Archery Talk Forum banner

Deer jumping the string without leeches

1578 19
I have a Parker Blackhawk and it is quick. I would say right now I am about 288-290 fps without string leeches. It is relatively quiet and it has a factory STS system. I want to keep the leeches off this season and get that arrow moving flat as possible. This will be my first season bow hunting. What is the reality that I will miss a deer without the leeches vs having them on?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Trollinus Maximus.
79,572 Posts
I have a Parker Blackhawk and it is quick. I would say right now I am about 288-290 fps without string leeches. It is relatively quiet and it has a factory STS system. I want to keep the leeches off this season and get that arrow moving flat as possible. This will be my first season bow hunting. What is the reality that I will miss a deer without the leeches vs having them on?
if hes alert, I dont think it makes that big a difference what you have on, wait till he is not alert to shoot, good luck.

· Banned
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What has driven this post is lots of deer have been killed by bows when they were much louder. If I am trying to squeeze every bit of speed out of my Blackhawk, I want to leave the leeches off.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
With as little speed loss as they cause--2 to 4 fps--I go with the quiet approach. I also use cat whiskers--they are effective and weigh half of what a leech does.

Marc:darkbeer::darkbeer:

· Registered
7,543 Posts
I bet this will draw some fire... but here goes. I believe that a deer that jumps a string is doing so because he saw the movement of the bow. Not because he heard it. I know that sound moves faster than an arrow but in terms of real time we are giving the deer credit for hearing the sound, processing it as a threat, and reacting ina small fraction of one second. Sight on the other hand is at the speed of light. He sees your bow move and he takes off,possibly before the arrow has left the bow. So, in my opinion, he won't notice if you had leaches on or not until it is WAY too late.Just my opinion. example: 20 yrd shot= 60 feet. arrow moving say only 240 fps. we are looking at roughly 1/4 of second for arrow to get there. I know it won't maintain 240 the whole way but we started low. Speed of sound lets say 900 fps. sound will get there in 1/15th of a second . that means that mr. deer gets approximately 3/16ths of a second to hear it.recognize it as a threat."they don't duck evrytime a squirrel barks". and decide it's time to leave and actually get started in motion and drop enough to be missed. 3/16ths of a second! I know they can jump a string but I believe it's visual. Leave the leaches off and wait til he blinks!lol

· Banned
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see some truth in your post. That is a very short amount of time for a deer to completely react to an arrow just from the sound. I could see at longer distances it becomes more of a factor.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
I have shot a lot of deer with the bow and I have never had a deer jump the arrow that wasn't already on alert. Once they are on alert, as stated above, aim low. They can't jump until they crouch down first. Problem is, they don't always jump and you may get a low hit. Movement and wind are your biggest disadvantage. Noise in itself doesn't cause them to jump the arrow.

· Registered
449 Posts
I have shot a lot of deer with the bow and I have never had a deer jump the arrow that wasn't already on alert. Once they are on alert, as stated above, aim low. They can't jump until they crouch down first. Problem is, they don't always jump and you may get a low hit. Movement and wind are your biggest disadvantage. Noise in itself doesn't cause them to jump the arrow.
i second that when you aim low you may get a low hit or even miss if he doesnt jump....... good post in my book:thumbs_up

· Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
I gained 7 fps when I had the pro shop take off the batwing solid rubber string suppressors off my Ross Carnivore and put on cat whiskers. Went from the mid 270's to the low 280's.

If you're that concerned, put on cat whiskers. Frankly, the deer will hear more and react more from your draw (visually and sound) than it will from the firing of your bow.

-Steve

· Registered
20 Posts
Limb noise

I've had deer jump the shot. In my case is was limb noise more than the string. I had cat whiskers on the string but nothing on the limbs. The limbs had a loud whack sound like slapping two pieces of wood together.:eek:

After I added Limbsavers to the bow limbs, I have not had a deer jump the shot. I have had several people comment on how quiet the bow is when I shoot next to them. If you don't have anything on the limbs now, I would seriously consider putting something on them.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
A well tuned bow is quit and doesn't need all that stuff on the string. I have been setting up my fast bow for years with out them and my bow are quit. I got a Black Ice two years ago and it shooting in the 280's with a 420 grain arrow and it is very quit and I can shoot great groups with broadheads also. A Limbsavers on the limbs, quiver hood, stabilizer and any thing that noise comes from do the same thing as some thing as goofy things on the string and doesn't slow the bow down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.