Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dealing with a little tp lately and decided to change it up alittle. I generally shoot with a tru-fire hurricane but have been using a stan micro 3 quatro. I have been blind baleing and closing my eyes for a few days. I've had a little bit of a time trying to get the release to go off, think I have too much tension in my index finger. anyway my draw length is set at 28.5 with a loop. Using my hurricane everything is fine but when shooting my stan I tend to twang my arm just a little bit. Does swaping these releases effect draw length alot or is it because I am straining to make the release fire? Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
It could be that you need to shorten your D-loop a little to make up the difference. I wouldn't change the bow's DL unless loop changes don't do it. Good back tension is very DL reliant.

You could very well be putting too much into it, which can cause the bow to twist and the string to slap you, too. You need to find which is going on.

And set the release SLOOOOOW. Very slow. Slow enough that you can draw the bow with nearly even pressure across your fingers and it won't go off. If you're using a clicker in it, then be sure to set it slow, but just fast enough that taking your thumb off the post will get you to the click without having to purposely rotate the release. Setting it slower like this makes it a lot easier to trust the release and it also helps you to relax your fingers and hand. You want to be relaxed enough that your fingers and the back of your hand stretch a bit as the pressure increases. And do NOT stop the pressure when you come to full draw. Keep the tension throughout the entire process. Any time you get apprehensive and relax in the valley the release will be hard to get to break.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, right now the release is set very light. It does seems to take alot to break, Using the hinge has helped alot with the freezing outside the dot, I can hold right on the dot. My stan doesn't have the clicker.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
thanks for the info, right now the release is set very light. It does seems to take alot to break, Using the hinge has helped alot with the freezing outside the dot, I can hold right on the dot. My stan doesn't have the clicker.
Don't set it too light. Most people do that and that just won't help you learn the process at all. Just make you scared and apprehensive of getting a KO punch to the head. FWIW, in the last two years of shooting only a hinge (I was freezing low, too) I have YET to have a premature release. No punches, no nothing.

Many Stans have a reversible moon/cam in them that has a clicker ledge on one side and none on the other. You could flip it if it's got the ledge. It's nice to start out with, for a warning of a bad draw if nothing else. Just be sure to get the click BEFORE you start aiming if you do flip the cam.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts