Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I hit a buck tonight but I am 90% sure I hit him back farther than I wanted. I would swear it was a gut shot but I'm not sure because my arrow doesn't stink and there is no stomach matter on my arrow that I can tell. Just dark blood, hair, and some dirt. It was a passthrough but there is some white hair on the shaft.

After the hit, he ran about 20 yards and stopped for a minute or so. Then he just walked off, head and tail down. I grunted to try and get a second arrow in him but he didn't acknowledge me at all. Just walked off. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
15,423 Posts
I'd say liver as well, and he'll die quickly.
Sometimes there is little tracking blood on those shots because a lot of it stays in the cavity.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last weekend I got the liver. Along with 2 ribs going in, 1 rib going out, and the far side scapula.

The poor arrow didn't make it, RIP arrow you will be remembered.

As for the pesky little buck, hope you enjoy the hospitality of my freezer. Oh, and you made a delicious soup.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I'm gone say your in the liver
And he's probably dead now

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lost sight around 60 yards after the shot. I think I'll go look at 10:30 which will be 6 hours after the shot.
I'm hoping for a liver shot but it looked further back than that. I hope I'm wrong. I've never gut shot a deer before so I didn't know what to expect. I'll keep ya posted after I get done looking.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I unfortunately hit a deer way back this year...pure guts but the arrow was clean like yours after passing through flank meat....by the arrow I would of said liver but we waited 24 hrs and found him 100 yrds from the shot....meat was still good miraculously....never like to see an animal suffer but we would of pushed the deer into the next county if we went after him that evening....I would wait til morning.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd say liver as well, and he'll die quickly.
Sometimes there is little tracking blood on those shots because a lot of it stays in the cavity.
I agree with this. I shot a buck in the liver two years ago. It acted just like you described, and there was no blood trail. I saw the deer walk off about 70 yards before I lost sight of it. I waited about an hour and a half and found it dead a few yards from where I last saw it. Gutted it out, pulled out the liver, and it had a big X from a Slick Trick Magnum in it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would wait til morning, if he is dead now he will be just as dead in the morning, if not, he will be dead within 12-24 hours. He will go 100-200yds and lay down n die unless coyotes get him up. If you jump him tonight, he will not be within within the hundreds yards or so, and you will not have much blood. Time and patience is your friend.

I had this same shot 2 years ago at 9am. Waited til following morning, found his bed 120 yds away, coyotes had jumped him, luckily he made straight line across pasture and died in creek bed, but he was not dead within 6 hours. It was probably 12.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would wait til morning, if he is dead now he will be just as dead in the morning, if not, he will be dead within 12-24 hours. He will go 100-200yds and lay down n die unless coyotes get him up. If you jump him tonight, he will not be within within the hundreds yards or so, and you will not have much blood. Time and patience is your friend.

I had this same shot 2 years ago at 9am. Waited til following morning, found his bed 120 yds away, coyotes had jumped him, luckily he made straight line across pasture and died in creek bed, but he was not dead within 6 hours. It was probably 12.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,176 Posts
This was an intestine hit:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wait your 6 hours and then go look. Most likely he will be dead. Good luck

1 - 20 of 74 Posts