Archery Talk Forum banner

Deer Meat!

997 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bambieslayer
Reading these forums, and hearing people talk about "Back Straps" makes me hungry, to eat... and hunt. But I have to ask a question for many of you. How much of the meat do you keep? Do you ever leave a bone in any of it? Do you skin it right away?

We have found first of all that skining the deer while it's warm make it ALOT easier. Depending on temerature, we put a game net around it and let it sit a few days (except the loins :) ). My family has always kept the bone in the back straps and cut them out as "Chops". We found the bone in adds a ton of flavor and juiceiness! We found that trimming as much of the tendons and fat as possible helps in flavor too. We use the flank meat for stew or to make sausage, even Kabobs are good. Intersting enough one year we had a guest hunter who shot a nice doe and saved the neck meat. He made us a slow cooked neck roast that knocked our socks off.. The front legs are great for sausage and jerky.

Out of curiousity what do you guys do? :darkbeer:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
I skin ASAP,(your right it is ALOT easier). Hang a day or two if weather permits. Quarter then cut up as time allows. Chops and larger muscle groups from hind get vacume sealed. Everything else gets trimmed for jerky and grinding. No bones, no fat, no silver. When I get my sausage and stcks back it is the cleanest you'll see. I take the trimmings to a place in Medford WI that does a awesome job including venison bacon.

· Registered
532 Posts
Weather permitting, let deer hang for a week or two, really makes them tender. Skin and bone entire deer, have never left bones in anything. Anything that is tendony/fatty we mix with beef or pork to make hamburger/breakfast sausage. Backstrap we cut out to and freeze with that clear membrane on it, protects from freezer burn. Save both rump roasts for the crock pot. Neck meat, leg meat, etc...is what ends up as hamburger for the most part. Have never done anything with the ribs. Any other scraps of meat become jerky. oh and yes loins come out right away, part of the gutting process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.