Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give us the story and equipment and how it performed. I love seeing the pictures but really enjoy the storys leading up to the kill.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Meat in the freezer! Yesterday morning a group of does busted me in a groundblind I have along a field edge. This morning, I climbed a treestand adjacent to the blind to get another crack at them. Around 7 am, a little red fox ran down the edge of the field. Since my back was to the field, I had to turn my head 180 degrees to keep my eyes on him. Just for fun, I made a few rabbit-in-distress calls with my mouth. The fox barely broke a stride at my imitation and kept moving. When I turned my head back again, six very perplexed does had materialized in the field. They didn't seem to know what to make of my squeaky noises.

I was about to take aim on the lead doe, but she turned and didn't offer a shot. Fortunately, another doe in the bunch stepped forward and turned broadside at 28 yds. I drew my 63# selfbow, "Twilight Wonder", and released. My bow shoots at the blistering speed of 150 fps, and as I listened to the native-cut feathers growl on their noisy, long flight towards the doe I remember thinking, "Good grief, Get there already!" My arrow struck slightly forward of my aim and nicked the doe's front legbone before piercing her lungs and lodging in the opposite legbone. As she bolted, I watched the shaft shear off under the motion of her legs. She ran across the soybean field and fell shortly after cresting a ridge; totalling perhaps 150 yds.

This was the first deer I've killed using a batch of tradepoints I made from circular saw blades. IMO, the penetration was kick-butt for hitting hard bone, though the tip curled slightly. It did a number on her lungs and left a decent blood trail to boot. I'm really pleased, though I know of at least one deer who hates them. :D

Link for Tradepoint construction:

http://community.webshots.com/album/90724974FsXgew

·
Registered
834 Posts
3:35 in the after noon west central wisconsin (jackson county) hunting a HUGE draw in my uncles woods (he owns 1600acres, i know im lucky) anyway.. very respectable 8pt comes in roughly 14in spread and 10in g2's in my book this is NOT a shooter (yes flame on) but he is only a 1 1/2 yr old buck and we dont shoot anything less that 3 1/2 year old bucks, so i let him walk around for a bit and he mosey's off, a little while later, 2 does each with triplits come in, so i figure i'll stick one of those does, so I quietly get up up, and wait for a clear shot.. it takes about 15min for the does to feed in close enough to me, i found it interesting that ALL of the does yearlings were tiny little spike bucks, NOT nubbins.. looks like our managment is really paying off :) anyway. i watch the big fat lead doe for round 15min, and she was walking toward an opening in the foliage, at this time i had 6 yearlings feeding on the trail right below me THANK GOD i was 28ft in the air and for the scent lok!, so she walked slowly toward the opening in the foliage, and i waited for her right front leg to go forward and release my arrow at 31 yards, SMACK broke the front ribs on both sides, then broke about 4in from the head, IMMEDIATE blood trail thanks to my thunderhead 100's (my favorite head) the doe ran 60 yards before crashing into the thickest gorge on the place.. it took me and hour and a half to drag her 60 yards, and im a fairly stout guy and do a lot of weight lifting (5'9 185) the bow is a martin tracer mag with a bo doodle 2 fin rest, trophy ridge flat liner sight, gold tip xt5575, thunder head broad heads, tru fire release, gander mountian guide series 4in1 parka and bib (this is THE best and quietest camo i've ever used HIGHLY recommend and WARM and WATER PROOF) hunters view cheapy hang on cause i buy 4-5 at a time :) and they're quiet and stable.

On a side note, this does FIELD DRESSED at 150lbs!!!!!! and i also saw a 170+ class 12pt he was monstrous, i think he was more like in the hi 180s (i study a lot about rack developement, and antler scoring) if you dont practice QDM I BEG YOU to try it.. we are very fortunate and in the area my uncle owns land its is ALL big land owners, and we all practice it so it works out good..

good luck, and good hunting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts