Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to say, that for a LARGE portion of Iowa, deer #s are way, way, down? I only hope that the DNR slows down the large slaughter of does they have been advocating for the last few years.
I know every time a deer gets hit on the Hwy, or a acre of corn gets damaged, everyone crys for the reduction of the deer herd.
Deer is the only game left in Iowa. the pheasant #s are unbelievably BAD! No hunters left in the state of iowa to walk plowed fields with NO birds.
I see deer #s heading quickly in that same direction. Good luck trying to sell licenses to in a state where there is NO wildlife left.
Why do we have to deplete everything? Do other Iowa hunters agree or disagree with me?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I live and hunt MO/IA border and our numbers are WAAAAAY down too this year....but how much of it is because of all the corn still standing and all the weather?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No corn left here in North Central Iowa.
The problem we have up here is this. You can go for 5 or 10 miles and not see a deer or any place for a deer to be. Than you have a mile or two of river bottom, and what deer there were are all piled in there. Than the farmer gets 20 or 30 defimation dags, and essentially wipes out the deer herd for a 10 mile radius.
Southern & eastern iowa are of course different, but in N.C. Iowa, the game is all but over. And yes, I bow hunted 30 to 40 days, I have a very good idea.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
LOL...name any midwestern state and you can find the same exact kinda posts here on AT. Numbers are way down...gotta be cause of the "doe slaughter"...etc, etc, etc.

I dunno what it is, but yes, I saw fewer deer this year in NE and NW MO and all of our team members had similar experiences whether it was MO, IL, MI, WI, IN, OH, or MN.

One thing I do know for sure is that the properties I hunt in NE and NW MO have NOT seen doe slaughters and are big enough that surrounding properties could not be killing so many does that it would equate to the fewer deer we have seen.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
The doe massacre is taking it's toll. Do your part and don't shoot a doe. I've done my part.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Iowa Deer Numbers

I am in total agreement with what Kruck5 has posted. I also believe that anyone who doesn't see the deer numbers dropping here in Iowa is just.... well, I'll leave it at that. The antlerless only seasons that go on and on are taking a toll on does and shed bucks. I am concerened not only for myself, but especially for young hunters.
I bowhunt only and encourage all who do bowhunt to join the IBA [Iowa Bowhunters Association] to keep a strong voice going for us.
Anxious to hear what other people are thinking about this situation, I'm sure there will be some bashing take place on this subject.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Deer numbers are down in SC Iowa where I hunt. Seeing tons of young bucks this year, almost too many.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Is there a conspiracy going on? The DNR has done the same thing here in Minnesota and the way it sounds Wisconsin is low on numbers too. Heck lastnight on the news there was something about how bad the Wisconsin hunting season was this year. Doesn't it seem odd that the doe population in Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin have taken such a beating for the last few years? Why is that?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I hunt east central IA and I have seen fewer deer this year. There are still a lot of deer around here, but not like I would want it. I usually buy a couple extra doe tags every year, as I did this year. I have yet to shoot a doe this year and I might just leave these tags in my pocket as a little assurance. If I don't buy these tags, someone will, as Jones county always sells out of bonus tags. Nobody says I have to use them. I am fortunate enough to have good ground to hunt, and I don't want it to become mediocre or worse.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brent is correct as well, there seems to be a unlimited # of antlerless tags. This season is very late and MANY shed bucks are being taken as well.
I have heard in iowa, hunting license purchases for pheasants are down 70%.There are no pheasants. How is the DNR going to finance itself when deer permits fall 70% do to a lack of numbers?
I hope and beg the DNR to take a look at the #s. They seem to react rather than act. Dont wait tell the herd is desimated to stop the slaughter. PLEASE

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The doe massacre is taking it's toll. Do your part and don't shoot a doe. I've done my part.
That has been the issue here for several years. The reduction of deer is the stated goal of our DNR, so they will keep giving out doe tags like candy. It will be up to each hunter to excercise his own management decisions via the trigger or string.
Dan

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
yep i believe we are seeing the same thing here in Mid MO, the unlimited doe tags are putting a hurt on the herd, i know of several people who have shot 5 does a piece and a couple that shot more than 6, and usually they give them away, also a local hunter shot 20 does, since the farmer got the property damage tags, with the greedy farmers and brilliant MDC its a bad combo!:pukey:

·
Registered
113 Posts
last year first couple weeks of bow season it was not uncommon to see close to 30 deer in the field at once!! This year The most in 1 sitting was probably 8! Definately way down, I think next year I'm going to talk the family into not shotgun hunting and instead I'll get a couple of doe tags and travel around to some public land with a friend of mine and shoot them some does and leave our deer alone!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It's ok.. we have plenty of does in Florida.. so when your BIG BUCK state runs out of deer to hunt... we will have to charge you guy's big bucks (pun intended) to shoot one of our small deer:mg:

I knew something would work out one day...:wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
We still have plenty of does for the most part.

I have some farms that I have aggressively harvested does and they are at almost 1:1 buck to doe... they are great fun to hunt. We don't take lots of does off those farms though...

I think you just have to use common sense when you harvest does... just because the dude at walmart will sell you 25 doe tags doesn't mean you can harvest 25 does a year off your 80 acre farm (no problem with the centerfire season in southern Iowa) and not see the effects.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
My observation is the same, way less deer this year. I don't understand the logic of people that don't think you can hurt a deer population by shooting too many does.That's the most ludicrous mindset I've seen in a while.....

I think the Nov doe gun season should be stopped immediately. and I would like to see point restrictions on bucks also.The same morons that state there are PLENTY of deer, can't seem to kill one....hmmmm.

I only take does on my properties that have good numbers, the others I just trophy hunt.Shooting too many does, along with 2 bad winters in a row, and we will definitely see the impact.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's EL Nino!!!!!!!!!! Hunting and fishing always sucks when EL Nino is around. It will be better next year.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts