Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my setup into TAP and AA and find that when TAP puts my arrow spine in the middle of the green AA puts it in the red on the stiff side.

When I setup for green in AA I get a weak spine reading in TAP.

I am confused as to which program better matches spine.

Help would be welcome as I am getting ready to order X-7's for indoor and Iwant to order Navigator's for next season's field shooting and they are too expensive to waste.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FYI--I do know how to use both programs properly. I just don't know which one to trust for spine matching.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Hey, how about giving us all a little bit more info about your set-up? Draw weight, what bow, what cam, draw length, what length arrow you plan on using, release or fingers, string material, and any other information needed for the programs. Could be the differences are due to something as little as what type of cam you entered in your selections needing to be different between the two programs, entering the draw length correctly for both programs (i.e. I believe if you enter brace height in AA you need to enter "true" draw length and not AMO draw length, not sure how TAP needs to be entered), things like that can make a difference. Most cases I've seen/heard, both programs typically provide similar results. Hence the desire to hear more info about your set-up so others can maybe play with the numbers to see what they come up with. Similarly we can possibly give you some ideas via experience in terms of what may work.

Thnx >>------>

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thenks for the reply CHPro, here goes

Ultratec 3000 (50-60#)75%Letoff 31" max draw #5 cam
My true draw length is 30.125"
Stone Mountain Dakota string (pre streatched 8125)
Tru tornado release shot off the string, no loop
Bow set at 55#

Settings in TAP
Amo draw 31.25
55#
BH 7.75
BPF 1.19791820
Hard Cam
A to A < 43"

2512 X-7 - Shaft 30.5, Point glue in 180, fletch 12gr.,

I don't have the AA settings on this computer but it says I am off the wall STIFF while TAP is in the middle of the Green. :confused:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
AA uses raw shaft length, meaning no nock or insert is included in the shaft length. I'm pretty sure that TAP uses the shaft length with the nock.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Hey Bob-

I think I might be able to help.....

I have seen Perry say to use Medium Cam in AA when the 3000 limbs are used. Did you use Medium Cam in AA, and Hard Cam in TAP?

Hope this helped...........

·
Registered
795 Posts
:) Don't know about AA but TAP works fine for me. If it comes up green or a little stiff it worked fine for me and my customers.

·
Registered
756 Posts
rjholla:

I have the same identical bow and set up. My draw is also 31".

I use AA. I know Perry and have discussed the Cam 1/2 with him and he said this cam is about half way between the Medium and Hard Cam in his program.

I set up all my shafts carbon or alum. using the medium cam. My arrows which fly beautifully show between the green and red. I find my bests results shooting either a drop away or a lizard tounge is with an arrow that is a bit to the stiff side.

I check out my shaft spine and arrow set up using group tuning at 40 yards and doing the walk back. I start at 20 yards, get a good sight setting, leave the sight at 20 yards, shot one arrow at a time at 5 yard increases in distance. If your center shot is set correctly, and the spine is correct each arrow will be directly below that last arrow shot as you increase your distance from the target.

If a line from the first to the last arrow goes off to the right, move your rest to the left. If it goes off to the left, move the center shot in.

Once you have the arrows impacting directly in a line, group testing will tell you if you have a spine problem. If you are getting the occasional arrow that for no reason goes out of your group, and you made a good shot suspect that the arrow is to light in spine.

My experience with AA is that if I set up correctly, it does not lie to me.

Alaska Sam

·
Registered
506 Posts
There is no standard for Soft, Medium & Hard Cams. Given that, it is no surprise that you get different answers from different shaft selection tools. Add to that confusion that some Shaft Manufactures try to convince archers that they can support any archer with as few as 4 sizes of shafts while Easton does so with many more options.

While there are always exceptions, I have found that when my customers follow the directions below they can generally trust what Archer's Advantage recommends:

Build Bow Instructions

Here is how you properly calibrate the program to your bow for shaft selection:

O Shoot an Arrow through a Chronograph
O Build Arrow (so program can calculate weight of shaft)
O Build Bow, making best guess on cam type (not all that important that you get the right cam type)
O Click Update
O Enter Chronograph Speed in Test Arrow Speed Box

This calibrates the program to the actual performance of your bow.

You can now perform shaft selection with confidence.

That said, Jim Despart & I shoot the same outdoor shafts out of the same bow as the other. However, Jim shoots 10 pounds more weight than I do.

The setup Jim shoots closely matches Archer's Advantage recommendation. If I were to shoot a weaker shaft, as one would think I should, I have trouble grouping at distance.

All shaft selection resources are starting points, some better than others. However, individual shooting styles will affect the final optimal shaft selection for each shooter.

Good Shooting!

Perry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts