Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that some of the state parks in the State of Delaware hold special hunts during the hunting season? Of course you did, but what you don't know is that they also hold other hunts that are classified as Special Archery Hunts. What? Let me explain.

This year I met with and talked to ranger(Brian McKinnery) with Lums Pond State Park (3023686989)and was made privy to information that is not published in the Delaware Hunting & Trapping Guide. This is Delaware's Best Kept Secret. They are holding a Special Archery Hunt beginning Oct. 19 thru Jan. 31 on the property between Rt 72 and Rt 896 behind the Siemens' plant and across the street from the 100 Archers Club. The participants are all hand picked by ranger McKinnery and consist of fellow DNR/DNREC employees, State Police Officers and friends and neighbors of his.

To draw my inquisitive attention somewhere else he thru out the archery hunts at White Clay Creek SP which is made public and one other BKS at the Brandywine Creek SP(3025773534) which is not made public. So upon calling the BC SP main office I was told about the three day shotgun hunt in Dec but when I inquired about the Special Archery Hunt that ranger Brian McKinnery told me about there was an air of silence, then she admitted that she knew Brian and did go on to tell me they do hold this hunt. I inquired how I could get onto a list to participate at which time she said I could leave my name and contact number and that she would get this info in front of the person conducting the hunt. I asked her who this person was and for a number and was told she would see they get my information!

To be quit honest I don't feel this is fair to the hunting public that buys a Delaware hunting license. These planed hunts should be made public so that you and I can participate to. The DNR officials should be held accountable and asked to explain. You can't tell me that nobody in the Department of Natural Resources at the top doesn't know about these hunts!

Are we the general public a second class citizen? I pay taxes and buy a Delaware resident hunting license and should be allowed to participate in such hunts. Now you to are privy to Delaware's BKS.

And I'll bet if you inquire about these Special Archery Hunts at other State Parks you too will see for yourself! Delawares BKS...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did You Know Delawares (BKS)

I brought this to light to point out what is being played out behind the scenes. Ranger McKinnery didn't want this to leak out so he wouldn't have to deal with PETA/animal rights people at the site but I feel it was really to keep this on the low low so the hunting public would have no knowledge.

His words were he had been eyeballing this property for the past 8 years since he came into his present position. He brought in a state biologist to warrent his requesting this hunt.

What I would like to know is who in hell gives these guys permission to conduct these hunts?

This really came to light last year when a friend was hiking in Brandywine Creek State Park and ran into a guy dressed in full camo with a tree stand carrying a bow. When questioned what he was doing he stated he was a DNREC employee and had permission to hunt from his boss who also was with DNREC. He said his name was Steve. And this was just 2 weeks before the scheduled 3 day shotgun hunt.

So here you are Joe Hunter thinking you are getting in on a good hunt and these bums are letting their guys hunt right up until your scheduled hunt! Thats a no brainer!

How many years have these guys been duping/cheating the hunting public?

Does anybody else care or are we beating a dead horse or should I say a dead BUCK!

Get behind this and give DNREC a call! Ask them to explain!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Delaware's BKS

This is really frustrating! I participate in the "DE Master Hunter Program" with the specific intention and hope to hunt in these types of hunts. In order to become a Certified Master Hunter by the state of Delaware, you are required to spend many hours in seminars and you need to take a certain amount of classes as well as participate in a background check. Oh, did I also mention, you need to participate in a weapons proficiency test as well?

I did everything as required and passed all their test. :pukey: Spent a number of weekends in these classes. The only thing that has been offered in the Special "Gun" hunt in Middle Run County Park. I am NOT a gun hunter, I am an archery "only" hunter. I am not opposed to gun hunting, but it's just not for me.

Do you think that the individuals who are participating in these "Special Archery Hunts" have done what I and many others have in order to become a "Certified Master Hunter" in the state of DE???? I doubt it!!!!

Contact Bill Dugent at the State. He is the individual who is in charge of the "master hunter program" and question what is going on. I know I will.

Apparently, this "Master Hunter Program", which I took in order to qualify for these hunts, must be a joke.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChekDE I feel for you fella but to say the least this DE Master Hunter Program is a JOKE! Ranger McKinnery did explain this to me in order to participate in these special hunts but unless you paint his house or cut his grass I doubt you will even be considered.

Please post anything that you might come up with but these guys are all friends and have this thing in their hip pocket! DNREC:thumbs_do

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure why you should be surprised by any of this! Several DNREC guys AND some "master hunter's" hunt on property adjacent to mine (we hunt on private land-we are a club of ethical bowhunters) and the way they "hunt" is disgusting.

-driving deer
-shooting ANYTHING that moves (that did include me and my son during one Saturday
-hunting way before the 30-minutes prior to sunrise and again way past 30-minutes of sunset

yeah....really turns me off. As for the DNREC hunts, what can you do? Unless you are in bed with them you won't get to hunt.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Delaware's BKS

What really bothered me was I saw how McKinery orchestrated this hunt on the above property. He brought in a state biologist who probably warrented his requesting this hunt. McKinery then went over to Siemens security and flat out lied to them about allowing company employees to hunt, this was done so he could obtain use of an access road on Siemens property. He then hand picked the hunters who would participate on this hunt and you guessed it they were all his friends-he told me this and NO Siemens people were allowed to participate.

This property holds a large deer herd with bucks in the 150" to 170" range. You probably think I am kidding you but let me tell you because I shed hunt back there they are there.

What really ticks me off is that if I want to hunt a buck like that I have to pay 1,500 to 2,000 dollars and travel 1500 miles to do so. This guy pays nothing and only has to go 20 minutes out of his way, and he and his friends get to do this at the Tax paying publics expense!

This whole thing about DE Master Hunter Program is just a scam to get the hunting public to spend more money to attend their programs and you may not or more likley wont be picked to participate in these Special Archery Hunts in the state parks. And I'd be willing to bet some of these yoyo's running around our state parks hunting arent DE Master Hunters, just hand picked friends!

I would really like to attend one of these meetings the state holds and challenge the legitimacy of these hunts and this program. Obtain a list from the state of participants and verify they are qualified and have "DE Master Hunter" status. This whole thing stinks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
De Master Hunter?

I also am a delaware Master Hunter ... Gets me nothing... I am Archery only hunter (not against gun hunting), but I don't consider these to be hunts. They are Kills! The deer are driven and the hunters are to kill as many as then can as quickly as they can. NOT my gig. The Bow hunters (By Lottery or some fair method) should have the opportunity to hunt these properties a month or two, quietly and discreetly, if they haven't harvested enough deer maybe then send in the gun hunters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts