Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke out my pro chrono pal and shot my 340 through it with 2 different arrow weights. The bow is set a 29.5 inch draw, the draw weight on birth certificate indicated 71.3 max, however, the dealer backed off max just a touch and the best I can determine the bow is pulling just over 70 pounds (70.2 according to easton digital scale). The first arrow had a total arrow weight of 358 grains. 5 shots through the chrono varied between 327 and 328 fps. The second arrow weight was 443.5 grains. 5 shots with this arrow produced a reading of mostly 296fps and 1 shot at 295 fps. I weighed the arrows with my grain scale and the weights are very accurate. :)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, I use an Anchor sight and there is nothing on the string except a d-loop.:)

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
thanks for the results.I'm waiting to test drive a 340.I'm going to be shooting a 390grn arrow at 31"draw so I cant wait to see what the max will be.I'm probably going to crank it down some too but keep it around 310fps.

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
thanks for the results.I'm waiting to test drive a 340.I'm going to be shooting a 390grn arrow at 31"draw so I cant wait to see what the max will be.I'm probably going to crank it down some too but keep it around 310fps.
Yeah you would need to crank it down to about 50 for your old bones. :chortle:

Sounds like it is shooting right where they say it should be.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Broke out my pro chrono pal and shot my 340 through it with 2 different arrow weights. The bow is set a 29.5 inch draw, the draw weight on birth certificate indicated 71.3 max, however, the dealer backed off max just a touch and the best I can determine the bow is pulling just over 70 pounds (70.2 according to easton digital scale). The first arrow had a total arrow weight of 358 grains. 5 shots through the chrono varied between 327 and 328 fps. The second arrow weight was 443.5 grains. 5 shots with this arrow produced a reading of mostly 296fps and 1 shot at 295 fps. I weighed the arrows with my grain scale and the weights are very accurate. :)
The bow may be set to 29.5", but did you actually measure it? I've found with most bows that there seems to always be a difference between what the draw length should be vs what it really is.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
The bow may be set to 29.5", but did you actually measure it? I've found with most bows that there seems to always be a difference between what the draw length should be vs what it really is.

I'm curious about this as well. Do you normally shoot that DL? If so, how does it feel? Does it feel a touch long?

·
Registered
696 Posts
What would the KE be on these two setups? I don't know the formula....thanks!

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Yeah you would need to crank it down to about 50 for your old bones. :chortle:

Sounds like it is shooting right where they say it should be.:thumbs_up
EXACTLY......the bones are starting to creek a bit :chortle:
the days of the 70lb draw are alllllmost gone.depending on draw curve.thats why I like these fast bows of today.I can crank it down and still get decent speed and KE!!!:D

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
KE would be 85.3 and 86 ft lbs.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I did not have access to a draw board to tell if they are running a little long or not.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I shot a 340 Saturday and got 267 fps with a 70# model dropped down to 60 #. I have a 31 inch draw and I was using a 504 grain arrow. It had a tubeless peep on it and string loop. (I don't know how much they weigh.) So I would say their IBO estimate is pretty close. The lack of hand shock was impressive.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
No, I did not have access to a draw board to tell if they are running a little long or not.:)
You don't need a draw board, a ruler will get the job done. At full draw, just measure from the nock valley to the end of the riser at the grip and that's your draw length. It is recommended to have someone else do the measuring...........:plain:.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't need a draw board, a ruler will get the job done. At full draw, just measure from the nock valley to the end of the riser at the grip and that's your draw length. It is recommended to have someone else do the measuring...........:plain:.
Thanks for the tip, however, now I'm really confused, when I did what you recommended I got 29 inches almost exactly. Either my dealer made a mistake setting the draw, or I am measuring the wrong way. The draw does seem a tad short for me however. :set1_thinking:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nice speeds...I like the new destroyer...I also like the boldness of BT coming out with new innovations as well...Only company to do that in quite some time....Nice post...

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
But you need to add 1 3/4 for AMO right? True draw plus 1 3/4..
So he is actually shooting a 30 3/4 if he come up with 29 grip to nock.

·
Registered
771 Posts
And then you have to subtract for the angle down from the nock to the grip. The horizontal distance would be closer to the berger holes not the grip itself.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts

True draw is measured to the inside throat of the grip, not the front of the riser. 99.9% of bows will measure 1 3/4" from the throat of the grip to the front of the riser, so it's the easiest way to measure without a draw board.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a friend measure frome the inside nock groove to the inside throat of the grip. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts