Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time caller.
new to archery. Not very good. More aggravation than I would have thought.

i am using a Stan prefex longneck thumb release. It broke today mid draw. No injury, arrow hit the target. The arm that controls the release attaches at the body of the near the catch. it broke right at the body. Just curious if I had done something to cause it. Would not like to repeat.
I am very careful to keep thumb well clear of the release until I am at full draw and settled In.
I have reached at to Stan with no reply yet.
thanks.
Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Metal Electric blue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New to me. Lancaster archery. 2 years old. Never bumped or dropped. Yes, trigger snapped off. Lots of use. side note; on draw it snapped AND released. Absolutely no contact. I also lightened the release weight recently. 1/2 turn.
Could not find a similar on the wonderweb.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Following, because I got nothin. No eye deer.
Doesn't even seem possible that it would do that with no contact, and not having ever bent it off axis then back straight. Has to have been a fracture in the metal. Take a picture straight on of the trigger or release where it broke with it in focus.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can tell you from experience (ugh) that going too light on the release pressure (and trigger travel for that matter) will cause a misfire. The break is strange, and makes me believe that the release took a hard hit at some point in its life. Stan will take care of you. They have been very good to me with two issues that I had with my Perfex releases, one of which (misfire) was my fault (see above).

·
Registered
28,234 Posts
I don't shoot the Perfex, but own three SX3's that are similar in design. Other AT posts about misfires revolve around setting the trigger "hot" or light.....but that is not an apparent reason for the thumb trigger assembly to break like that. Indeed contact Stan for tech input and an RA. No experience with their CS as my Stans have been bombproof, but mostly good reports about them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Call Stan. They'll give you a RMA# over the phone. Mailed it to them & I had it back in a week, no charges for repairs. they will take care of you. I originally emailed and still haven't gotten a reply.
I recently had a problem with my Shootoff that was several years old. I'd had it set hot and eventually it began releasing during my draw and then wouldn't reset. I bet all the times I've dropped it over the years didn't help either.

·
Having a crappy day?
2,328 Posts
I wonder if setting it really light
1) let it go off at peak draw(my 10 year old did that to his T-Rex).
2) after it went off unexpectedly the release hit something and then broke the trigger off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when it snapped I still had the release in my hand. Sort of slapped me.

i forgot I did loan it to a gentleman from work that used it on a walkthrough course middle of April for an entire weekend. He did not tell me of any problems and was happy with it ( I believe he ordered a onnex). I reached out to see if he dropped it or??? Have not heard back.

i did not see anything on the wonderweb of similar problems so it is clearly me. If it only happens once and only to you sort of thing.

YouJust curious if I gripped to hard. Or setting the release weight without adjusting something else. It broke right at the set screw.
first pic has a Allen key for reference. Pin is still straight.
Thanks

Tool Bicycle part Bicycle chain Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part

Revolver Gesture Tool Gas Cable

·
(aka lug nut)
53,664 Posts
when it snapped I still had the release in my hand. Sort of slapped me.

YouJust curious if I gripped to hard. Or setting the release weight without adjusting something else. It broke right at the set screw.

View attachment 7627939
View attachment 7627938
1) you did not GRIP it too hard
2) the release did not hit something HARD, sideways against the thumb trigger.

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

This is a shear failure of the metal bracket. Materials defect.

Bicycle part Font Auto part Machine Metal

Automotive lighting Vehicle Gas Bumper Motor vehicle

METALS bend, stretch sideways and elongate prior to reaching yield stress and eventually snapping.
The tension area, during a bending stress, will neck down, will get thinner and ultimately rupture.

There is zero evidence of a sideways impact on the thumb knob, which would have bent the bracket sideways.

This is a brittle failure, the metal bracket snapped like a section of glass rod.
Metal does not snap like a glass rod. IF it does, then, the heat treatment was done incorrectly.
This is a materials defect...either bad heat treat, or a bubble during casting, causing a brittle failure, a sharp crack, resulting in a flat, fracture plane. Metal is not supposed to break this way.

You or your buddy did not drop your release.
No, you did not grip the release "Too Hard". Humans do not have enough grip strength to bust a bracket this way,
in brittle failure...meaning you could not POSSIBLY squeeze the release hard enough and FAST enough to snap a metal bracket this way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update. Called Stan. They asked me a few questions and gave me an rma. Mailed the release off and received it today. 8 day turn around. No questions. No charge. Works perfectly. Pretty impressed. However now I am a little gun shy. Hopefully it was a one off and I can get back to normal. If it ever stops raining.
thanks to all

·
(aka lug nut)
53,664 Posts
Update. Called Stan. They asked me a few questions and gave me an rma. Mailed the release off and received it today. 8 day turn around. No questions. No charge. Works perfectly. Pretty impressed. However now I am a little gun shy. Hopefully it was a one off and I can get back to normal. If it ever stops raining.
thanks to all
Great customer service. U should be fine. New release, new bracket should be solid. That shear fracture in the metal bracket is not normal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts