Archery Talk Forum banner

Did a climber help you with "heights"

661 Views 13 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  bowhunter2007
I have a fear of heights. For years I hunted out west and we always stalked or set up on the ground using natural cover, or just a on the spot brush blind. So was never an issue. Here in this part of the country everybody seems to have a tree stand of some kind. I hunted out of several and quickly understood the advantages. I purchased a few hang on's and absolutely hated switching from the ladder to the stand. I got a ground blind and continued with much success from the ground, but still felt I was at a disadvantage especially in the thick brushy woods. This year I purchased a climbing stand, and although it took some entail courage to try it out, I love this thing. It's amazing how safe I feel in it, and it's so comfortable, much more than my 3 legged stand chair. Has a climber helped you with your fear of heights?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I have a fear of heights. For years I hunted out west and we always stalked or set up on the ground using natural cover, or just a on the spot brush blind. So was never an issue. Here in this part of the country everybody seems to have a tree stand of some kind. I hunted out of several and quickly understood the advantages. I purchased a few hang on's and absolutely hated switching from the ladder to the stand. I got a ground blind and continued with much success from the ground, but still felt I was at a disadvantage especially in the thick brushy woods. This year I purchased a climbing stand, and although it took some entail courage to try it out, I love this thing. It's amazing how safe I feel in it, and it's so comfortable, much more than my 3 legged stand chair. Has a climber helped you with your fear of heights?
actually, the closest ive come yet to falling was with a climber

· Registered
385 Posts
Hey Arky-Absolutely. I also have a dread of heights of all kinds, won't fly, hook my arms in and around the rail to look over a balcony or high deck, recently put up a 22-foot ladder stand (Ameristep Skyscraper) that I don't know if I'll ever be able to get into. I use my Summit Viper to go places I would never even attempt with a ladder or hang on. If the stand does not have arm rests I can't sit it, and I prefer a shooting rail too. The Viper has all this and for some reason climbing does not affect me and only the brief time it takes me to turn around and sit down causes me any anxiety at all. 20-24 feet with no qualms at all. I am not sure the stands are a lot less likely to be fallen from, but the feeling sitting them is very different than the other types to me. Good post.

· Registered
8,250 Posts
use the climber with a harness. it will be slow going moving the harness up the tree as you climb, but you will be safe. everyone has a fear of something. just go for it and once you do it a few times, you'll have the confidence and it will get easier and easier each time you go.

· Registered
834 Posts
i use my harness when using a climber but it still doesnt help with being scared of heights. it hasnt helped me. the funny thing is that i'll cliff dive and jump off bridges into water. not sure why i cant go more than 12-15ft up a tree.

· Registered
145 Posts
I thought I was over my fear of hights. Dont know why but I thought it was gone. i have been using a climber for a while and wanted to set it as a lock on so i wouldnt have to fumble around with it in the mornings. S i went out and bought some steps and remembered pretty quick that i had a fear of hights. Luckily i had my friend with me. we had a couple of laughs and he climbed that tree lookin like a squirl. i know it is a safe stand and im not scared once i am in it but getting there is bad for me. anyways my buddy was up there and says hey man u should come up here just to see. I said F that, if im not climbin that thing till its time to hunt it. So long story short a climbing stand was better for me, dont know why but i felt safer all the way up and down. not having the transition from the last step to the stand is a big plus also. Any ways im lettin my buddy hunt the stand when he comes with me. I will hunt my blind.
B.T.W.
Tellin yourself you are not scared of hights dont work. LOL

· Registered
4,646 Posts
I am terrified of heights..always have been. For the last 15 years I have hunted from the ground and have been successful but also realized that I was missing opportunities at deer that I couldn't see or couldn't get shots at.

So, I broke down and after much research here on Archery Talk I bought a Tree walker Climber. This thing is absolutely solid and will not move. I have only been able to reach 10 or 12 feet but rigged up some brush holders that breaks up my outline pretty good. Hunted last week in the Pittsburgh area and saw several deer very close that did not spot me.

The harness stays attached to the tree from ground up and back again and I am slowly building my confidence. It's always a little nerve wracking when I first go up but it doesn't take long to get comfortable.

Love the view!

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Heights

Same here. Worked construction, and learned to work around heights, but never comfortable. Tried the lock ons with tree spikes. Man was that a nightmare. Finally bought a summit shooting star. Like stated above, handrails, shooting rail/footrest with a harness. First time I used it I headed up a tree and then I felt something pulling on the right side. Stopped and looked down, and i had reached the end of my 25 foot bow rope and was picking the bow off the ground. Stopped there and locked her down. Shot a deer and a turkey out of that tree that day, and have been hooked ever since. It is amazing what you can see from there. I use the climber, if I can find a good straight tree, a doublebull matrix when needed, I have 2 ladder stands, one 9 feet, one 12 feet, and several 7 foot tripods that I leave set year round. Works well. But when I hunt a new place, I always take the climber.

· Registered
456 Posts
I am also afraid of heights but am slowly getting over it. I use a new sumitt titan climber and it is awsome. Keep at it and little by little go higher and eventually you will get over it. Just remeber don't go any higher than your comfort level allows even if its only 15-20 feet.

· Registered
446 Posts

I have always felt the most secure in my climber. The first time I had it slip on me was this year hanging hang on stands. After 8 years, the grip from the chain straps needs to be replaced.

If your climber has teeth to dig into the tree bark, then they are very very safe IMO.

E

· Registered
1,821 Posts
As long as I wear my harness (which I always do) I have no problems with my Summit. As long as i'm attached to the tree I have no worries of falling, so a harness has helped me with my fear of heights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.