Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the golf world there are events called Demo Days. A bunch of manufacturers will show up at a driving range, or a large retailer, and let people try out equipment. There will be a large selection of things to try, and in many cases you can buy what you've tried. (Especially if the event is held at a retailer.)

Yesterday I went over to one of the local shops in the hope of trying out some bows. I have a Merlin Max 2000 that I'm pretty happy with, but I'd really like to try out some other bows to see what I'm missing. When I got to the shop it was closed. This was about 2:00PM in the afternoon. Maybe the shop has summer hours and is open more in the winter. But it's bow hunting season, the busiest time of the year for shops. You'd figure they'd be open 24 hours a day.

In any case I didn't get to try any bows, and to be honest, I'm completely frustrated. It seems to be REALLY difficult to find bows to try out. A good bow is a significant investment. There is no way I'm going to invest that kind of money without being able to try the bow out. It's beginning to look like the only way to try bows out is to buy used ones in the classifieds area and resell them if you don't like them. But if you find a used bow that you like, why would you then buy a new one?

Is there such thing as an Archery Demo Day?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Most ma& pop shops have funny hours.We archers are an individual bunch.They stay there all weekend and most likely will take monday off or open late.............if something has happened they just close the shop.
I'm glad not all shops are like that however.
I've never seen a good pro shop that wouldn't take the time to set up a bow and let you test drive it.I also see the need for locking devices.......people will dry fire their equipment......nobody wants to spend good money on a bow thats been dryfired.
If they don't want to let you try the bow,tell them you'll find a shop that will.
There is a demo day in archery,in fact, quite a few.........the biggest is called Vegas.
Good luck in your search,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
AT every major shoot this year, BowTech brought their entire line of bows....
Winternationals,TX, World Indoors, OH, all the ASA's, all the national triple crowns...Vegas, NFAA indoors and outdoors, Redding Trail shoot.....

If there is a shoot, we will come....:D

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Sounds great Stodrette!!! I'm having a shoot at my house this weekend:D 2 miles north and 2 miles east of Alvo Nebraska, shoot hours are from 8 Am to 5 PM!!! Oh and don't forget to bring all the 2004 models;)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
demo days

In golf, it's easy to have demo days...almost everybody can hit a golf club...the fit isn't as critical as, say the difference between a 26"draw and a 31" draw...the time on a bow press would scare almost any shop owner on a Saturday or even a weekday, changing cams, resetting draw weights, etc...you'd be better off going to a major shoot and spending a day just shooting the new equipment there.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I can answer my own question. Go to a manufacturer's site and click on Calendar. Looks like the World Outdoor Chamionships or Atlantic City are the closest tournaments for me.

In order to try out some bows I have to wait until next year and drive 3 and a half hours. (The world championships are probably not going to be in NY next year so I guess I need to wait until next year and drive 5 and a half hours.)

Sigh...

baldmountain said:
What's the line between a major shoot and a non-major shoot?

Regionals?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Regional shoot?
It is important to understand the rules of each organization as well.....I believe, you can't set up at an FITA/NAA event unless you sponsor the NAA...

So when you talk of regional shoots what are you refering to????

wwag: go ahead and call the office as they are much closer to you than I.....;)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry. I used the wrong term. I meant NFAA Field sectionals. I went to the NE sectionals and was surprised to see no one...

Don't mind me. I'm being crabby today. My wife would say I have BMS. (*****y Man Syndrome)

stodrette said:
Regional shoot?
It is important to understand the rules of each organization as well.....I believe, you can't set up at an FITA/NAA event unless you sponsor the NAA...

So when you talk of regional shoots what are you refering to????

wwag: go ahead and call the office as they are much closer to you than I.....;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts