Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
So the Destroyer is 5 FPS faster.... on those 2 bows.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Interesting test, but too many variables. Two different draw lengths, and not measured draw lengths. Two different shooters, shooting at different heights, angles and distances from the chrono and they both have different shooting styles. This can effect both bows in a good or bad way. It is great that people run tests like this, but the people watching don't understand how finicky a chrono can be. Two good great bows, who cares what the chrono reads.

·
Registered
228 Posts
it was 10fps actually not that it matters both great bows 310 vs 322:darkbeer:

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
the strother had 1/2" less dl and string dampeners so it should be slower. but man that destroyer is a great looking bow. the strother looks good as well. want to shoot them both. bad

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I would take the SR even if it was 20 fps slower

·
Bone Collector
5,398 Posts
I like the SR-71 better.It's a much better bow.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
will be it does have some nock travel. it is a down with the hybrids but is nice not to worry about cam lean (horizontal nock travel) and limb twist

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree there are allot of variables in the speed, that wasnt why i posted this i just think its nice to see two of the more popular bows of 2010 shot side by side. There is more than just speed to notice here, how much noise each bow makes, how they draw, ect. I would love to own both of these bows!!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Cool video. I like seeing stuff like this but it really doesnt sway me either way as stated above. To many variables

·
Registered
168 Posts
The post was made with innocent intentions, compiled on numbers, not bashing either bow.

To say one bow is much better then the other without any reason is funny, hence the comment.

·
Bone Collector
5,398 Posts
hes just a kid three weeks ago he couldnt stop talking about the destroyer, and how great it was.

Hey archery kid, either way you wont go wrong with either bow, there both great bows:smile:
Thanks for defending me. And I know it's so hard to make up my mind. It's down to these bows: Maxxis 35, Destroyer 340, Monster 7.0, Strother Infinity, or the SR-71.Hahaha

Archerykid

·
Registered
425 Posts
Because comments like this are pointless and start the flame wars.. Simply saying its a much better bow is rediculous. There is absolutly nothing that makes one "much better" than the other.. both are fantasic bows period. Shoot what you like... and have fun doing it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for defending me. And I know it's so hard to make up my mind. It's down to these bows: Maxxis 35, Destroyer 340, Monster 7.0, Strother Infinity, or the SR-71.Hahaha

Archerykid
I have a 70lb monster 7 and a 60lb sr-71. Both are great bows. I have also shot the sr71 side by side with a 70lb destroyer 350, to say one bow is better than the other is really peronal bias as all three of these bows are awesome shooters. Throw them in a pile and pick one with your eyes closed, you cant lose.

·
Bone Collector
5,398 Posts
I have a 70lb monster 7 and a 60lb sr-71. Both are great bows. I have also shot the sr71 side by side with a 70lb destroyer 350, to say one bow is better than the other is really peronal bias as all three of these bows are awesome shooters. Throw them in a pile and pick one with your eyes closed, you cant lose.
If I could throw all 3 in a pile. I would buy all of them.Haha

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
First off, Jim at Select Archery is a big Strother fan from what I've seen so I would usually be somewhat skeptical based upon his support of Strother....but after seeing this video I believe it to be very unbaised with real world speeds.

Too many variables? Like what? Same arrow weight, same chrono, same DW. Only real differences I see are different shooters which isn't a huge deal and 1/2" different DL...OK...so add 5fps to the SR71 or take away 5 from the D350. Still looks like a fair comparison.

What surprised me are the speeds of these "speed" bows. Yes, they are fast, but not even close to all the hype I've been reading about.

The bows are shooting a 335gr arrow at 61# thus 25gr over IBO. That accounts for about 8-10fps loss in speed in most cases.

Doing the math on the SR71 at 311fps+10fps for arrow+10fps for 29" DL gets me about 331fps IBO. You can add another 5 or so for peep/loop but I usually don't when I compare bows since all bows in the field will have peep/loop. And I will soon compare this to other bows "set up to hunt".

The D350 at 321fps+10fps for arrow+5fps for 29.5" DL gets me about 336fps. And remember I am using the 10fps for heavy arrow and not a lower number.

I've gotta say this isn't smoking fast as lots are claiming. I'm seeing 28" Alpha Burners hitting 328fps which puts them faster than these bows. Heck, my 28" Vulcan gets 311fps at 65# w/330gr arrow. The math on that puts this 325IBO rated bow about the same as the 350IBO rated SR71.

My Athens shoots 303 at 28/65 and 330gr arrow. That puts it at about 323 if you account for DL and I'm not even adding for 5gr over IBO arrow and that's with a 7" BH unlike the 6" of all the others.

While I am sure they are great bows, they are not that much greater than what I've already got.:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts