Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you folks dip snuff on the deer stand, and have you had a deer that was spooked by the smell of it? I have never had a problem with it, and just wanted to see what experience others have had.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
sigh...I quit about 4 months ago....I will admit that I never used to in a deer stand much but since i moved to nebraska and I do more spot and stalk I ALWAYS had one in.....sigh I want a dip of Skoal Wintergreen Longcut real bad right now...

·
Registered
409 Posts
never had a problem with deer smelling it but i guess there is allways a first:banana:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ive never noticed a problem, but you really dont know if that deer didnt come in if u never saw him. Does make you think that all your practice and prep might go down the drain because your chewin some chopped up flavored leaves. Ah what the hell, anything to keep me sittin longer, gives me somethin to do, even if its spittin in a bottle.

Just make sure to clean them teeth before posing with your deer for a picture:wink:

I love my skoal wintergreen longcut.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dippin

How do you know you have never had a problem? Maybe several P&C/B&C bucks have smelled your dip and you never saw them. I don't smoke or dip and I can smell that crap , and a deer sense of smell is MUCH greater than a humans. Why take a chance?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I USE TO DIP ALL DAY LONG IN THE STAND, DON'T KNOW HOW MANY DEER SMELLED ME BEFORE I DIDN'T SEE THEM:mg: BUT GAVE THAT HOBBY UP SIX MONTHS AGO, NOW THAT I QUIT I CAN SMELL THAT SNUFF FROM 100 YARDS AWAY... BUT I'LL MISS IT JUST THE SAME :sad:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I dip snuff but not while I'm bowhunting. 80% of human scent comes from the neck up so I figure why up the ante by putting wintergreen in my mouth and spitting all over. After a kill though I'll go back to the truck and load up in a celebratory fashion. Just can't see using all types of stuff to stay scent free and screw it all by dipping.

TEXAS

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dip in the stand because it gives me something to do when things are slow. I have always wondered the same thing though. I make sure I stay away from any of the flavored dip and sitck to some natural.

·
Ready To Hunt
2,459 Posts
just depends how high I can get in my stand, when I do I spit in a bottle

i've seen my buddy smoke in a stand and still shoot deer, in fact I had to hold his cig. for him one time while he shot a deer

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Never had a problem, but then again I don't chew. I figure there are better ways to get cancer and blow money with little return. :wink:

·
Registered
438 Posts
letemgrow said:
Never had a problem, but then again I don't chew. I figure there are better ways to get cancer and blow money with little return. :wink:

Yeah dont chew. It might hurt dem perty lil lips of yours.:zip:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Besides the fact that your inviting mouth cancer, do it all you want while hunting as long as the wind is right. You could be dipped in gasoline and they aint smellin you if the wind is right.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Ishi said:
:mg: You aint right man:ROFLMAO:

But ya i rub straight fine cut copenhagen and spit on the ground, I have watched deer lick my puddle

Josh

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Ishi said:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:GOOD ONE>>>>> I chew...Shoot and Spit...hard concentrating on all that...I spit in a bottle though. never had a problem

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have always dippped in the stand. Last year i had to hold at full draw for a while with a dip in my mouth and thought i was going to have to swallow before i made the shot, but lickily the buck took that one more step and gave me a shot.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Why spit?..:wink: ..Never had a problem being scented that I know of....:confused:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
dave308 said:
just depends how high I can get in my stand, when I do I spit in a bottle

i've seen my buddy smoke in a stand and still shoot deer, in fact I had to hold his cig. for him one time while he shot a deer
Ditto.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts