Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a massive skull and horns (150ish) while scouting the other day. It looks like it was killed in velvet this year a month or so ago. All the meat and velvet was pretty much cleaned off of it already, but it smells horrible. I've already lightly cleaned it with bleach water and have the skull in salt. Any tips on getting rid of the smell and cleaning it up to display it in the house? Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
252 Posts
soak it in bleach for about five minutes then when it drys put it back in you dont want to loose the color:)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Get a big pot, fill with water and heat...put the skull in and boil the heck out of it...then take it to the car wash and blast all the stuff out...then get clean water put some peroxide in and do the same thing over...works like a charm...thats how I did this... View attachment 174584

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Depending on what state you are in you could get in trouble for having it...in Nebraska you can't have a skull unless it has that metal tag...no matter what.

·
11,952 Posts
NerdHick said:
Get a big pot, fill with water and heat...put the skull in and boil the heck out of it...then take it to the car wash and blast all the stuff out...then get clean water put some peroxide in and do the same thing over...works like a charm...thats how I did this... View attachment 174584
Just dont use your wifes new spagetti pot unless you want to have a lot of explaining to do.

Trust me. :embara:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I bet that hurt!! I used a 33 gal drum cut in half...just be careful of rust...you'll notice a red tint in that pic thats what will happen...

-NerdHick

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
skull

Thanks, do you just boil it in plain water? Do you have to put anything on it after to protect it and give it the shine? And the Game Warden was actually with me and gave me a release for the skull:wink:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The first time its plain water, the second time its with peroxide...or if you want to spend the money just use peroxide and thats it...I haven't tried that yet but I saw that on "Dirty Jobs," don't need to boil with plain peroxide...

The first boil just cleans, second makes white...

Its a long process but worth it I think. I like skull mounts almost better then the full head...

-NerdHick

·
11,952 Posts
NerdHick said:
I bet that hurt!! I used a 33 gal drum cut in half...just be careful of rust...you'll notice a red tint in that pic thats what will happen...

-NerdHick

Yep. My wife and her friend went out for coffee and I decided to boil my antlers. They came home and the whole house smelled like boiled fat. Plus in all my genius I decided to use her new Calphalon (sp?) spagetti pot. The house did smell like crap, it took about a week for the stink to clear out.

:pukey:

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Whaack said:
Yep. My wife and her friend went out for coffee and I decided to boil my antlers. They came home and the whole house smelled like boiled fat. Plus in all my genius I decided to use her new Calphalon (sp?) spagetti pot. The house did smell like crap, it took about a week for the stink to clear out.

:pukey:
Man you have to do all that boiling outside.........then just wash the pan and return it to it's rightful place.:embara:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
OH, OUTSIDE OUTSIDE OUTSIDE!!!

I used one of the turkey fryer deals...

I feel your pain...my wife would have cut my nuts off!!!
-NerdHick

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
skull

That sounds like something I would do Whaack. I just checked it again, and the horns and everything stink...how do you get rid of the smell on them?

·
Registered
234 Posts
skull

Does boiling work on skulls that have some dried, hard meat on it?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
the smell comes from rotting flesh and blood...get all that out and the smell will go away...

or just leave it outdoors where critters can't get to it and let nature take its course...

-NerdHick

·
Registered
297 Posts
To add a degreasing/cleaning agent use Arm&Hammer Washing Soda to the first boil/simmer. This is the same thing as Sal-Soda used by tazedermists.

·
Registered
395 Posts
boil it, scrape off all meat, use a coat hanger to get everything out from the nostrils, etc. ZSoak it in peroxide to whiten it, then put it in Borax and baking sode to completely dry it out.

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Don't boil unless you want brittle craked bones. Simmer in hot water with regular dish soap. Aws the water clouds chand it out with more slowly reduse soap till yor simmering with clear water. When you get it that far you could try the baking powder soap/powder if it still smells. But I bet a week in the sun will take care of the rest. Use strong peroxide if you want super white. Sand lighty with fine paper soak a few hours if its the strong peroxide. Do not get any on the antlers. Lay paper towle over skull cap and keep moist. It will not be super whit till you activate in the sun a few days.

You will be able to get all dried meat off this way as the soaking/simmering will loosedn it all. And between changes of water you can scrape or blaste semi-cool skull with garden hose to remove internal parts. Watch for theeth in pan so you can glue back in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts