Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think of a new gps for next year. I been looking for delorme earthmate pn40 and the garmin oregon 400. I like the topo maps and i like that it tell you every thing you need to know for hunting and fishing. The earth mate supose to have google earth so you not only have a topo map you have picture of the place also. I will like to know if anybody have eather of them and what you think good or bad. I know battery life is short i have no problem carry around batteries.

Just in case there other gps that i should look at. I want

sun rise & sun set
moon rise & moon set
tides table
tope maps
will like beromerter
compass is not inporten i carry one always and dont trust eletric compass.
Be nise to trnafur infor to my computor
be abale to make notes
please let me know with any info

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think of a new gps for next year. I been looking for delorme earthmate pn40 and the garmin oregon 400. I like the topo maps and i like that it tell you every thing you need to know for hunting and fishing. The earth mate supose to have google earth so you not only have a topo map you have picture of the place also. I will like to know if anybody have eather of them and what you think good or bad. I know battery life is short i have no problem carry around batteries.

Just in case there other gps that i should look at. I want

sun rise & sun set
moon rise & moon set
tides table
tope maps
will like beromerter
compass is not inporten i carry one always and dont trust eletric compass.
Be nise to trnafur infor to my computor
be abale to make notes
please let me know with any info
Garmin supports mac. Not sure about the other. In case you use an apple or are considering using an apple.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got the Delorme and it is amazing! Very easy to use and easy to download maps.
Also Amazon.com has them for $229.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I own the Garmin Colorado 400T and the Delorme P40. The main difference between the Colorado and Oregon models is the touch screen. The Oregon being the touch screen model.

~ Ease of usage: I rate them the same. Different menus but once you've understood them the ease of usage is the same.

~ Acquiring a signal: The Garmin was twice as fast in new areas. Once an area was set both acquired the signal at the same rate.

~ Display: Garmin

~ Topo Maps: Both equal with the same descriptions

~ Battery life: Garmin seemed to last a liitle longer. Never time it, just no how often I had to replace batteries in both units.

Controls: Oregon - touch screen, my assumption it would be difficult to use with gloves that's why I bought the Colorado. Delorme has buttons which are more user friendly using gloves.

~ Accuracy: I waypoint same locations and the Delorme was more accurate on the display and reaching the locations.

~ Satellite Maps: Delorme's ability to download satellite maps makes all the difference. You will visually see trails, timber roads, skid trails open meadows etc etc that a topo map could never show. This feature alone over rides any advantages the Garmin would have. You do have to pay for the maps, it's a yearly subscription, I "think" around $40.00 but well worth it.

George

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the info.
'are you saying delorme cant find new aera. i do alot of out of state hunting. i usly print out topo and google maps where i plan to hunt. that why i was look at the delorme i will have them ready to use

I own the Garmin Colorado 400T and the Delorme P40. The main difference between the Colorado and Oregon models is the touch screen. The Oregon being the touch screen model.

~ Ease of usage: I rate them the same. Different menus but once you've understood them the ease of usage is the same.

~ Acquiring a signal: The Garmin was twice as fast in new areas. Once an area was set both acquired the signal at the same rate.

~ Display: Garmin

~ Topo Maps: Both equal with the same descriptions

~ Battery life: Garmin seemed to last a liitle longer. Never time it, just no how often I had to replace batteries in both units.

Controls: Oregon - touch screen, my assumption it would be difficult to use with gloves that's why I bought the Colorado. Delorme has buttons which are more user friendly using gloves.

~ Accuracy: I waypoint same locations and the Delorme was more accurate on the display and reaching the locations.

~ Satellite Maps: Delorme's ability to download satellite maps makes all the difference. You will visually see trails, timber roads, skid trails open meadows etc etc that a topo map could never show. This feature alone over rides any advantages the Garmin would have. You do have to pay for the maps, it's a yearly subscription, I "think" around $40.00 but well worth it.

George

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I think he was saying that the Delorme just takes a little longer to acquire the satellites in a new area.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that's correct, thanks for the clarification........Sorry I wasn't clear. I kept the Delorme and sold the Garmin.
you was clear i just did not word it right. i was wounder how long but if you keeping the delorme then it must not been that long of time

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I bought my Delorme PN-40 about 2 weeks ago for 199.00 from Amazon. Must have been a 24hr deal cause they are 229.00 now.

I really like this thing. Comapred to my Magellan 200 this thing is in a totally different league.

·
Registered
68 Posts
PN-40 Delorme definetly. With the available mapping options and the Map subcription for 30.00 a year you can't beat it. The customer service is outstanding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts