Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, apparently I am a moron! I cant seem to get a single sound out of a diaphragm call to save my life. Can someone explain exactly what I need to do to get these things to work? Seriously, I have watched videos and gone through every article I can find, but I cant get anything out of it.

Can I be helped, or should I just rely on my box and pot calls?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I just started and it took me a few days to figure out how to get any sound then a few weeks to figure out how to control them and now I feel good about doing just about any call but the kee-kee run.

Put it in the roof of your mouth not the on the teeth. Use your tongue to apply light presure and use your diaphram to move the air. You will be surprised at how easy it is. Don't apply too much presure with your tongue or you will pinch the reeds too tight and they wont vibrate.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been working on these things for quite a while. I can get a very faint sound out of them, but thats it. I have placed them in every way possible, used varying amounts of pressure, but I cant seem to get the right combo, or I lose it as soon as it makes sound. I have never been more frustrated in my life!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Horse shoe open end to your nose. Put the call up in your teeth push it as far front as you can, now say SHOW, heavy on the sh. You will get sound.

·
Feedn The Geese
11,991 Posts
On a multiple reed call the cut or longer reed goes at the top, circular part facing your throat. dont push the call with your tongue. put the call in your mouth and just close it, barely hold the call against the roof of your mouth. this is how you will hold the call with the mouth open. now exhale like youre fogging sunglasses. the front end of the call should almost sound like.... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, then drop your jaw. do it slow till you get it then speed it up.

the key key run for the other guy should be done with a strait reed. since you know how to make sound. put a ton of pressure on the reeds to get it high pitched. then make the sound pee.... peee... peee followed with a cut. thats mainly a fall call but can work in the spring.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are like me, the first time you tried one it made you want to barf. I started practicing with the sonic dome mini's and that helped me overcome the gag reflex. Now it is a lot more comfortable having the call on the roof of my mouth. Just lay your tongue on the reed, blow lightly through it and drop your jaw a bit. Listen to the turkey sounds on the wild Turkey Federation website and imitate the cadence. Or, try to imitate the sound of your box call. Not widely known is that you can also make a nice purr and cluck by putting the call between your upper lip and upper front teeth. softly rattle your throat and you get a real nice soft purr. Make a soft cluck by putting your lips together and making a "pup" sound. This use will not make you want to gag. Try the sonic dome mini. (didn't get paid by Primos to say that)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
some calls are condusive to beginers (some experienced guys use em too)
I have said it before the stacked reeds on Primos Piggyback series allow ANYONE to sound like a hen.......
An easy way to learn is to apply pressure with the middle of your tounge (I guess it is the middle) and have air space in front and behind. Then push that air out and drop your jaw hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts