Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really know how to title this, but heres my dilemma-My cousin and I bowhunt only a 400 acre parcel that we haved leased for 4 years here in Texas. Last year an outfitter leased the land to the north of us to sell weekend day hunts on, and immediately came in and set up 5 feeders in about a half mile span directly on our north fenceline! They are honestly so close to our fence that the feet of the feeder stands are nearly under the barbed wire. In fact, they now have a game cam set up to watch one of the feeders that is wired to a tree on our side of the fence, which means they had to trespass to twist the wire! Normally in Texas, at least on the leases I've been on, its customary to set feeders at least a couple hundred yards off border fences! This guys rifle stands are less than 100 yards off the fenceline, making it highly possible to shoot 200 yards or more into my lease! This not only makes us think they are probably killing deer on our side, but also makes it pretty scary for a couple of bowhunters to hunt anywhere close to the north border of our lease for fear of getting shot! We talked to their landowner with no good result, then talked to our landowner. He took the game warden out there and showed him the situation. The warden was pissed and told us that though they had been trying to pass a law requiring feeders to be set off the fencelines, it hadn't been done yet. So basically as long as they were on their side there wasn't much we could do, BUT...he also told us with a grin, that turnabout was fair play and that as long as we stayed on our side we could do nearly anything we wanted to to deter deer moving to these feeders. What I'm wondering, is do any of you have any ideas on things we coud do to accomplish this? We aren't A holes and have tried to resolve this nicely, but have had no luck! And the camera thing was like a slap in the face, because it was put up after all the efforts we made to clear this up friendly like! Thanks for any ideas and comments, I figure some of you guys are in the same situation and a few of you might even be on the other side of this unethical issue!?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Let me set a stand on your fenceline... with the luck I have it is almost gauranteed no bucks will even come close :wink:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Go get some hair from a barbershop. Spead it around and while doing that releive yourself in the same area. Be sure to drink lots of water or coffee before you go out.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Hair will work. Go to a barber shop and get hair. Maybe even some mothballs.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Good luck, this doesn't look like it is going to end well. Do you have a road on the fenceline? I'd have someone drive the road every night about 30 minutes before dark every weekend.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! I've heard of some of these ideas, but some are totally new! Thanks guys and keep em comin'!

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
They make a product called "Deerout" but you would have to trespass to spray the area,...i suggest you purchase a tower stand and set it up on your side of the fenceline between 2 of the feeders. you could also possibly add electric fence posts to the top of your fence,..string a wire high and one low, get a fence charger and heat it up,...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
go to the dollar store and get about $20 worth of those wind up alarm clocks. day before opener go out and hide them along that fence line... set to go off 20 mins apart. He will be so fed up after searching for the second or third one he will give up and call you... you are doing nothing wrong and you will trade him no more alarm clocks if his feeders move

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Get some friends togather and have a huge paintball war when there hunting.

·
8,435 Posts
go to the dollar store and get about $20 worth of those wind up alarm clocks. day before opener go out and hide them along that fence line... set to go off 20 mins apart. He will be so fed up after searching for the second or third one he will give up and call you... you are doing nothing wrong and you will trade him no more alarm clocks if his feeders move
Now i like that,...lol,..have also heard you can use dawn dish soap,..short term kinda...it will bubble up when it rains,...oops,...west texas,...rain,..haha,....next.........

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'd invite guests to hunt your side near their feeders. Anyone paying them to hunt will not be happy about the neighbors being so close. I would also use this area a parking spot for my truck while I hunt the rest of the 400 acres.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
now this is an excellent idea and well thought out, i guess you have done it before haha seriously I would do this!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd go about this another way. Hang stands, place blinds ect let them pay to fill the feeders (I'm assuming feeders are legal where you are). A couple stands or ground blinds right on the border should send the message right back. I know that its petty and really low to be hunting borders like that but it seems to me he's trying to draw the deer off your land. Most weekend hunters paying to hunt that area aren't going to be wanting to shoot across your border when theres a blind sitting there. Make sure that its well marked with an orange band or something so they know its there and doesn't become a safety issue. Also have you talked directly to the people leasing the land and expressed your concern, not just the owner they're leasing it from. Bring up how you feel about it and if they don't want to work with you, how you could spend weekends driving the fence line with an atv scaring every deer that there paying clients are hunting. And if they put a trail cam on your land/tree you may just want to clip the wire and return the camera too them during your visit.

·
8,435 Posts
perhaps post a no trespassing sign on every other fence post,....facing his direction,....show the trespass to hang the camera to your local warden or NRO.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would've never thought of some of this stuff! I'm listenin'!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts