Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member from another website (who is also a member on here) informed all of us today that shooting at whitetail deer past 30 yards is highly unethical, and he also took the liberty of telling us that there is no way an arrow will pass through a whitetail deer at 40 yards because they do not produce enough KE past 30 yards.

Did you guys know that?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Some people are just NOT Smart I guess. I have passed through deer at 60 yards before. Good luck Saturday PA bowhunter, I am pumped how bout you

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
While I prefer to take my shots at less than 20 yards, I have killed 4 whitetail bucks at 50 yards plus. Each one of those 4 were complete double lung passthroughs.

So much for that theory.:wink:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
You might tell your friend to invest some time reading. He may be really surprised at what he learns.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cletus1185 said:
Some people are just NOT Smart I guess. I have passed through deer at 60 yards before. Good luck Saturday PA bowhunter, I am pumped how bout you

I think I am the dumb one since all I have is physics and common sense on my side lol :D

At any rate, pumped is an understatement my friend. Good luck to you as well!

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He also added that he hunts with some of the "best" hunters in the state of PA and that none of them will ever shoot at a deer over 30 yards either

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
He also added that he hunts with some of the "best" hunters in the state of PA and that none of them will ever shoot at a deer over 30 yards either
Im with him...I never shoot over 30 yards even though i shoot consistently out to 50...Just a personal preference tho...CANNOT WAIT FOR SATURDAY!!

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I won't shoot past 40 yards, but my bow is quiet enough and fast enough that the arrow is gonna get there before he can blink anyway.

As for no passthroughs? are you kidding... HAHAHA

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Tell him if he keeps shooting a 20 lb bow he will never get pass throughs

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
WELL he never hunted with me so that just cant be:wink:
anyway just sounds like another know it all holyer than thow archer
(just what we all need) :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
42yrd mech. pass-through!!! I guess im unethical?

I took this one Mon. night at 42yrds. 1/4 away and this was the exit. The entrance was alittle too far back but it was a complete pass through and she went 70yrds and expired. By the way this was also a Mech. head.
Spitfire Baby!!!

Attachments

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
informed all of us today that shooting at whitetail deer past 30 yards is highly unethical
This may very well be the case for him/her...everybody has effective shot ranges and if that individual's is 30 yards then so be it. Now if this individual meant anybody then:zip:

PABowhunt4life said:
he also took the liberty of telling us that there is no way an arrow will pass through a whitetail deer at 40 yards because they do not produce enough KE past 30 yards.
40 ft lbs of KE is all that is needed for a whitetail pass-through according to the numbers....I got plenty to do the job much past 30.

Also one other thing this brings up what is up with these varying degrees of being ethical (highly ethical, barely ethical, very ethical). In my mind it is ethical or not...that's all. I had a cop tell me I was barely legal. I of course told him my thoughts on things are either legal or illegal...next thing I know barely legal became illegal:confused:

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
That's nothing! I've been told anything past 20 in unethical and hard to get pass throughs. When I mentioned getting through a buck's shoulder at 35 I was called a liar! Oh well, some people just are not "in the know" I guess.

GOOD LUCK SATURDAY, PA BOYS!

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
i shot a recurve for about six years and when i switched to a compound...the first couple times i had a deer at 25-35 yards, i thought it was a mile away...that was way out of my comfort zone. now i feel very confident with my abilities to take a deer out to 50 yards...but i won't shoot that far...i will, however, try one at 40 if the opportunity arises...but i can't fault someone for not taking a shot over 30 yards...but don't criticize someone that does...i would say this person is definitely NOT a target shooter or he/she would see people that can shoot inch groups at 60 yards...JMO

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe me fellas, I am not judging him or putting him, or anyone else down for that matter who will only take 30 yard shots. I just found it very funny that he said ANYONE who shoots past 30 yards is unethical and that an arrow wouldn't go through a deer at 40 yards.

Just wanted to get some opinions off of you guys ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
A member from another website (who is also a member on here) informed all of us today that shooting at whitetail deer past 30 yards is highly unethical, and he also took the liberty of telling us that there is no way an arrow will pass through a whitetail deer at 40 yards because they do not produce enough KE past 30 yards.

Did you guys know that?
I believe it is a good thing to understand one's limitations, especially when it comes to shooting animals with a bow and arrow!

However, when someone decides that their limitations should be everyone else's limitations, otherwise you are not ethical, a problem exists! Or, at the very least, a good topic for a heated discussion!!

I've posted this previously on another thread as a response to guys that chose to put someone down for the size/age of the animal that they chose to shoot (some negative responses based on "ethics"):

Wonderful thing...this faceless computer society that we live in. Anyone can register (and not include anything in their profile if they so chose) and instantly become:

1. the voice of reason
2. the voice of ethics
3. the expert on ....(fill in your designated topic)
4. "da man"
5. the finest looking, smoothest talking, best shooting, most experienced, most well equiped, most far travelled, monster buck shooter this fine planet has ever produced!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Not that I am particularly proud of this as it was a foolish shot but I had a hard 1/4 away pass threw shoot on a doe at 47 yards and never found the arrow as it kept going.
It even cut the right front leg clean off at the knee joint. I hit right in front of the rear left leg and it passed threw "EVERYTHING"!

That was some damage let me yell ya. Not a fun field dressing job.

Disclaimer: It was in my front yard and I had to take the shot. LOL

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's interesting, since I passed an arrow through a bull elk at thirty yards and had to dig my broadhead out of a log on the other side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts