Archery Talk Forum banner

What would you do.

• Wait one more weekend for orginal buck.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Take new buck on the scene.

Votes: 4 23.5%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have not seen a buck I've been watching since July since our opener on Saturday. Saw the Monday before 15 yds in front of my ladder stand. A new buck that is also good size appeared on the scene Monday morning. He's an eight point but a cull. Probably 18" inside with decent mass but the tines on one side are half the length as the other side. I've been able to watch every day since Saturday, morning and evening for the original buck I want to take. There's been alot of serious sparring between the bucks and thought that the "horn" rattling might bring him out but he hasn't shown. I'd really like the orginal buck but wonder if he's gone completely underground. the primary rut will be the last two weeks of bow season and that I am not aware of any other bowhunters in the area. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Javi, that's what I have in mind to do but wanted to see what other folks think. My county we get one buck and two doe but only get the doe with the license tag during archery season so I can fill those. Wish Texas would allow does during general season as long as it's with bow.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'd wait. It's still very early in the season here in Kentucky. JMHO! Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
TEX

You might have to move this buck altough smaller than the buck you want could be the domanet buck and the other one could have been forced out.

If your rut is only 3 weeks away you should start finding scrapes would have to scout and see if I could establish if there are more then one mature buck in the area.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff, I'd be real surprised if the new buck is the dominant one. Our primary rut generally occurs near the end of October. I've been watching some pretty intense sparring matches this week but not all out fighting yet. I'm seeing more acorns this year than in the past few years. I think the original buck is under a big oak gettin' fat and sassy waiting for the real thing to begin. I intend to wait a little longer for the original buck since I'm in a one buck county. I'll look for him the rest of the week but fill doe tag(s) this weekend. Hopefully the cold front coming in Sunday will change the movement.

DT if I were in a two buck county I would have taken the new one for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts