Archery Talk Forum banner

Did they cheat? PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!!!

• YES

Votes: 426 97.9%
  • NO

Votes: 9 2.1%

Did they cheat? PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!!!!

4444 95
Today at a local archery shoot my husband and I were warming up to shoot the Indoor 300 round competition that the club was hosting. There was a large group of other shooters there that were also warming up. When they were done warming up, they hung their targets and one of them asked loudly "This is for score, right?" to which everyone else in that group agreed.

They came back to the line, shot their five arrows and when they went to pull their arrows and saw that some of the group hadn't shot as well as they had hoped, one of them announced, "That round was just for practice, right" to which everyone once again agreed, with one of the women saying "You won't hear any arguement from me!"

In our opinion, that was cheating. If a person announces to the rest of the club, that they are starting the competition, should they have the ability to call a "do-over" if they don't perform as well as they had hoped? My husband and I demanded our entry fees back and left the club without shooting. The above mentioned people did not shoot in our classes, so it was not a case of sour grapes. We were told that they were "re-upping" as they had shot the previous day, but that if they were able to better their score today that the second score would replace yesterdays.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
2,106 Posts
CHEEEEEZY! Great job calling it out!

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also one of the women helping to run the shoot made the comment "well it's not like they are going to shoot better today than they did yesterday."

I had to wonder how she knew that...

· Registered
1,183 Posts
It's only NOT cheating if I can also make the deer come back and stand in the same place where I just missed it after it jumped the string. Since I can't do that, yes, it's cheating.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We did call them out on it. Loudly. We were told that they had shot the day before and that they wouldn't shoot better today than yesterday. Then were were told that they weren't even in our class. I have to wonder how those things justify what they did...

A cheater is a cheater is a cheater....

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, they did not write down their scores. I think that once you announce you are starting the competition, all joking is done, and what you shoot is what you score.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
Who is the 1???:embara::embara::embara::pukey:

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one who voted no, they didn't cheat, might have done the same sort of thing themselves....

· Registered
14,726 Posts
waiting for everyone to shoot a clean rd could have tooking all day:shade:hehe

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We brought it to the attention of the people who were doing registration, who just happened to be the woman who told me "They won't shoot any better today than they did yesterday." Nothing was done beyond that. They did give us our entry fees back but there was nothing said, that we know of, to the culprits.

I say that our individual conduct on EVERY range is OUR OWN responsibility, not the range officials. I don't expect anyone else to tell me what is right or wrong when I should already know that for myself.

· Lowered expectations
20,215 Posts
Cheating for sure, but I'm wondering, why did they start whenever they felt like it? Every indoor shoot I've ever been to, even at league night, everyone starts at the same time, and everyone scores at the same time.

It's the slack rules that allow people to think they can get away with anything they want. A bit more organization on the part of the host club, breaking up groups and enforcing the rules, will go a long way in reducing cheating in archery.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree that the rules were VERY lax in this case. But I also think that we all have a responsibility to govern our own behavior and be honest.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.