Archery Talk Forum banner

deer looking up

635 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Nuge60
I seem to have a problem with deer looking up at me in my treestand. I mean almost every deer. I am 20 feet up. I have good camo.[predator deception] I am quiet and I sit still.I am very careful about scent and I seldom get winded. The only thing I am doing different this year is no facemask. I have glasses and a facemask can be a pain. I see a lot of guys on TV not wearing facemasks. Even with this problem I have still taken two does this fall. One was looking right at me. The deer don't seem to spook too bad but they are definately looking right at me. Could it be because of no facemask?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,106 Posts
How hard are the deer pressured in your area? The deer here are hunted very hard from treestands and look up. I too wear glasses, but I wear a mask to help cover the glare. I also wear my cap pulled down do as to reduce the glare off the lens.
Dan

· aim small...miss small...
1,303 Posts
how high up in the tree do you hunt? are there any trees or limbs behind you to break up your outline? If you're being skylined it doesn't matter how good of camo you have on...all the deer will see is a big blob in the tree that normally isn't there

· Registered
8,309 Posts
Think about this....

look straight ahead...now shift your eyes to a tree 20 yards away...

you only have to move your eyeballs up maybe 1 or 2 degrees to see something 20 feet up in that tree..

I have been treestand hunting deer for 33 years now....they have ADAPTED to danger from above...

solution?

setup on the downward side of their trails....use as much cover as possible UP in the tree..

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am on private land and the pressure on the deer is fairly low. The problem may be getting skylined. The only thing is There are very few trees big enough to get up in. There is a lot of birch trees,scrub pines and brush with some popple mixed in. The popple are the only ones I can climb. Could I add some branches around me in the tree? How can I do it without them getting in the way?

· Registered
2,328 Posts
i have the same problem sometimes. then i find a tree that wide to break up my out line. if i can't find a wide tree. i put limbs around my stand when i put it up so when i'm in it hunting there no change. i think they see a dark blob up there, that is not there all the time. breaking up your outline helps. hope this helps, it did for me.

· Registered
5,106 Posts
I am on private land and the pressure on the deer is fairly low. The problem may be getting skylined. The only thing is There are very few trees big enough to get up in. There is a lot of birch trees,scrub pines and brush with some popple mixed in. The popple are the only ones I can climb. Could I add some branches around me in the tree? How can I do it without them getting in the way?
I realize this is a revolutionary idea :wink:, but try ground hunting. I have added more ground hunting options into my hunting and I am seeing way more deer even in heavily hunted areas. Don't tie yourself to one strategy.
Dan

· Registered
233 Posts
I used to experience deer looking up until I washed my camo with detergent that has no UV brighteners. It made all the difference in the world. UV brighteners make your camo appear to glow to deer and they will spot you right away. I think if you buy any good detergent that is made for washing hunting gear you will see that it states that it contains no UV brighteners.

· Registered
28,629 Posts
You are silhouetted and using the same stand too often. The deer have you patterned.

· Registered
169 Posts
silouhette

get lighter colored camo and use a no uv cleaner .also try your stand on the backside of the tees so the tree is between you and the deer as it approaches.threedhunter:rolleyes:

· Registered
656 Posts
Could be the UV. Also, try camo face paint rather than a mask. Sounds like you're also being silhouetted. I'd use every edge I can get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.