Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my bow shop today to get some serving and string wax, laying on the counter was a set of brand new limbs for the shops Destroyer. A potential customer was checking the draw and as he was relaxing the bow the string rolled of the upper cam (I guess you cannot draw a Destroyer without a release either) limbs are toast. The photo's posted on AT do this bow no justice it is a pretty awesome looking bow I will go back and try it out in a couple of days after the owner's heart rate has a chance to get back to normal.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Did the potential customer buy the bow :confused: ???

·
Albemarle Archery
2,956 Posts
A potential customer was checking the draw and as he was relaxing the bow the string rolled of the upper cam (I guess you cannot draw a Destroyer without a release either) limbs are toast.

Huh? How does a string roll off the cam? You gotta REALLY be torquing that thing :confused:

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Huh? How does a string roll off the cam? You gotta REALLY be torquing that thing :confused:
Not at all really... A shallow track along with a \ lean and drawing with your fingers and u potentially have a derail...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The destroyer at the local shop was dry fired about thirty minutes after they got it in.

I think the string derailed at another local shop, but the owner is on here pretty often. I'll let him address it if he wants to.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i guess my question is why in thee hell do the shops let guys draw bows back without an arrow in it in the first place? i dont care how experienced some of these potential customers are. and the guys that draw these bows back, do they just not know better? or what. there ought to be big bold lettered signs that tell people not to do this. geeeeeeeeeze

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
When I went in to shoot the Destroyer 350, I just went and got Ross's safe draw off the wall and nocked an arrow for the first draw check and had it pointed at the target backstop in case the string loop broke or pulled through.. I didn't want to be the one that ended everyone's fun:wink:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
The same thing happend to the first monsters till the made the cam channels deeper I bet bowtech will half to do the same thing

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Having done hundreds of shows over the past 10 years and letting people test shoot bows, I can easily see how it could happen.

I used to cringe every time a person would draw the bow with fingers, especially inexperienced people. I've seen first hand how some people torque the living poop out of the bow string and I was lucky to have never had one derail, but there were some close calls no doubt.

This could have absolutely been prevented by;
  • Never letting a person draw a short axle bow with their fingers.
  • Never letting anyone draw any bow without an arrow and rest on it

I also had several close calls on people getting their shirt tail and or their goodie bags caught in the string/cam.

·
Registered
478 Posts
None of these shops have one of these:????

At my shop, if you even take a step towards a bow, they toss one at ya.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The same thing happend to the first monsters till the made the cam channels deeper I bet bowtech will half to do the same thing
I Would bet not. I have seen alot of people pull bows back with fingers and I always get scared. Even if I know he or she is capable. I have done it aswell. Most people have, but I make it a point to watch how I torque the bow. Most people do not even seem to think about it.

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
A derail is much better than a dry fire IMO .. but neither is good

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
To me it says alot about the "shop owner". If they are stupid enough to allow this to happen, who knows if they have any sense in other areas.

Just amazes me how often this occurs. Nothing a zip tie, release, arrow, and some supervision wouldn't fix.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Went to my bow shop today to get some serving and string wax, laying on the counter was a set of brand new limbs for the shops Destroyer. A potential customer was checking the draw and as he was relaxing the bow the string rolled of the upper cam (I guess you cannot draw a Destroyer without a release either) limbs are toast. The photo's posted on AT do this bow no justice it is a pretty awesome looking bow I will go back and try it out in a couple of days after the owner's heart rate has a chance to get back to normal.
The limbs are destroyed? I thought that the limbs are supose to be bullet proof on the new Destroyer?

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I was in a local Mathews shop two weeks ago to demo a couple bows. I asked what happened to one of their demo bows and the tech pointed behind the counter. It was laying there in a mess due to someone dry firing it when letting up. Another shop I sometimes go to has a sign on the bow rack saying " You dry fire it, you buy it "

·
Oblivious to the Shills
2,498 Posts
The limbs are destroyed? I thought that the limbs are supose to be bullet proof on the new Destroyer?
What happens in a derail situation is the drawstop rolls around further than it normally would and takes a chunk out of the limb. There's not a limb made that can withstand direct trauma from a metal object. Not even your precious Hoyt. It has nothing to do with the quality or durability of the limbs under normal operating conditions.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts