Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm kinda new to the the whole bow hunting thing and was just curious if the Deer co-caine they are selling really works and what it does. I'm hunting on some big public so i'm looking for any advantage I can get. Maybe some tips on when and where to set it up. Our season is approaching here in Iowa so I want to get it in before it starts if its worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Lmfao

Are you serious? Is he serious? You've got to be kidding me. WOW... Is he... WOW

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Deer cocaine is a mineral lick and I am sure it works just as good as most mineral licks for attracting deer. However, it is illegal to hunt over bait in Iowa so I would not recommend it for a hunting setup.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I use it. its really no different than any other mineral that you put in the ground. and yes it does work. at least for me it works. put it out there and they find it pretty fast.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tried it. I had deer coming in every day until I put the co-caine out. Didn't see another deer for over 2 weeks. Maybe I did something wrong, but I followed the directions on the container.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it was ok to use it as long as you put it out before season and as long as it was a powder substance? Does this mean i need to pick up my stand? Honest answers please

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I thought it was ok to use it as long as you put it out before season and as long as it was a powder substance? Does this mean i need to pick up my stand? Honest answers please
Yes! Unless you want the fine for hunting a baited location.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Depends on what state you are in.

I tried it several years ago, mixed it into the dirt as per instructions.

Deer weren't really very interested...but the turkeys just loved it.:eek:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have used the deer-cain. Don't know if that is the same stuff or not. Don't get the Deer-Cain Black Majic. The regular stuff works excellent, but never had the black majic work at all.

I believe all the mineral is supposed to be gone by the time season starts. Don't even hunt remotely close to it. If somebody complains about it, it is up to the discretion of the officer to decide how close is too close. I have heard 100 to 200 yards is too close for some officers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't waste your money. As previous stated it soaks in the dirt. That could be considered a bait site. If you are new just practice shooting.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
what purpose does a mineral lick serve when the does are done nursing and the antlers are done growing?

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
#1 it's to late in the year for it to be effective really, #2 it's illegal to put it out now and then set a stand over it here in Iowa.
Deer Cane is good stuff, I start it early in the spring and the deer stay on it all spring, summer and into the early fall. I've had nothing but great luck with the Deer Cane Black Magic Powder over the past few years.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Nothing can be put out 30 days before season in Iowa my friend

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dont know what kind of hunter you plan on becoming but you will most likely never ever shoot a mature buck over bait of any sort in a area that recieves any hunting pressure. They are smart enough to know its not somthing that is natural to the spot.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dont know what kind of hunter you plan on becoming but you will most likely never ever shoot a mature buck over bait of any sort in a area that recieves any hunting pressure. They are smart enough to know its not somthing that is natural to the spot.
well your wrong i have shot3 P&Y over it and check out midwest whitetails a 190 class buck just got smoked in ohio last weekend over corn so maybe it's just you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts