Archery Talk Forum banner

Differences between SB and SBXT?

792 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Spurhunter
What are they and how noticeable are they? Weight? Draw? Smoothness?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
14,626 Posts
Switchback XT had a half inch more brace (7-1/2") and a 31" ATA compared to 33" of the regular switchback. The XT also had different cams that were much smoother. The XT is mathews best bow they ever made.

· Registered
1,822 Posts
When I was shopping for used bows. My local shop happened to have a regular switch back and a switchback XT. They both had a 29" cam on them. I set them both to the same weight and tried both. The regular switchback definately had the smoother draw. Other than that they are very close. As mentioned the axel to axel and brace heights are different. I ended up going with a 28" on my switchback. A longer draw will make a bow seem harder I know but comparing the two side by side with identical draw legnths the regular SB was smoother. This is the main reason I ended up going with the switchback.
I love this bow by the way.

· Registered
14,626 Posts
WOW!

Figured this question would be a no brainer to someone that has actually shot them both! The XT was an upgrade.

They were both smooth. The XT was a bit smoother and quieter. A nicer overall bow unless you did not like the shorter ATA.

The two biggest sellers back in this time period was the Mathews Switchback XT and the Bowtech Allegiance.

This is when both these companies were at their best.

What year are you comparing anyway?

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had an 05 Ally and replaced it with an 07. I like my Bowtechs. But I wanted something smooth so I traded an 82nd for a Switchback. I never understood the Mathews hype. But after getting this Switchback I love it as much as my Ally. I like it more for hunting. I never shot an XT and just wondered how they compared.

· Registered
740 Posts
Owned an xt(sold). Currently own an S2. I shoot the S2 much better and although some on here disagree, I think the switchback has a smoother draw. Both are AWESOME bows. I know the xt came after the switchy and was supposed to be an ''upgrade'', but to me you can't upgrade from perfection

· Registered
909 Posts
The single weighted cobra was definately smoother than the dual on the xt by far and 10 fps faster so i owned them and my favorite was the Switchback. Sold it a couple months ago wish i wouldnt have now because the draw on it is was just as smooth as my Z IMO

· Bow Bender
6,974 Posts
I owned the Outback, then the Switchback (terrible back wall and no valley, always wanting to creep forward) and now the XT. The XT is by far smoother to me, and much easier to draw and so quiet on the shot it is not funny. The XT is still the bow for me. Even my 11 year old boy can shoot it....

· Registered
683 Posts
I've got both bows at home. If you lay an SB cam on top of the SBXT cam you will find they are identical in shape. The only differences I can find on identical draw length SB and SBXT cams is the cam string groove, cam post location and the perimeter weights. It's the SB that has two perimeter weights with the XT having only one. I suspect th cam track difference is to account for the different limb angle due to the shorter riser on the SBXT. As far as smoothness of draw, back wall and valley, I can tell no difference in either bow. Other than those listed above the only other differences IMO are the SBXT has an extra dampener on the cable roller arm and dampeners on the limb string surpressor arms. Either is a very fine bow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.