Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a tear left no matter where I move my rest left or right. I have given it to others to try and still I get a tear left. I am shooting a QAD Ultra rest and it is a drop away.

I am beyond frustrated and am ready to toss the bow. Today I noticed that while I have been shooting cock feather up my 2 other vanes on the botttom are warpped and have a black streak running down them. This has to be from my rest.......................but it's a drop away! I am shooting 64# 29" and GT 5575 with 100gr tips.

I have moved my idle lean.....gotten a torqueless grip.......changed the string and cable..............NOTHING works.

Mathews techs tell me to put twists here and there.......nothing works!

Which drop away should I use instead of the QAD Ultra.

I am so frustrated!!!!! Today I was ready to trade the bow in and try som TRYKON treatment.:eek: :) :wink: .....................wife wouldn't let me!!!!

I would appreciate any help I could get!!!

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
sounds like the timing is off on the rest . I don't have a quad rest but a trophy taker should raise the last 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches of full draw. I would throw a cheap rest prong type just to try it . I know you have a good rest but just take your time & play with the cable that raises it up. O ya it don't matter what bow that rest is on if it's not setup correctly the same results will happen. aint archery fun !!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
XT trouble

I also have a new Xt that is showing some diffculties in tuning. I'm seeing the same thing that you are getting on your vanes. I took a arrow tonight with feathers ans shot it thru paper and got a bullet hole so there is some contact somewhere with the vanes. I'm shooting Mathews fall away rest now but I have set up two other Xt's for friends with trophy taker rest and they are shooting vanes with no clearance problems so I'm thinking about junking the Mathews rest and putting on a trophy taker. I hope this may help you, if I find out any more with mine I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Sounds like the rest timing is off, I have a Trophy Taker original drop away and it raises the last 1-2" of the draw cycle. Don't get hung up on paper tuning it's just a starting point, walk back tune then group tune, and start having fun:wink: But it does sound like you have a contact issue.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sounds like idler lean, could also be fletching clearance. Try tuning with and unfletched arrow then switch to a fletched once the tear is good with the bare arrow. Also measure ATA on both sides of the bow. The arrow shelf side should be close to 1/16" shorter on that bow for best horizontal nock travel.

Tune Procedure

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
my SB 2005 ....

crazy thing. Using a Trap Door [no strings] rest. Getting left tear,,,I kept pushing the rest to the left [away] from the shelf. Tear no better. Just for grins, set rest closer to shelf,,and got minimal tear~!
I think the bow has a mind of it's own. Guess it pays to try "reverse bow psychology!
I'm also setting specs at max limb setting,,then backing off 3 turns to about 64 lbs and hunting at this setting.
Alan in Ga.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Alan in GA said:
crazy thing. Using a Trap Door [no strings] rest. Getting left tear,,,I kept pushing the rest to the left [away] from the shelf. Tear no better. Just for grins, set rest closer to shelf,,and got minimal tear~!
I think the bow has a mind of it's own. Guess it pays to try "reverse bow psychology!
I'm also setting specs at max limb setting,,then backing off 3 turns to about 64 lbs and hunting at this setting.
Alan in Ga.

For a release shooter and horizontal rest adjustments you move the rest away from the tear when viewing from the string side of the riser (front). The trap door has a sensitivity adjustment to allow you to set how long it stays up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have a left tear, you probably already have tried moving the rest to the right. I shoot a QAD also and had a right tear problem and the same clearance problem. Address the clearance issue first. I am not sure which rest you have, is it the hunter or pro?. I use the hunter and I loosened the windage screw and rotated the prongs forward while the rest was down just until it touched the arrow shelf. This fixed my clearance problem and then adjusting for left and right tear was easy. Not sure if this will help you but your problem sounds familiar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was having the same trouble black streaks on my vanes and could not get it to stop with the old style vital bow gear fall away rest a friend of mine got his new bow and had a drop zone installed and he said it was the best rest he has ever used so i tried one and hav NOT had any contact with it it is an all around great rest

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a QAD Ultra pro and I eventually got it to paper tune on my XT by adjusting it almost all the way to the right. It is only one or two marks from the end of the scale. In the process, I have moved it all the way to the right and got fletching contract with the sight base.

End result, the QAD needed to be moved as close to the riser as possible and still have a tiny bit of clearance for the fletching. And that is with 3 Blazers, with cock feather up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
switchback xt

Hey dereck ,I am not qualified to give advice on tuning your bow, but I do have a suggestion send The bow to mathews and let them check it out In The meantime you can use the time hanging your stands and scouting.Or chasing women. This way you can have cofidence that the bow is working properly. Tony

·
Registered
308 Posts
Got my SB XT tuned!!!!!

Well I did what I said , got rid of the Mathews rest and went to a Trophy taker shakey hunter. It still wont shoot a bullet hole but very very close. I did a walk back tune with broadheads and got them shooting great. I'm shooting 70#@29" with a A/C/C 360 @ 28.5" Montec 100gr heads. Belive me I have tried everything today different shafts, points,broadheads and even fletching. When I went to feathers that is when I relized I had a rest clearance problem because the feathers would shoot the broadheads and the vanes wouldn't. So I snatched of the Mathews rest and put on the shakey hunter and now all is well. It is time for a cold one:darkbeer:

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
PrimitiveHunter said:
Well I did what I said , got rid of the Mathews rest and went to a Trophy taker shakey hunter. It still wont shoot a bullet hole but very very close. I did a walk back tune with broadheads and got them shooting great. I'm shooting 70#@29" with a A/C/C 360 @ 28.5" Montec 100gr heads. Belive me I have tried everything today different shafts, points,broadheads and even fletching. When I went to feathers that is when I relized I had a rest clearance problem because the feathers would shoot the broadheads and the vanes wouldn't. So I snatched of the Mathews rest and put on the shakey hunter and now all is well. It is time for a cold one:darkbeer:
Glad too here thing have worked out, I too use Trophy Taker, but I use the original one which has the smaller tongue (less to have contact with)
Good luck with this year's season:darkbeer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
matthews rest

Hey Primitive which Mathews rest did u have??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts