Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to get into the video thing- somehting I've never done before and have always sworn I wouldn't do! :darkbeer: As they say, "Never say never!" LOL! Anyway, I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea what camera t buy OR what to look for in a camera. So I need some advice from some of you video experts I know are here!

I do know I'd like a digital format camera so I can edit the video on my computer more easily and create DVDs without having to buy more equipment to convert from analog to digital media. And, obviously, I'll want a fairly compact camera that won't be too hard to put in my pack, carry up a ladder, etc. However, beyond that I'm pretty open to suggestion. What sort of features should I look for in a camera for filming hunts and wildlife? Can I get some suggestions on brands/models UNDER $1K, and preferably under $800? I assume I can buy a pretty decent camera that'll get me started and not have me wanting to upgrade before the end of the season, for that price?

Looking forward to y'alls advice!

Nick

P.S. I'm leaving on a hunt in the morning so if I don't get a chance to get online and reply to posts before early next week, you know why- I don't want anyone thinking I'm ignoring my own thread! LOL

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C'mon y'all! I KNOW there are a bunch of video experts on here- how about giving a newbie a little help?

Nick

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a Sony Digital, not sure of the model, got it 2 years ago. The screen that folds out is a touch screen which I like. I also got one of the super duty batteries. It has a life of like 8 hours or something. This battery is four times the size of the battery that comes with the camera and does add bulk and weight. I've only taken it hunting a couple times but it sure is fun and I got some good video. A month ago I got great video in a cemetary near my house of a giant 13 pointer and great eight pointer. I've had more fun showing the video to people. It gets the guys pumped for season to see that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sony cameras do a lot better job in low light conditions compared to other well known cameras such as the Canon. Look for discontinued model cameras. You can always get a much better camera after its been out a year or two as opposed to buying the year's newest camera. I shoot Sonys DCR VX 2100 and their PD170 both of which are more than what you mentioned you want to spend, but are killer cameras nonetheless. You could probably find the Sony VX 2100 for around $1500 and you'd have as good a camera as what a lot of the guys on the Outdoor Channel are using. Just a thought. Good luck.

Brodie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nick,
Take a peek at TexasBowhunter.com

Michael (runs the site) had a pretty good link going a week or so ago, lots of ideas listed.

Kimberly and I have several miniDV cameras but I am not sure if the sell these models now.

The TBh site was down earlier today.

I found my old links regarding these topics:

Video Camera Mount
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/discus/messages/80205/444289.html?1158164882

Video Camera Discussion
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/discus/messages/80205/443817.html?1158170028

Their was an archive listed earlier for the video camera discussion, but for some reason it is not showing the first 20-30 postings tonight?

Hope this helps out.

I bet you can do a search on Archerytalk and find some similar post(s)?

Good luck this weekend.

Scott:smile:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you're looking for something on an "entry level", do a google search on this SOny camera. It's relatively inexpensive, takes good quality video, it's lightweight and is simple to operate. Buy extra batteries and be sure to use a "firewire" hookup to download to your computer. And a tripod is a must!

Sony MiniDV Handycam Camcorder with 2.5" SwivelScreen Color LCD Monitor
Model: DCR-HC36

1 - 7 of 7 Posts