Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to DHoovler for posting this design, along with the suggestion of adding a quick disconnect, the bow vise is absolutely outstanding. I ain't quite sure how DHoovler tackled this task, but am pretty sure it is similar. First was to get a suction base vise, which in my case I just happened to have. I got mine from LOWE'S:

Capture 7.JPG

I took the clamping part off of the vise, along with the suction bottom. I screwed the base into the front of my bench. I drilled out the arm attached to the ball joint and tapped it for 5/16-18 threads, as this is the only tap I had in 5/16" size (which is also the common size you will find at most local hardware stores, as I haven't found one yet that has a 5/16-24 tap set). I then went to Autozone, because they are closest to my house, and picked up a double ended automobile stud that is 2.5" long and threaded with 5/16-18 on one side and 5/16-24 on the other side. I put two part epoxy on the 5/16-18 threads and screwed it into the ball joint arm. The alternative is what DHoovler did and drilled the ball joint hole out with a 5/16 bit and just epoxied a 5/16-24 threaded rod into the hole. I just like the idea of the stud being screwed in along with the epoxy for extra insurance, but either way should suffice. Here's the double ended stud (you can also pick these up at ACE hardware):

Capture 10.JPG

I then went to the local shop and picked up a stabilizer quick disconnect. I don't know the name brand because it was an old one they had (only charged me $5), but any disconnect that is built along the same lines should do. I first screwed a nut and a washer on to the 5/16-24 threads. Nest I screwed on and epoxied the small cylinder piece so that the threads did not extend past this piece. Once everything has set, your vise is ready to use. You screw the large cylinder piece into the stabilizer hole on bow and leave it there until you are finished working on your bow. You them slide the bow down on the small cylinder piece and tighten the nut just to prevent movement (notice 3rd to 4th pic). Enjoy and thanks DHoovler.

DSC02023.jpg DSC02026.jpg DSC02027.jpg DSC02028.jpg DSC02030.jpg DSC02032.jpg

Note that is you use the stud verion it has to be atleast 2.5" long or there will not be enough room to connest the disconnect along with the nut and washer, and yes you need the washer to make sure you actually tighten the disconnect

·
Registered
374 Posts
I built one of these a while back. I didn't use the stab quick disconnect. That would be a sweet addition to mine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad you like it! Below is a pic of my quick disconnect on my vise. I'm looking to buy another one of these quick disconnects but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Anyone know where I can find one?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Being a stickler for simplicity, I used a piece of ¾" hardwood, a piece of 5/16 - 24 allthread and some hex nuts to complete my bow vice and retained the functionality of the little 3" vice.

IMG_3506.jpg

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
that quick disconnect is from the mid to late 90's i use to sell them in my shop .
how much would you pay for one anyway ? i have some .
TS2

Glad you like it! Below is a pic of my quick disconnect on my vise. I'm looking to buy another one of these quick disconnects but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Anyone know where I can find one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts