Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie archer here. This forum looks great and I look forward to learning as much as I can.

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I didn't find it in a search.

I just ordered my first bow, an 09 Martin Saber. Martin's website lists draw weights for this model of 50#, 60#, and 70# which I believe means ranges of 35-50, 45-60, and 55-70. The one I ordered has a range of 40-55. The dealer said it was from a special order they placed.

What accounts for the same model bow having different possible draw weight ranges? Is it simply different limbs for the different ranges, or is there something in the cam(s) that affect it? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
limbs

The limbs will be what decides the draw weight.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
limbs

I'm not a designer but I believe they make them the same length for the same models, not sure what goes into making the different weights.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The limbs on the same bow would not change in physical size or shape--
its the amount of limb deflection that determines the draw weight.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Yes its just the differant limbs..you can get some bows up to 100# draw weight if you have the stones to draw it....are you sure about your draw weight..it should be 45-60#...you may be makeing a mistake if it only max's out at 55#..you would be better served with a bow that max's out at at least 60#....you have made a good choice for the bow...martin is a solid company...do you know your draw length..the shorter the draw the slower the arrow...JMO

·
Registered
444 Posts
I should have mentioned in my earlier reply---
the Sabre is a good solid bow, BUT, the string & cable are not much, would recommend changing them out ASAP---makes a big difference in that bow !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its just the differant limbs..you can get some bows up to 100# draw weight if you have the stones to draw it....are you sure about your draw weight..it should be 45-60#...you may be makeing a mistake if it only max's out at 55#..you would be better served with a bow that max's out at at least 60#....you have made a good choice for the bow...martin is a solid company...do you know your draw length..the shorter the draw the slower the arrow...JMO
I don't plan on hunting with it, just target shooting, so I'm not too worried about getting up to 60#. I'm also on a tight budget and was able to snag this one for $180 which I thought was a pretty good deal for a new bow, even if it is last year's model.

I've had my length measured at 27" which isn't the longest, but I'm thinking this bow at 27" and 50# should be a great value minded set up to learn on.

Are custom special orders pretty common, or is it unusual to find a bow with a non standard weight range?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts