Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I like big buffs!
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just happened to me today, tell me what you think.

I decided to shoot at a local club called River Raisin Sportsman Club. Those from NW Ohio/SE Michigan may be familiar with it. Its notorious for being an easy course. I didn't set my sight any further than 32 yrds. on the entire course, if that tells you anything. I shot a 298/300, shooting only one '8' on the course.

When I turned in my scorecard, the old fellow looked at it and just kind of raised his eyebrows. He sighed, and said, "Well, we usually don't like people shooting the course by themselves." He then slid the first place trophy across the table to me. No 'good job' or 'congratulations'. It was very obvious he didn't believe I had shot the score.

I offered to shoot it again, but he declined. He just stood there after that, and said nothing, so I got in my truck and went home.

His comment just seemed to eat at me. Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but it did get to me. I've won about a dozen local shoots this year, and I have never gotten this treatment before.

Needless to say, I won't be shooting at that club again. This ever happen to anyone else?

·
74,535 Posts
Simple solution

Dont shoot by yourself. Not ever good idea for good shooter to shoot and score himself. I never call my shot.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I second daniels notion...but yeah...you were viewed as being rather suspicious. What would you think if you were him?! I know I would more than likely think the same thing BUT he didn't come out right and say you cheated so take it how you will. If you know you didn't cheat then that's all that really matters..I would've just slid the trophy back and told him to give it to the most sportsmanlike candidate.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Why I don't like to compete. I love competition but it ain't worth the headaches.

I wouldn't have shot by myself, but there seems to be sore losers everywhere...

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,897 Posts
You know you didn't cheat so don't sweat it!

If another shooter had shot by themself and beat you with a 298 or 300 you would probably wonder if they had beat you with their bow or their pencil.

I have always said if I ever needed to stoop to cheating I would just as soon wait until nobody was around and steal the trophy! After all it is the same thing.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
LMNH,
i dont have any problems good shooter or not shooting by them selves, my self if i shoot alone i dont turn in my SCORE never have never would and i wouldnt except a trophy or money if i did. i know im honest with my scores but you are open to alot of criticizim if you do no matter who you are, you owe it to yourself and the other compititors to shoot with a group, or dont turn in a score.
my 2 cents

KEN

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I agree with those who suggest not shooting by yourself. Its never a good idea to go by yourself, kind of the unwritten law in 3D, at least here in NY. If it were me, I would make it a point to go back to that club and shoot in a group at least once (hopefuly you will shoot as well). That will end any discussion of impropriety.

Anyways, its no fun to blister a course like that and not have anyone see it! :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey Ma please don't sweat the small stuff. Look on the bright side. You know that you shot a good score without cheating, all the while not having someone elses arrow to aim off of or listening to other arrows getting to the target to help with yardage. In defense of the guy at the range, I and many others that have been involved with archery clubs that run shoots have seen people try to get away with alot of things in order to win a trophy. You left yourself open to suspicion by not having someone to verify your score. The guy could have been a real bunghole about it and made a big todo in front of everybody or refused to take your score. Just keep up the good shooting and find someone to shoot or walk with you at the rest of the shoots. Good luck and God bless.:cool:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
LookMa-NoHands! said:
This just happened to me today, tell me what you think.
If you never go back, they'll think that you cheated. If you go back and shoot a smilar score, they'll know that you're for real, and you'll make new friends, and have a great time---and even get more trophies, I suspect.

If you do the math, the choice is clear. :)

kgk

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
LookMa-NoHands!;

Take the trophy and tell the guy to stuff his attitude.

If the organizers of an event don't take the time properly administer an event (so you have to shoot with other archers for score), then they have no business giving you any attititude if you have abided by the event rules and have won. There are always a few jerks out there willing to give snide comments, and deride accomplishments - don't give them the satisfaction...

;)

-CG

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wouldn't quit shooting there. I would make it my mission to clean the course next time there. Make sure you shoot with a couple of the regulars and then clean their clock in person.

hangunnr

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
hands or no hands....play the cards you deal;)

lets face it....for whatever reason.....it appears that most think you shouldnt have shot by yourself and turned in the card....that in itself tells you why all those people voted "i know there is cheating....and cant prove it" or "i have proof theres cheating"....

so by the looks of things....if you shoot 3d, from now on, you should always know...."guilty-until proven innocent".....and therefore, no matter how honest you or anyone else is....dont give them(the 3d haters) any reason to "know" we all cheat;)

great job on your shooting no hands.....and if i were you, i do like most say, go back, and do your best to clean it...next time with a large group though....

good post, and lots of food for thought on this one.....

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
This is the flaw with 3D's 'rock up shootthe course and hand in your card' system. Perhaps the organisers need to start doing target allocations again etc.

You could clean it with a group of people you didn't know and would still be accused of cheating, afterall anyone who does well is a cheat. Right? ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a newbie and have never shot in any type of shoot but I have been with my brother to a few he has participated in.

He didn't have anyone but me and my son along and neither of us were shooting, we where just watching. There weren't many others on the course at the time and most of them were in family or friend groups and didn't want him to shoot with them (he did ask to join them). One man did finially break away from a group and the two of them finished the shoot together.

From my understanding with local shoots this is a problem, if you don't bring your own partner it is sometimes hard to find someone to shoot with.

If you are honest about your score I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Maybe I missed something here- It was never said that he shot by himself, just assumed by the guy handing out the trophy.

When I turned in my scorecard, the old fellow looked at it and just kind of raised his eyebrows. He sighed, and said, "Well, we usually don't like people shooting the course by themselves." He then slid the first place trophy across the table to me. No 'good job' or 'congratulations'. It was very obvious he didn't believe I had shot the score.

Look-ma never said he shot alone.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Shootin' by yourself

Bad idea.

If you're scoring yourself then you're just shootin' for fun. If you'd scored yourself I would have never given you the trophy. Simple as that. How am I supposed to know you're an honest guy? Just take your word for it? Yeah, right.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would make it a point to go back to that course, shoot with someone, and if anyone gives u lip, kindly say plese lets go shoot a few just so i can prove i can shoot well. Plain and simple. If ever down Austin Tx way let me know I'll shoot with ya......

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I have a set of twin sons that I started very early in archery.
When it came to the local touneys, nobody would give them a break.They were still shooting the 12& under stakes as the rules stated..................it wasn't hard for the one (Josh)to clean the coarse.
The year after,they were whipping the adults that weren't practicing like they should have been.They were in the top 3 almost every tourny,but the shop owner refused to give them any trophies.(I always told them that a trophie means nothing.The satisfaction comes when those who watched them shoot,knew they were whooped by 14 yr. olds.
I told the owner that at the next shoot.........I wanted either him,
or appoint a scorekeeper.He didn't even wan't to do that.
(the boy's shooting sessions were like a thank you from dad for working around the place so hard,so I cut em loose on they're own).I also know how well they shot.I didn't need proof.
In the end,the top 4 were thrown into a hat for an all expensis paid hunting safari.The boys were in the top 4..............but I had the feeling that they're names werent even in the hat.
I should have stayed better infomed,and been present.
We havn't dealt with Tamarack Sports in Lakeveiw,MI. since then.
Imagine.......too lazy to even check.
Jerry Wright

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Lesson learned? If you are good shooter shoot with some others to advoid ill will. Just put yourself in to the guys shoes who could of shot his best score at 296 and then some one else walks in with a 298 that shot alone.

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
What's the difference? Shooting alone, or in a group of friends? I saw a group of four at a local shoot turn in scores recently. Nobody shot under 294 out of 300. Would it be any more appropriate to assume they cheated, as opposed to a guy with a similar score who shot alone? I just figured they were all good shooters. So why not the guy who shoots alone? When I shoot with my son (which I do 90% of the time) he doesn't like to have others shoot with us. When he doesn't go, I go alone and try to find someone to shoot with. Assuming people cheat is wrong, until they're caught. LM-NH, you don't owe the grump any explanation. Good shooting.
whitetail, I'd say the guy who shot 296 should say congrats & be happy with his score.;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts