Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Leggo My Eggo
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a 3D deer target to better prepare me for shooting at a live animal. Do you think that using a 3D target will better prepare a hunter for making the shot at a live animal? Or do you feel that shooting a standard bag/block target is all that is really needed?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Everyone one will have thier likes or dislikes. I practice with both and enjoy shooting both. For me shooting at dots can't compare to shooting a 3D target.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
usually I just shoot at a water bottle cap in my black hole target. I practice and know where my arrow goes and when I shoot at a deer I just put the pin in that pocket right behind the shoulder. Works every time unless the deer is really close. Then I just hold a tad higher.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Last year was my first year to use a deer target and IMO I thought it helped my overall perspective of shooting at a live deer. To me it just helped to find the pocket that BOHO mentioned a little quicker.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I always had the problem of shooting brown, so I started shooting a foam deer a few years ago. That helped me start "picking a spot". now it has just become instinct to pull up on the "10 ring". Double lung.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I use both and feel it helps to better understand a deers anatomy. I feel many are two quick to just put behind the shoulder and release. You need to understand the anatomy and how the different positions of a deer's leg can change your aiming point. For example, if the leg is back then if you put behind the shoulder, then you could possible put a bad shot on the animal. A 3D target is not necessary tho as you can just get a paper target with anatomy shown to give a better practice session IMO

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
Not to highjack but what is the best buck target?

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
we used to shoot mckenzies. I had a glen dell or whatever its called. you better not hit a little low or you can kiss that $15 arrow goodbye. also if you shoot a 3d target, dont just shoot broadside shots. shoot it at different angles and see how you did. always try to shoot where the arrow comes out tight behind the opposite front leg.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
i like the 3d target. with that, i shoot a lot of arrows at regular targets too. i can hit where i aim, but the 3d will allow me to just reinforce exactly where to aim. and it helps to show you angles and shot placement from treestand heights and quartering shots.

i think they are more important for kids and beginners as far as helping them pick a spot and not aim at brown. but they are still fun. i picked up a rinehart broadhead buck on ebay pretty cheap and so far so good with it. i like that the entire deer is foam for when i want to let kids and beginners shoot it. plus if you really want to you can carry it to your stand as a decoy, and shoot a field point in it for realistic practice after every hunt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts