long you should wait depending on type of hit, see #2.
4). You're equipment is fine.

Unfortunately, that deer is dead now and made a good meal for the yotes, make some notes and learn from your mistake and try not to let it happen again. Some will say notch your tag and consider it a harvest/kill, that is your call, do what you see fit, you and only you have to live with the decision.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
1st we all get bad shots, but I shot a buck in the liver <first deer> and he didn't even go 30 yards and dropped dead. So I would almost bet you missed the liver too. Ok Just admit it you shot him in the *** didnt you? :)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
My friend shot one in the liver once and 4 hours later he was still alive and he had to shoot him again. Liver blood is darker than lung blood. As was the case with the above deer, the low wound plugged itself and quit bleeding, we had to track him. Luckily it was wet ground, or we might have lost him too.:) Sorry about the loss, Good Luck.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with the 1st poster - it couldn't have been a double lung hit.... I've taken well over a dozen deer with that type of hit, and haven't had one go more than 50 yards, with the majority expiring within 30 yards, and in about a minute or less... It's possible you might have nicked the liver - on solid liver hits I've recovered( for other people), they've usually went down within 150 yards, tops... A liver hit will leave VERY dark blood, and will sometimes show evidence of a partial gut shot(smell, fat, etc on the arrow)... Don't forget the experience - let it make you a more effective bowhunter... I've been deer hunting a LONG time, and have taken alot of deer with every legal impliment, and I still remember every detail of the 3 that got away from me, that I KNOW I hit... If it doesn't bother you to lose a deer, than IMO, you're not an ethical hunter... Live and learn, and use it for motivation to prevent it from happening again...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
First hit?

Is this the first deer you've ever hit? Where was the pin when you let it go? You will always know where your pin was, if you made a good shot. Chances are, if you don't remember, you weren't aiming, you were shooting.

To help track, its always nice to have another person to stand at last blood, and help keep your bearing. If he wasn't dead in an hour, I'm really unsure where you hit him. Not good, thats for sure. Even with a liver hit, he should be noticibly weaker, and slower moving if/when you jumped him.

I've liver/single lung hit deer and had them go over a mile, but they die. If you didn't go back on sunday and look some more, you should have. YOU owe it to THAT deer, to spend the next day looking for him. If you aren't going to bother looking for him, don't bother going. That goes for a fawn, to a monster buck.

Other than that, there isn't much you could have done. It was a less than perfect hit, and that happens from time to time. The only suggestion I have is next time, MAKE yourself PICK A SPOT and shoot at it. Don't just shoot at the deer, pick a rib, or tuft of hair. Then your arrow will find its mark....

Bo

·
Registered
359 Posts
I checked out the area- making small circles, but couldn't find him.
I'll check out the area again this weekend and see if there's some crows having lunch where I lost him
what should I have done differently?
I would of spent the next day or two on my hands and knees looking for that deer. I would of recruited help.

Bad shots happen to all of us - though your effort to revover seems to be a bit below par IMO. Just food for thought for the future:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts