Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching 13 with my daughter after shooting broadhead league. My kid was constantly low tight to shoulder. I told her that's right behind the heart and could be a problem. Your grandpa always aims there and can be a nightmare to find. Sure enough Taylor smokes one in the same spot. Almost a mile later they find a coyote chewed up deer the next morning. So I played it back a few times to explain what happened and noticed the Rage never opened. No big slash and no blood pouring out entrance. Just wondering if anybody caught this and saw what I think I saw. Maybe she used different head then Rage on the shot but she had rages in quiver later. Maybe new Mathews to slow for big heads?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No watch the video. I noticed when she was a kid she shot a small fixed head then went to rage and got good penetration as she drew more poundage. But they switched her to a Prima which I'm sure is slower then her pse.

·
can I shoot it?
17,092 Posts
Actually per pound of draw weight the Prima stomps all over her older PSE’s as far as speed goes. Lots of things might of happened on that shot and it would be extremely hard to gather all the facts without being there and only seeing carefully edited footage. The Drury’s (and their collective teams) have the opportunity to shoot some amazing animals. That is for sure. I have also not seen nor heard a single thing from ANY of them to make me believe ANY of them have a lot of technical knowledge on on the things we all geek out about, bow or firearm. They shoot what they are paid to shoot. It does’t make those products good or bad, just choices based on sponsors first and effectiveness and data second.

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy, Reign 6
2,712 Posts
Anyone who uses rage heads cares nothing of ethics. I don't care what the rage users say. Rage heads are weak dull and have the tendency to not open more often than anyone should be comfortable with.

·
Registered
11,668 Posts
Been shooting rage Broadheads since 2006 and have killed more deer than most will in two life times and have never seen any rage not open on contact but **** happens , I don’t know if Taylor’s head open or not ,if it did not it must of been damaged is some way prior to being shot at the deer

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have used rage two seasons in the past and killed three deer. I believe I used the chisel tips. All three broad heads I had to throw away because the ferrules/blades were weak and either bent the ferrule, blade, or both. Nothing against people that shoot them, but for the money you can buy a much higher quality head IMO. I went back to the simple muzzy three blade the last few years. To each their own.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
You would have to have a teaching moment to give enough, to study that hard and close to see if the head opened up.

Sonny2020 should be here soon to defend a rage bashing

·
Registered
46 Posts
Watching 13 with my daughter after shooting broadhead league. My kid was constantly low tight to shoulder. I told her that's right behind the heart and could be a problem. Your grandpa always aims there and can be a nightmare to find. Sure enough Taylor smokes one in the same spot. Almost a mile later they find a coyote chewed up deer the next morning. So I played it back a few times to explain what happened and noticed the Rage never opened. No big slash and no blood pouring out entrance. Just wondering if anybody caught this and saw what I think I saw. Maybe she used different head then Rage on the shot but she had rages in quiver later. Maybe new Mathews to slow for big heads?
Don't take anything for the whole truth on those TV shows. It's no more reality than reality TV shows. Secondly, having spoken to a guy who filmed for the Durys, take their stuff with particular skepticism.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I didnt see the vid, but anything is possible.

That said I have shot the low ke ranges for a few years and while I did find my deer and the one hog. I have had 5 rage not open at all or somehow only open one side. Very weird looking entrance wound.

That said they are a one and done head, totally trashed after the shot. When I run out of them I wont be buying anymore.

·
Registered
PSE EVL34, Hoyt Axius Alpha
587 Posts
This thread scares me. I've killed a ton of deer with Grim Reapers and just bought some Rage HD (125gr) for this season. This has me second guessing my decision. I shoot a fairly heavy draw weight and 520 grain arrows. Not sure if that will make the difference

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy, Reign 6
2,712 Posts
This thread scares me. I've killed a ton of deer with Grim Reapers and just bought some Rage HD (125gr) for this season. This has me second guessing my decision. I shoot a fairly heavy draw weight and 520 grain arrows. Not sure if that will make the difference
Rage fail to open regardless of your setup and a lot more often than the rage fan boys will ever admit. Shoot them at your own risk.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just curious, where would you like your daughter to be hitting?

·
Registered
None
608 Posts
Been shooting rage Broadheads since 2006 and have killed more deer than most will in two life times and have never seen any rage not open on contact but **** happens , I don’t know if Taylor’s head open or not ,if it did not it must of been damaged is some way prior to being shot at the deer
I've killed bear, hogs, coyotes and many deer and other critters. I've never had a problem ever with rage. Great blood trails.

Reactions: IrishDave

·
Registered
None
608 Posts
Don't second guess they are a great broadhead just got some haters on here. Don't drink the kool-aid on this one. With any broadhead you gotta do your job on your end.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You will be fine. It is popular to hate on mechanicals on right now. I have shot deer with a variety of mechanicals including rage with draw weights from 58-74 lbs, some of those shots were sub par. I have never failed to recover one of those deer within 75 yards of the shot. I can't say the same for fixed heads. In fact, one of those shots, I am confident I recovered because of a rage that I would have lost with a fixed head. Pure liver hit on my first archery buck and he died within 60 yards. I think I would have lost that deer with a fixed head because I was on a small property, about 100 yards from the line and the neighbors were NOT friendly or willing to let anyone on property for any reason.

1 - 20 of 515 Posts