Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How goes it A/T,
Awhile back I posted a thread here in the Western forum, talking about how I've recently drawn out for a limited entry archery Elk hunt here in Utah...and was asking for some advice & insight. With that being said, today I bought my first pair of cow calls...a Hyper-Lip single & sonic dome single. I'm really having a hard time even keeping the diaphragm call in my mouth for longer than 3 seconds without feeling like I'm going to puke, much less long enough to try and make a sound with it. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Do you guys have any tips or opinions you'd like to offer on these style of calls?

Thanks,
Brad Bentley

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Trim the reed until it fits in your mouth, then use it every waking moment until it's comfy and you can manipulate it. Try saying the word slow or sh*t, both make good cow mews.

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trim the reed until it fits in your mouth, then use it every waking moment until it's comfy and you can manipulate it.
Do you mean this part, will altering it affect the integrity or function of the call...???

10077748.jpg

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Yes, you should be able to trim the entire reed if need be, I'd start by trimming the portion that you feel is causing you to want to gag, then keep shaping from there. Eventually you'll find exactly what the shape is that you need to consistently put the reed on the roof of your mouth in the same spot every time.

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you should be able to trim the entire reed if need be, I'd start by trimming the portion that you feel is causing you to want to gag, then keep shaping from there. Eventually you'll find exactly what the shape is that you need to consistently put the reed on the roof of your mouth in the same spot every time.
Thanks for the help Sir, I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Trim it and then place in your mouth. Don't do anything with it, just get used to it being in your mouth. Then try practicing after 10 minutes or so.

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trim it and then place in your mouth. Don't do anything with it, just get used to it being in your mouth. Then try practicing after 10 minutes or so.
Okay...thanks for the response!

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
Totally normal Brad....it takes awhile to get used to

·
Registered
19,001 Posts
Been playing with them for over 40 years & still can not put one in my mouth, Thank goodness for the Waynn Carlton external elk call. Just insert the reed into the head & ready to go.

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Totally normal Brad....it takes awhile to get used to
Glad to hear it's not just me...

Been playing with them for over 40 years & still can not put one in my mouth, Thank goodness for the Waynn Carlton external elk call. Just insert the reed into the head & ready to go.
I hear ya, it's just that based on what I've been told thus far by numerous Elk guys...is that it's absolutely vital to be proficient & effective with a mouth diaphragm in order to have both hands free and bring that bull to a STOP at the moment of truth. I understand exactly what they're saying, and I agree with the idea...but with opening morning only 43 days away I'm not sure that I've got enough time between work, my wife & kids to get familiar and comfortable enough with it?

·
RJ
3,335 Posts
For you sir and anyone else struggling with the old gag reflex with diaphragm's, you may wish to try Travis's calls from WRO (link below). I've steered more than a few folks his way and everyone really seems to like them. I'm not a fan of trimming down reeds (I never have) and feel it may affect the seal if you do so..... just my .02.

http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com/Products.html

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For you sir and anyone else struggling with the old gag reflex with diaphragm's, you may wish to try Travis's calls from WRO (link below). I've steered more than a few folks his way and everyone really seems to like them. I'm not a fan of trimming down reeds (I never have) and feel it may affect the seal if you do so..... just my .02.

Thanks for the link Sir, appreciate it!

·
Registered
12,044 Posts

thanks for that, I have tried and tried, but cannot keep a reed in my mouth long. I will try them for sure.

·
HERD BULL
1,897 Posts
I use the mini sonic domes. Much better fit. May be worth looking into. I use a cow girl that hangs around my neck for cow calls. Something about hand to mouth a whole lot with nasty hands just doesn't appeal. I only break out the diaphragms for bugling.

·
HERD BULL
1,897 Posts
Glad to hear it's not just me...

I hear ya, it's just that based on what I've been told thus far by numerous Elk guys...is that it's absolutely vital to be proficient & effective with a mouth diaphragm in order to have both hands free and bring that bull to a STOP at the moment of truth. I understand exactly what they're saying, and I agree with the idea...but with opening morning only 43 days away I'm not sure that I've got enough time between work, my wife & kids to get familiar and comfortable enough with it?
You certainly do. On your way to and from work daily in the car!!

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
BIG FRANK....
8,508 Posts
Triming the Diaphragm is not necessarily true....Everybody's roof of the mouth is different.....You need a good seal....The roof of my mouth is big and i have a hard time finding a mouth call that i can use, Turkey or Elk Diaphragm.... Trying to find the right one can get a little costly and frustrating...I mostly use hand held calls and are easier to use, and they work just as good...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Just trim a small at a time, you don't want to loose the seal. Everyone has different shaped roofs in their mouths. I agree with above about just getting it in your mouth to get use to it.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I hear ya, it's just that based on what I've been told thus far by numerous Elk guys...is that it's absolutely vital to be proficient & effective with a mouth diaphragm in order to have both hands free and bring that bull to a STOP at the moment of truth.
You don't need a mouth call to stop a bull in his tracks. Just use your voice to make a sound.......almost any sound.

And do NOT trim anything from the back of that call, it needs to seal against the roof of your mouth. If you trim it, there will be a gap and you won't be able to get enough pressure on it.

I always wonder how you guys even eat if you can't keep a call in your mouth. Are you trying to force the call back in your throat? Just throw it in and chew on it for awhile like a piece of food. Perhaps your brain won't know the difference. My call stays in my mouth 12+ hours a day while hunting, and I'm constantly chewing on it.

Chew it up, get it flexible, and make some noise with it.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
I always wonder how you guys even eat if you can't keep a call in your mouth. Are you trying to force the call back in your throat?.
after 31 yrs, I still gag on my tooth brush every day.... I have tried everything, I can kind of keep a Carleton reed in my mouth, also a mini sonic dome, but it doesn't seal well for me.

I have always used my voice to stop a bull, and it has worked every time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts