Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble patterning deer late season? Out by me, deer seem to show up or not show up on the same exact conditions... Maybe out of 5 days 2 days pattern holds true, other 3 it does not. Anyone ever figure out what breaks a pattern temporarily? Deer getting spooked? Thought for sure I would have seen a few in the same spot I have been seeing em, and they no showed again.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
The presence of humans is most often the reason that deer change their movement pattern. Aside from food source availability.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
when we go out to eat,i sometimes take the back roads....sometimes i go to a different place to eat...even to a different town.
would you eat the same burger every day?.....that's your answer, in a different view.

·
Back down to ground level
16,303 Posts
Never been able to figure out why there won't be a track in the snow for days, or even weeks, then all of a sudden they all move on the same day, like they all got the same memo. Tracks everywhere, and deer crossing the roads and in the fields during daylight. No rhyme or reason. One pattern I see that sticks out during late season is when they do move it's 99% at night. They don't want to burn any more energy than they have to during the winter.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The entire area in general is great but poses many challenges...4-5 water sources spread out, many food sources spread out, many many deer trails - this is all over the course of about 250-275 acres. Lots of thick brush, i'm not talking about the type you can walk into or through either. The problem it poses is it becomes kinda a crap shoot or luck if you are going to hunt the correct one any given day. What I most about this specific spot is the fact that it sits between 2 ridges and has thick thick brush on one side that have had deer come out to rather browse or kinda lay out in the sun and get outta the wind. The issue is, it's very sporadic with no rhyme or reason given nearly identical conditions. Now that I think about it, the times I been busted deer have generally not come back the following day, but I believe the day after that?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Ive rarely ever seen them do the same thing twice!

They really should be the most patternable early and late season. If you are seeing them do the same thing 2 out of 5 days... id say you have a pattern!

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive rarely ever seen them do the same thing twice!

They really should be the most patternable early and late season. If you are seeing them do the same thing 2 out of 5 days... id say you have a pattern!
I was kinda hoping a pattern was a daily thing..lol

I been stalking this spot, but gonna throw a few rails and a climber up in the next few days, I can't stalk in range or get a clear shot from where I'm normally standing and can't get closer to do noise, not much cover, etc...

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never been able to figure out why there won't be a track in the snow for days, or even weeks, then all of a sudden they all move on the same day, like they all got the same memo. Tracks everywhere, and deer crossing the roads and in the fields during daylight. No rhyme or reason. One pattern I see that sticks out during late season is when they do move it's 99% at night. They don't want to burn any more energy than they have to during the winter.
I thought colder weather makes them move every few hours, not talking about long walks, but coming out the brush to browse or lay in the sun, etc..It seems on some days it holds very true, others you really wouldn't know it. I can have days now where I see 10-15 deer, generally between 1-4PM..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most of the time late season if its very cold I tend to see more deer during the mid afternoon. Always thought they were laying low conserving energy till it warmed up some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts