Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in another thread about cleaning the inside of carbon shafts with denatured alcohol. Where do you purchase it? I typically use isopropyl, but everyone in that thread is using denatured.

Thanks for the help.

John

·
Banned
8,373 Posts
pa10point said:
I was reading in another thread about cleaning the inside of carbon shafts with denatured alcohol. Where do you purchase it? I typically use isopropyl, but everyone in that thread is using denatured.

Thanks for the help.

John
Most hardware stores should have it

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
The same place you get isopropyl. Atleast thats the way it is around here. You just have to read the bottle.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,285 Posts
LEADWORKS said:
how does the inside of your arrow shafts get dirty? :confused3:
When you cut a carbon shaft,
the carbon dust can get trapped inside.

If you glue a target point or an insert
inside the carbon shaft, the carbon dust can
coat the glue instead of creating a bond
to the actual interior of the carbon shaft.

Powdered graphite is a common dry lubricant.
(basically carbon dust).

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
JAVI said:
It's them pesky dirtdobbers... they keep building nests in the shafts...:wink:
Naw JAVI, it's them dang arrowdobbers. Can't keep them suckers out of my shafts either. That's why I lost $20 last night shooting tic-tac-toe with my buds, yea, thats the ticket! hahahaha

NC

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Ivorytooth said:
The pharmacies don't have that on the shelf. It is behind the counter. You have to ask them for it.
I figured that was only in Utah.:wink:

Powdered graphite is a common dry lubricant.
(basically carbon dust).
Totally different. "Graphite" arrows were never "graphite"....would make a mess of your hands if they were. Different molecular structures of the same elements...with totally different characteristics.

All I do is blow the big chunks out and glue away.:)

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Isopropyl Alcohol is best for cleaning

Isopropyl Alcohol - Isopropanol is produced from Propylene, which is rectified from naphtha extracted from oil. It's more effective at dissolving grease and oil and it is somewhat less volatile, which means you can wipe it off the surface you are cleaning before it evaporates. Isopropyl alcohol is also commonly used as a cleaner and solvent in industry. It is also used as a gasoline additive (HEAT) for dissolving water or ice in fuel lines. Isopropanol is the main ingredient in rubbing alcohol.

Rubbing Alcohol - using Formula 23-H (8 parts by volume of acetone, 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone, and 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol). It contains 68.5-71.5% by volume of absolute ethyl alcohol, the remainder consisting of water and the denaturants, with or without colour additives, and perfume oils. Rubbing Alcohol contains in each 100 mL not less than 355 mg of sucrose octaacetate or not less than 1.40 mg of denatonium benzoate. The preparation may be coloured with one or more colour additives. A suitable stabilizer may also be added.

Ethyl Alcohol - Grain alcohol. Everclear is 190 proof or 151 proof ethyl alcohol. (FYI - Federal Excise Tax on ethyl alcohol is $13.50 per 100 proof gallon or $27.00 per gallon on 200 proof and $25.65 per gallon on 190 proof.)

Denatured Alcohol - pure ethyl alcohol that has had a denaturant added to make the alcohol unfit for drinking. The most common denaturant is methanol (wood alcohol).

Methanol - Wood Alcohol. Cooking wood in a container that withstands the heat and allow the gases to escape. Collected gases were distilled into turpentine and wood alchohol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts