Archery Talk Forum banner

Did some testing of the FOBS today in the wind

2785 Views 53 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  MoNofletch
some testing of the FOBS today in the wind

65 yard group, I must say this is my best group at that range. seem they do shoot better than blazzer on my set up. I did several test today and they come up on top, not always as good as the photo, But at 65 yards there so much human error. Plan on doing more testing But there looking good so far, very windy and gusty today.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
I'd also be interested in the drop difference at various ranges if you have the time. I'm guessing camera angle or target condition may be the reason the penetration seems more but it doesn't make sense if they are dropping the 4-6" from the blazer group. I love the design and simplicity of the FOBs. I was thinking about getting some after reading some reviews but it sure is nice to have actual picture proof to back up my decision. Thanks for the post!

· Registered
1,753 Posts
I was doing my comparing last weekend to, and at 60 my fob's were grouping quite well. Now the downside, they were about 8 inches lower than my blazers. I'm going to do some more testing this week. I made up a bunch of arrows to play with. Fletched up some Blazers/2 inch Razr feathers/Fusions
and some FOB's.

Good Luck

· BIRD HUNTER
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How come there looks to be so much difference in penatration between the fobs and blazers?

I didn't notice any difference in penatration it might be the camera angle,but next time I will check.

I'd also be interested in the drop difference at various ranges if you have the time. I'm guessing camera angle or target condition may be the reason the penetration seems more but it doesn't make sense if they are dropping the 4-6" from the blazer group. I love the design and simplicity of the FOBs. I was thinking about getting some after reading some reviews but it sure is nice to have actual picture proof to back up my decision. Thanks for the post!
They do hit lower, I was planning on checking the arrow wieght, if thats not it .I wondering if I have clearance issiues. dont seem to notice untill after 30 yards.I also want test speed of them both. Planed on doing that today but its snowing again.

I was doing my comparing last weekend to, and at 60 my fob's were grouping quite well. Now the downside, they were about 8 inches lower than my blazers. I'm going to do some more testing this week. I made up a bunch of arrows to play with. Fletched up some Blazers/2 inch Razr feathers/Fusions
and some FOB's.

Good Luck
I wonder if everyone is having them hit lower at long range. I guess I need to speed test them.

· Registered
5,465 Posts
and some FOB's.

Good Luck
Make sure and post the results, I'm curious how they compare especially the Rayzrs.

From other post that I have read on FOBs they do tend to drop more than other fletchings and they are heavier than 3 standard fletchings. I believe the FOB II is supposed to be lighter, not sure when we might see it.

· BIRD HUNTER
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
put some stuff on the scale this morning

arrow with wrap and fob= 405.5 grains
arrow with wrap and blazzrs= 400 grains

5" wrap= 5 grains

Fob = 25.5 grains

3 blazzers = 17 grains

so the arrows I used with Blazzers where 5.5 grains more, But if I took the wrap off they would be within .5 grains.

? is is 5.5 grains enough to make a arrow drop 8" in 65 yards?

I think what I need to know is the speed of these arrows at the bow and at 65 yards.First nice day I will see what I can do .

· Registered
3,895 Posts
The FOB's are gonna shoot a little bit lower at extreme distances because of their drag coefficient. The trade off is that you get to hit exactly what you're shooting at! Even in the wind! I've sent information and speed numbers to Perry at Archer's Advantage and FOB's will soon be supported by that program. Then, you will be able to chronograph your bow and print a piece of paper to set your pins with of have a sight tape for your mover. At that point, you can sight in at one distance and your bow is done! I look forward to some of you FOB users getting involved with that program. It's not expensive and he's helping out the FOB Nation!

· BIRD HUNTER
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The FOB's are gonna shoot a little bit lower at extreme distances because of their drag coefficient. The trade off is that you get to hit exactly what you're shooting at! Even in the wind! I've sent information and speed numbers to Perry at Archer's Advantage and FOB's will soon be supported by that program. Then, you will be able to chronograph your bow and print a piece of paper to set your pins with of have a sight tape for your mover. At that point, you can sight in at one distance and your bow is done! I look forward to some of you FOB users getting involved with that program. It's not expensive and he's helping out the FOB Nation!

If the drag coefficient is more then there hitting lower because there going slower? do you have any idea how much slower they are going?

· Registered
3,895 Posts
At 60 yards, I'd say around 5-8 fps. I'll know more when Perry get's it on Archer's Advantage. I can tell you that when I did the test, My arrow shot 283 at 2 yards and 258 at 50 yards.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
How come there looks to be so much difference in penatration between the fobs and blazers?
Very good catch Nofences. If you look at the distance from the target to the wraps u can see a big difference in penetration. Also If the blazers are faster and the Morell bag targets are usually heavier towards the bottom of the target you would get less penetration at the bottom of the target. Camera angle dosen't cause that. Something seems fishy here to me. Like they weren't shot at the same distance.. LOL

· BIRD HUNTER
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Very good catch Nofences. If you look at the distance from the target to the wraps u can see a big difference in penetration. Camera angle dosen't cause that. Something seems fishy here to me. Like they weren't shot at the same distance.. LOL
Both where shot at 65 yards, Like I posted earler I didnt notice any differance penetration.I think its the photo. Didn't smell any fish eather.

You saying I shot the fobs group at closer range to get that group? Why would I do that? I not trying to promote any products here. I Just trying to find out witch is better for my set up.Trust me if my Test show me that the fobs dont have a advanage over the blazzers, then They will be gone, I am for only one thing something simple that works for me. Man this is like when I was testing carbon arrows and everone said there junk. What have your test show?The site is about helping other archers. :elf_moon:

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Both where shot at 65 yards, Like I posted earler I didnt notice any differance penetration.I think its the photo. Didn't smell any fish eather.

You saying I shot the fobs group at closer range to get that group? Why would I do that? I not trying to promote any products here. I Just trying to find out witch is better for my set up.Trust me if my Test show me that the fobs dont have a advanage over the blazzers, then They will be gone, I am for only one thing something simple that works for me. Man this is like when I was testing carbon arrows and everone said there junk. What have your test show?The site is about helping other archers. :elf_moon:
Dont worry about the negh sayers I put up a post about the FOB's and they kept sayin it was a 5 yrd target but thats how ppl are these days not happy unless they can call someone a liar

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Those are the same nay sayers who whine and cry when my FOB blocks the whole 12 ring!!!

· Registered
565 Posts
Those FOBs really seem to work.
The lower group of the FOBs might be due to some sort of loss of downrange speed but the group is great so forget about it.
The Blazer group is not good at all.
Are you getting any contact issues with the Blazers to explain the large group difference.
I would give the FOB's a try but they dont fit my arrows:-(

Nightimer

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Nighttimer, what arrows are you shooting? I can make them fit up to a 24/64" shaft. I simply use a drill!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.