Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally received 1 of the 2 Diamond Infinite Edge bows I ordered, thanks to my good buddy, Beastmaster, who sent one out to me from his shop in Arizona. It's in BlackOps and I dressed it up in everything black. I set it up, tuned it, and shot it through paper. First shot was a perfect bullethole. With the cams timed perfectly, it holds nicely to a solid backwall. I have my bow set up to 27.5" and 55#. Went onto Easton's site to see which arrow I should be shooting and it came back with Axis 400s as one of the options. Perfect, because that's about every arrow I own. I plan on doing mostly target shooting with this bow, but I probably will use it for hunting, eventually. It shoots my Axis arrows with authority and puts them halfway through the Morrell Yellow Jacket bag target. Kid's bow? I don't think so. It's rated at 310 fps IBO, but I think it's shooting faster than that. I think Bowtech and Diamond are under-estimating their actual bow speeds, possibly because of all the criticism that would ensue.

The bow does need a wrist sling, though. It's so light (at 3.1 lbs), that it jumps a little, but is quiet as a mouse. So far, I'm really liking this little bow. I'll be shooting it at one of the two shops I work at (the shop that doesn't carry this brand), and seeing how well it does at 20 yards. I'll be getting flack for it tomorrow, because this is a HotyMathewsPSEPrime shop and I'm going to show up with a new Diamond bow. But you know what? If Mission's bows didn't have the floating yoke, I probably would have bought the Ballistic. And if the Prime Centroid (also rated at 310 fps) didn't have a pricetage of $900.00, I would have picked up one of them. Perhaps, this can be an eye-opener to all the bow companies that are pricing their "premium" bows out of reach for the average Joe.

I like that I can yoke tune the cam lean out of the Infinite Edge and get it shooting bulletholes with the rest at centershot. I also like that I can fine-tune cam timing by putting half-turns on the split yokes, rather than the main part of the cables. Sure, the Mission Craze offers that, but it's a 28" axle-to-axle bow, and those bows don't play nice with me. The string will never touch my nose and I won't shoot it well. With the Infinite Edge, I can touch the string to my nose; my peep height is 5.25" above my nock; and I anchor perfectly with my middle knuckle under my ear (I shoot the TRU Ball Diamond Extreme thumb release). The Carbon Express 7/32" tubeless peep comes back straight every time, now that I have my D-Loop set in place (with a drop of glue). It encircles my G5 Optix XR2 sight for perfect sight alignment. It's a real shooter, alright.

As for my Destroyer 350, it's hanging on my bow rack, needing new strings and cables from Octane. It's been a 5 weeks now since I placed my order and they're still behind in their production, due to the high demand of their new bows (Experience, Infinite Edge, etc.). It's been 4 weeks since I placed my Infinite Edge order with Diamond and the last I heard, it was going to be 90 days, at least. Wow. In the meantime, I have a new bow to play with, so that lessens the pain of waiting for other things, like my string pre-stretcher I can't wait to build set of threads for this baby, using 8190 string material and see what performance gains I can get.

If the Infinite Edge was a car, it'd be a Honda Civic waiting to be suped up with all different types of mods. I think Diamond/Bowtech hit a Grand Slam with this bow.

·
NAASP
6,942 Posts
Why didn't you go Hoyt Ruckus?

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Glad that you got it and you're happy with it!

On a side note about Chrono speeds - the September 2011 issue of Arrow Trade magazine did an independent study of various highly adjustable bows, including the Ruckus and the predecessor to the Infinite Edge - the Razor's Edge.

The two bows that topped the list for speeds were the Ruckus and the Razor's Edge. Testing used an arrow at 250 grains, 26 inch DL at 50 pounds. Ruckus chrono'ed out at 273.7, RE chrono'ed out at 272.5.

I'd hazard a guess that the Infinite Edge will at least equal those speeds.

-Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my wife this bow last week and I am impressed with the quality of it. The accessories not so much, but as she gains skill with it we can upgrade. The one complain that I do have about it is that there is little to no valley in the draw cycle. If she isn't paying close attention the bow wants to creep on her. Otherwise I feel that it is a great value. As mentioned, it is very quiet, and has a good quality feel to the bow. It does not feel like your standard "youth/women" bow.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
It is a nice little bow. I would like to upgrade my daughter to one maybe next year. We have kids and parents coming into the shop and both purchasing the same bow. Very cool acutually.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why didn't you go Hoyt Ruckus?
Because I'm not a kid and the Ruckus maxes out at 45#. The Infinite Edge goes from 5# all the way out to 70#, and a 13" to 30" draw length adjustment. I didn't even need a bow press to change the draw length. I didn't put the bow through the chrony yet, but I'm guessing it's shooting my 385 grain Axis arrows at 250 fps, at 55# and 27.5" draw.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my wife this bow last week and I am impressed with the quality of it. The accessories not so much, but as she gains skill with it we can upgrade. The one complain that I do have about it is that there is little to no valley in the draw cycle. If she isn't paying close attention the bow wants to creep on her. Otherwise I feel that it is a great value. As mentioned, it is very quiet, and has a good quality feel to the bow. It does not feel like your standard "youth/women" bow.
I would upgrade her accessories now, because if she can't group, she'll get frustrated and won't want to shoot. I took the black QAD LD off my camo D350 and put it on the Infinite Edge and am stacking arrows at 20 yards. I bought a QAD HDX in camo for the D350, but haven't installed it yet. I'm waiting for new threads to come, so in the meantime, I'm having a ton of fun with the Infinite Edge. The bow is 75% let-off and it doesn't have much of a valley, but I shoot a thumb release with back tension, so I don't notice it that much.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a nice little bow. I would like to upgrade my daughter to one maybe next year. We have kids and parents coming into the shop and both purchasing the same bow. Very cool acutually.
I'm 43, and I absolutely love shooting this bow. You can't go wrong with this bow.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad that you got it and you're happy with it!

On a side note about Chrono speeds - the September 2011 issue of Arrow Trade magazine did an independent study of various highly adjustable bows, including the Ruckus and the predecessor to the Infinite Edge - the Razor's Edge.

The two bows that topped the list for speeds were the Ruckus and the Razor's Edge. Testing used an arrow at 250 grains, 26 inch DL at 50 pounds. Ruckus chrono'ed out at 273.7, RE chrono'ed out at 272.5.

I'd hazard a guess that the Infinite Edge will at least equal those speeds.

-Steve
The Razor Edge doesn't feel like it shoots fast enough for me. Also, it doesn't have as nice a backwall as the Infinite Edge. Like you pointed out in another conversation we had, the Infinite Edge feels like a Destroyer 340, only 85% smaller.

Thanks again, brother.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would upgrade her accessories now, because if she can't group, she'll get frustrated and won't want to shoot. I took the black QAD LD off my camo D350 and put it on the Infinite Edge and am stacking arrows at 20 yards. I bought a QAD HDX in camo for the D350, but haven't installed it yet. I'm waiting for new threads to come, so in the meantime, I'm having a ton of fun with the Infinite Edge. The bow is 75% let-off and it doesn't have much of a valley, but I shoot a thumb release with back tension, so I don't notice it that much.
Weeell...... at this point I am really trying to ease her into archery.:smile: She is still learning to be consistent with her anchor points and such. I know from previous experience, that getting her into a new activity is quickly ruined by me trying to "fix" her form or technique. So we are just having fun with it for now. And by fun, I mean hitting the target block with all the arrows from 15yds.......:embara:

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weeell...... at this point I am really trying to ease her into archery.:smile: She is still learning to be consistent with her anchor points and such. I know from previous experience, that getting her into a new activity is quickly ruined by me trying to "fix" her form or technique. So we are just having fun with it for now. And by fun, I mean hitting the target block with all the arrows from 15yds.......:embara:
Yeah, it's hard giving instructions to someone close, because they tend not to listen. Better off getting a coach to help her out.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's looking like I'll be building a set of cables for this bow, to see if the backwall can get any better. I'll be getting around to doing that as soon as my pre-stretcher finally gets here.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pictures
Photo659.jpg
You can see my D350's cam in the left side of the picture. It's hanging on my bow rack awaiting new threads. That's an old Bear/Jennings aluminum stabilizer on the Infinite Edge, but I'm going to get something shorter, but heavier. Any recommendations?

Here, I am adjusting my sight.
Photo660.jpg
Success!!

This bow's a shooter! Funny thing about this bow is that at 75% let-off, I'm holding 13.75# with the bow set at 55#. My D350, at 80% let-off, set at 65#, has a 13# holding weight. If I shoot the Infinite Edge often enough, I should be able to hold my D350 steadier later on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts