Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Samick Sage in December to break up the monotony of shooting compound all winter. Oodles of fun and I'm starting to get the hang of it. With most targets lately I've been shooting 220-240 points. This week in our league we shot the vertical 3-spot and that thing really gave me hell and I only shot a 122. Fortunately everybody else had a hard time with it too. Any pointers on shooting these multiple-spot targets like this?

50# @ 28" and I draw a hair over 25". I shoot using a home-made finger tab, 3 under. I aim using the point of my arrow in my peripheral. At 20 yards, I can put it right on the bull and shoot pretty consistently in the 4 ring, except for the dang 3-spot target. Help!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The Fita 3 spot and IFAA 5 spot are harder to shoot if you dont have a 20y point on, in tourney you have the option to shoot single or multi spot faces, I suggest you keep to single spot faces.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Fita 3 spot and IFAA 5 spot are harder to shoot if you dont have a 20y point on, in tourney you have the option to shoot single or multi spot faces, I suggest you keep to single spot faces.
That makes a lot of sense. In our club league we shoot a different target each week. The league organizer was feeling a little masochistic last week.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have just started to shoot 3 spot targets and have discovered similar problems. I was not terrible with a single spot, and started using multispot targets to lower the probability of ruining arrows with Robin Hood events.

And for that it works. With the three spot target, I am terrible. I think the problem is that the other spots are distracting to my eye. I catch my eye switching to other spots. I try to really concentrate, but the fact that there are two more identical targets drives my brain crazy. I sometimes hit the wrong target, sometimes between targets, and rarely where I was aiming.

As a test of my theory I put a small orange dot in the center of one of the targets. It gave my eye something to focus on and when shooting that spot on the target, I did better. The other two were still terrible. I am still trying to figure out a way to shoot without the orange dot.

Maybe just more practice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Capital Ken, have you only shot single-spots before? Or had you shot the trianglular format 3-spots? If you have only shot single-spots, any type of multi-spot takes getting used to. It is visually distracting at first.
With practice, you learn to see only the spot you are aiming for. There is not trick or short-cut; it just takes time & effort. The advantages are avoiding Roin-Hoods and avoiding a center-shot displacing another center-shot. So I believe it is worth learning.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
I tried to shoot three spots back in the days when I shot indoors and had fat arrows. I found it more difficult getting the arrow on spot because my point was larger compared to my image of the target.

I am not sure that would still be a problem today since I do just fine with the little 20 cm field targets. It could be since there a 5 rings in the target.

I think it is a sight picture thing you just have to get used to. Just like what the blue face shooters experience the first time they shoot a 10 colored band FITA target.

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
C-K -

Yes, the closer you are to point on, the better.
I find the vertical 3 spot easier than the triangle target, even with a sight.

With the v-3 spot, your draw/shoulder angle has to be consistent, meaning you may need a slightly different hip/waist bend for each target. Not doing so may change your draw length enough to hurt your scores.

The other factor is the type of misses you have. Deep blues on a single spot will hurt you a lot more on any 3 spot (basically a 5 vs a 0). So some shot analysis may be necessary.

A 240 on the FITA single spot with your equipment is commendable, but going to a 3 spot may be a whole 'nother kettle o' fish.

Also. despite the Internet BS, I've yet to have enough glance outs to stop me from using a single spot in a match. For practice I use a three spot, but only shoot at one face. While busting a few nocks (5 - 6 arrow ends), if I get one glance out every few years, it's a lot.

Viper1 out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts