Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son doesn't want to venture out in the cold to hunt so I decided what the heck I might as well use his bow (Mission Menace) as a late season shooter when the cold really kicks in. I decided to do this the other day when I was up in my stand with temps in the low teens, snow and freezing rain mix. I went to pull back on a doe and couldn't come to a full draw (64lbs). So I set the dl on the Mission bow from 24 to 28, upped the poundage to 50, adjusted the peep and put on a new QAD hunter rest! Got all sighted in to 30 yards....good to go. Now I shouldn't have any problems drawing back. Twenty years ago I could have pulled that amount of weight in the cold...not anymore. I don't chalk it up to getting older just wiser -- I know my limits.

Doc:wink:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I always use my 50-60 bow instead of 60-70 bow in the late (Jan) season. Too cold to ask back muscles to pull heavy poundage after sitting for long periods of time:darkbeer:

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is why i bought 60lb limbs for my sbxt last year. When I drew my bow on a day with a -20 wind chill and everything was just a little harder to get done than I would have liked I replaced the limbs. I leave the 60lbs on there all year.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thats what i bought my Allegiance, and my nitrous for...cold weather. I love my Guardian, but onereally crisp cold morning i had a perfect chance on a nice fat doe. I could not draw my bow back for anything. I shoot this bow very easily when its warm, but in the cold i couldnt do it. I vowed to never let this happen again. My allegiance at 65 lbs with smooth mods is easier to draw then a 65 lb guardian...the nitrous is even easier. Now...Bring on the cold!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts