Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that deer see the white arrow wraps on arrows? About two years ago I switched to arrows with white wraps. Every since then, I have noticed that most deer, once within shooting range, look directly at me. I hunt very high and wear total camo. The white wraps on the arrows really stand out in the woods, similar to the white on the underside of a deers' tail... Which is what deer use to warn each other of danger. Just wanted to get other hunters opinion on this.... I'm going to switch back to arrows without the white on them and give it a try...any opinions?

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
not a chance:wink:

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
I'd wager it's more closely related to movement or lack of good cover than it is the white wraps. Either that or the deer have been educated to the point that they are conditioned to look up at the stand.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Is it possible that deer see the white arrow wraps on arrows?
I've posted questions about fletching color choices in the past and only got bashed into submission by others here.

Personally I feel that the bright colors can in fact get busted, especially with all white wraps and fletching. I have used black/olive/grey color combos, but it can be harder to find the arrows if you shoot them into tall grass. I have since switched my arrows to orange/black and chartruse/black vane combinations, that way they are bright so I can see them in flight, but the colors alternate and do not stand out as much as an all white vane/wrap quiver will.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yes when they are in your quiver. thats way you see guys like me put a cover over them in the quiver. Deer don't see color but when they are together it make one big color. I tried pink wrap this year and they were seeing them too in my quiver so I made a camo cover and they stopped seeing it right away. You will notice when they get close they look right up at you if they are not covered. Good bowhunters who use white are a solid bite colors have known this for years. I really didn't think they would see zebra hot pink, but they was until I put a cover over them in the quiver and It made a really big difference. I get up 25 to 30 feet in a tree and they were looking right at me so they were seeing my arrows in the quiver. Covered them and they didn't know I was there.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I don't know. But I use white fletching and never felt i was busted by the fletching. Frankly, if the deer are close enough to see your wraps they are close enough to see you camo and all. Camo does not make them blind.

Where I hunt there is all sorts of bright colors from fall leaves, to white birch bark, to dead branches. Frankly, I think the size and shape are more of a concern.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I have been using white & pink wraps with white & pink Blazers for a few seasons now & I am yet to have a deer get nervous because of them.

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
Where I hunt there is all sorts of bright colors from fall leaves, to white birch bark, to dead branches. Frankly, I think the size and shape are more of a concern.
Same here. We get bright yellows and fire reds. I've never hunted in a tree where I could get 25' to 30' high. Typically they're hedge, (Osage orange) hackberry, mulberry or cedars and I'm 10' to 15' up and depending on the cover. I use bright yellow wraps and yellow and white vanes. Being color blind it sure helps me to pick up the arrow in flight and when it's stuck in the ground!

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I think some of you all can't be still in the tree!!:wink: Probably look like your doing the pee pee dance up there or something!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I never liked white wraps, 4 or 5 arrows together in a quiver can look like a deers tail. It's one of the deers warning signals. Also, I have seen several hunters moving through thick brush with white wraps. At a distance, they did resemble a deer. We all hear of accidental shootings, I wouldn't don't carry red or blue during turkey season, why white during deer. Just my thoughts on anything white during deer season.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
I think a big blob of white in the tree is definitely more noticeable. If I had white wraps and white fletching, I'd not have the quiver on my bow for sure. The movement of drawing will be easier to pick up by deer IMO.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definitetely like the white wraps for seeing the arrow after the shot.. I always remove my quiver and hang it in the tree higher than myself. I don't believe they are picking up movement, because there is non. It may just be smart old does. I think I'm going to try to find a cover for the arrows and give this a try.. Thanks

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Setting in tree hunting deer for 45 years taking 15 P&Y bucks and 150 to 170 deer your do leaner a few things about bowhunting. They do see solid colors like white. Way do you think Ted Nugent has a cover over his white arrow. Ted had the same problems with deer seeing his arrows in the quiver. I don't think deer see colors, but do see solid colors that are bright and that reflect light. Way do you ware a face mask or paint on your face to cover up a solid color that reflects light like white dose in a group of arrows. If it doesn't way not just go out in a white shirt and hunt if they can't see white.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I'd wager it's more closely related to movement or lack of good cover than it is the white wraps. Either that or the deer have been educated to the point that they are conditioned to look up at the stand.
I agree, and that's the main reason I remove my quiver as soon as I get in the stand. I don't want my floursecent colored fletchings to be dancin' around as I raise my bow or draw.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I also think they see the large mass of bright fletching/wraps while in the quiver. Considering the iowa fall turkey season coincides with deer season it only makes sense to cover them up to try to outwit them gobblers as well as deer. I prefer a white reflective wrap with pink vanes for the best visibility, even after dark, especially with a flashlight.

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,179 Posts

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
Bowdon I agree that deer can "see" light colors. Perhaps not with the same clarity that we do but they can certainly see the difference in shade. I would just contend that not many colors especially in small surface areas like fletching or wraps will alarm deer if they aren't moving. I cover my face with a mask because I've noticed how much light a face can catch when it's moving side to side looking around in a stand. If a tree full of bright yellow leaves doesn't flip a deer out I'm just not sure why my yellow fletching will?

Not looking to argue with your experience I just haven't had it happen to me yet - knock on wood! :wink:

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
there is no natural white in the woods where i hunt, probably not much were you are either, few birds in the woods even have white on them,,, few animals have worse eye site than a person, and you put white on for one reason, so you can see it,, it probably looks like a friggin flashlight to a deer!!!
no white goes to the woods with me no wraps no fletching,, i do use bright colors, they are seen in shades, but white is white is white... i have picked up several hunters who were not moving just because of a little bit of white showing where it shouldnt be... if i can see it you better believe they do!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts