Archery Talk Forum banner

Did i do the right thing?

851 Views 16 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  slickstalker
Alright guys I need some consoling. I ended up having a nice 8 pt come in to my food plot this weekend right at last light and I studied him as much as I could and it was obvious that he was an extremely old deer. Huge body, pot belly, Greyish coat, and when I got him I noticed he was missing many teeth. I would guess him at at least a five year old maybe plus. Although, his rack was really pretty weak compared to some other bucks that i believe I have on my land. I just felt as though I was obligated to take this buck out of my herd for management reasons. I have saw on hunting shows this done but I never thought that I would be put in this situation. Now I am a little disapointed in the fact that my season is done because of the one buck limit in Indiana. I feel as though I would have easily had a chance at a better buck had I held off on him. Did I do the right thing?What would some of you guys have done had you been in my shoes?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,005 Posts
I think you did the right thing. It will help with managment and everything, and I don't know about you, but every buck is a good buck to me.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you did the right thing. It will help with managment and everything, and I don't know about you, but every buck is a good buck to me.

Thanks buddy, Am i definetely agree with you. They are all trophies. All they all put damn good food on the table. I am just ready to get that one buck were all looking for.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
old bucks are always trophies, no matter what size antlers they have. same thing with does

· Registered
2,312 Posts
For whatever its worth.. I would have done the same thing.. Your trying to keep good land and herd management, and he and any other big buck will taste the same... Just be gratefull you had the chance...!

· Registered
4,250 Posts
Since you used your only buck tag, I am sure you can be happy that you have a nice trophy on the ground, and really the only mistake you can make is harvesting a deer that isn't fully mature yet.

The only reason that it would have been a real good idea to get him out of the population in that area is to keep him from spreading any more of his genes. If he doesn't have good genetics then I would say that you did an awesome thing for managing your land. If he had pretty good genetics (meaning his rack was once a nice specimen), then maybe it was a bad decision. The funny thing is that most of the time, the older bucks do very little mating during the rut and most of the mating is done by the young deer..pretty much because they are younger, faster and healthier.

Don't worry about it, you have lots of time now to shoot some of the does! Shooting does is a much better management plan than shooting any buck anyway. Go get 'em! ***Just hope a monster doesn't walk out*** lol

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
I agree that you did the right thing as well. That inferior buck wont be breeding your does and the bigger bucks in your area will pass on better genes for the future. I'm sure glad I don't live in a 1 buck state. I'd have to move unless I lived close to another state so I could keep hunting. That would suk.

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
I've passed on bucks like that only to regret not taking the easy shot later. Hey you got a mature buck! Congrats! Hang the antlers, show the pics, and be happy.

· Registered
892 Posts
If he's that old, that is more the true measure of a trophy than a huge set of antlers....Do the animal justice, and be proud of taking him.

· Registered
344 Posts
I don't think there is ANY question you did the right thing. You did. I believe what you really want to ask is if it's OK for you to feel disapointed that your season is over without a chance to bag a huge racked buck. Of course you should feel disapointed. Every bowhunter I know dreams about the big one so why shouldn't you feel that way? Be proud of yourself for being an ethical hunter who cares more about the deer herd than the trophy on your wall. Sacrifice today will pay dividends tomorrow. I'm happy to be associated with hunters like yourself. Good Job.
Oh, Old Graybeard, do us all a favor and quit posting. I'm not sure if you meant he should have waited for a better deer or he was stupid for asking a question at all but your post was not necessary and your input has no value in this thread.:zip:

· Registered
754 Posts
Yes

I would be happy with a deer like that. To relate to a story, albeit both these bucks were taken with rifle, these are my brother's last 2 years. The younger rack on the left is from about a 3.5 year old (we think) and the one on the right is about a 6.5 year old. He was definately on the decline rack and health wise, just a huge deer though in the body. He is way prouder of the older deer because he was a much harder deer to harvest. That old guy was smart, and on more than one occasion busted us from way out and had some of the craftiest movement patterns. Both are great trophies, be proud of your deer. There is always next year for that deer in his prime trophy!

Attachments

· Registered
1,989 Posts
The way you described his teeth I don't think he would have another year in him anyway so one way to look at it is at least he wont go to waist. Also I don't think a buck in this stage of life will impact a herds genetic structure much if at all. He would have lost his status in the pecking order with the younger, stronger bucks running circles around him. You didn't do a bad thing. You might have bagged a bigger one but just look at it this way; the bigger buck you didn't bag should be even bigger next year. So congrats on the one you did bag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.