Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 6yo scouting yesterday. My camera has been up for 3 months
And I've got nothing on it. We scouted an unused logging road and saw a few tracks.

On the way in we spooked at least 2, couldnt see them though.

Placed a camera and left the same way we came in. on the way out I found a
Nice scrape, showed my son because im trying to teach him.

He needs to step on every stick and kick every rock he sees, regardless of me
asking him to be quiet.

do you think we spoiled the area?

·
Registered
995 Posts
No and if you did it was worth it just spending time in the woods with him.

·
NAASP
14,400 Posts
No

I'd rather go in loud so they hear you coming, rather than scare the *blank* out of the deer up close.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time scouting with my son is one of my greatest pleasures.
i really love showing him why I've chosen a spot.

He also loves shooting his bow.

Oct. 19 season opens so I've got time, just wasnt sure if we spooked
The deer from the area.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Time scouting with my son is one of my greatest pleasures.
i really love showing him why I've chosen a spot.

He also loves shooting his bow.

Oct. 19 season opens so I've got time, just wasnt sure if we spooked
The deer from the area.
You did not ruin the area. Hope you enjoyed the day with your son. Mine lives 500 miles away and I barely see him. Enjoy every moment you can with him, nothing else matters!

·
74,535 Posts
No way, spending time with your son in the outdoor worth it even if it did.
DB

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
If I go to scout an area I prefer to act like any other non-hunter would do when being in the woods.
The deer is used to this and will not leave the area or be more alert.
And as the other says. A day in the woods with your son or daughter is the most valuable time you can spend in my opinion.
Doesn't matter if they scare all the deer to the next state :)
I am taking my 5 year old son hunting as soon as our season opens.
I know he will probably ruin some chances, but I don't care :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
time well spent for sure. i love taking my six year old out with me to check mineral sites and cameras. often we will climb up in the ladder stands and just sit there whispering about possible scenerios of deer coming in. He has been shooting the crossbow this year and looks like he might be down right lethal at about 20 yards, so we are pretty excited for opening day here in southern ohio.

ox

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Nope. Rain will wash away scent. Deer will come back as long as you don't over pressure them. Either way it is worth it to be out with a child.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
He has got to learn some time and the best time is scouting at this point in your sons life until he is 16 or 17 will be all you teaching him the great out doors it is part of life and having a son those ten years are going to be the best memories you are going to take with you and the ones he will take with him and pass down to his children. Kids and hunting I have learned they have to learn the hard way so if they walk in loud they spook the game that moment when they learned to be quite and bag what ever they are hunting is priceless!!! It was well worth taking him you did not spoil the area they will be there.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
not at all

·
Registered
535 Posts
You did not ruin the area. Hope you enjoyed the day with your son. Mine lives 500 miles away and I barely see him. Enjoy every moment you can with him, nothing else matters!
I use to take my son and teach him about the outdoors. Regardless how much noise he made I still took him with me. After he got older he learn to be more quite. Now his 17 and his interest is more on two legged deer He lives down the road from me and I dont hardly see him. enjoy your time with your son.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I took my Dads friends kid (I think he was 8 or 9) out with me last season looking for places to set up a new stand in season while his dad and mine were drinking beers at my cabin. He was loud, wanted to touch everything, and shoot my 22 the whole time. Every spot I picked he would soon mess up (at least in my mind) so I'd have to move to a new spot. We walked alot of my 200 acres looking for a new spot. He made noise and was having a ball the whole time.

Even though I never did end up finding a good spot that he didn't "mess" up, I had so much fun with that kid and he had alot of fun too. I was letting him shoot my .22 ruger through out the walk and when we got back to the cabin he wouldn't stop telling his dad about it. He wasn't even my kid and I had fun doing it. Its not all about hunting, just introducing someone new to the outdoors is fun sometimes.

·
NAASP
14,400 Posts
I read a artical once in either Petersons ro Bowhunter about how sneeking in and out off season and busting deer is worse than having enough noise so they can avoid you before your on top of them. They had evidence that the deer were back the same day or the next. Even with bedding areas as long as you didn't mess up the beds with scent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts