Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dipping or chewing have any affect on the deer coming into a stand? I dip wintergreen and can't tell any difference.:D

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I always have a chew in when in the stand,and I have old does walk right under me,don't seem to bother them..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Dont Know

olddog?
I have Chewed for to long... Chew on stand, but dont till later in the Season!!! Think its a foreign smell to the Deer?:(
I usually spit in a bottle, but get careless sometimes... Dont think it helps.... Best thing I could do is quit:( but damn its hard:D
I do think Deer smell it and may shy away, they don't need any help from us...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Smoke Camels.:eek: If the wind is wrong, they will smell you anyway and it makes an excellent wind direction detector.:D Damn, I wish I had never started that habit!:(

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
For the past 2 years I have worn a scent loc leafy wear suit and diped Skoal or Cope and I don't think it makes much differance. I have spit on deer from my stand a few times just to see what they would do, they didn't react. Didn't know anything happened. Probably just like a acorn hittin em don't pay it any mind either. Spit continualy on the base of the tree I was sitting in had a doe come up and smell it for a few seconds then she kept on about her buisness milling around. :confused:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I have spit on deer from my stand a few times just to see what they would do, they didn't react.
God that is disgusting. Have some respect. ;)

For the past 2 years I have worn a scent loc leafy wear suit and diped Skoal or Cope and I don't think it makes much differance.
Why bother with Scentloc then? In my experience, MATURE deer will always react negatively to foreign odors. They may not act alarmed, but the older bucks will just avoid the area.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Now I do understand that the sense of smell is the first line of defense for the deer, but consider this; have you ever smelled a foreign scent and you didn't know what, precisely, it was so you went in for further investigation? Some scents, I do think a deer will find offensive and will shy away from, others however, will intrigue them. Humans, collectively, have a unique scent with a common bacteria, not necessarily detectable by our ole factory, but the deer can easily differentiate a human from anything else. It's due to the foods we eat and the way our bodies process and excrete that food. As hard as it may be, a few days prior to deer hunting, stay away from red meats and aromatic spices such as garlic, these have a stronger odor when they are excreted through the sweat glands.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Dipping While on Stand

Just some thoughts from my personal experience,...while I have not spit on deer, I have spit tobacco juice at the bottom of my tree, Wintergreen Skoal, (wintergreen grows wild in my region of the country), and tobacco is a major cash crop here in KY. I think some of the older bucks chew it themselves,...the real reason for worn teeth in older bucks :D...
But, seriously, IF your breath doesn't smell like a road-kill skunk before you put your dip in, you shouldn't have to worry about it. I too have had does AND bucks under the tree that I was hunting in and had spit to the bottom of just prior to the deer arriving. Like NINO said they smelled and even browsed there,...I think that they mistook the other grasses with the Skoal Wintergreen spillage on it as wintergreen.
I have read somewhere and been told by old heads that deer like wintergreen.
bowtinkerer :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
good ole kentucky

yep them deer in kentucky do chew that kentucky bacca!!,theres alot more mighty fine things them good ole boys from kentucky can grow too that deer ,rabbits,left handed smoker's enjoy!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Man you guys must hunt some pretty dumb deer! :)
Either that or you only seeing little ones and 1.5 yr old deer. :D :D :D

Seriously though, I hunt some pretty tough lands and ANY foreign odor will be noticed by the deer and they will avoid the area. Although you may see deer, you are likely NOT seeing alot of other deer that have detected your presence and just avoided your entire stand location by circumventing it.

On a side note, I do know guys that smoke on stand and do rather well. I liken this to the fact that the state burns their property every spring and smoke is a natural cover scent. But, likewise, I would imagine the deer can detect the tabacco versus tree smell in the smoke.

Needless to say, I wrap myself in a plastic bubble when on stand! :D j/k, but I am VERY scent conscious!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
DIPPING ON STAND

I'VE CHEWED IN MY STAND, STALKING, IN A GROUND BLIND AND REALLY NEVER NOTICED A DIFFERENCE. THE ONLY THING IS IN MY TREESTAND I DO USE AN EMPTY BOTTLE. PAST EXPERIENCE SPITTING ON GROUND 15 FT IN THE AIR HITTING DRIED LEAVES DOES MAKE SOME NOISE AT WRONG MOMENT AND DOES PIN POINT WHERE YOUR LOCATED YOU DON'T REALIZE YOU SPIT IN THE SPOT ALMOST EVERYTIME AND THE EXCESSIVE CHEW YOU LEAVE BEHIND. WISH I COULD KICK THE HABIT. GEORGE

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Chewing Twist?

What about eating sunflower seeds, would this be any differant. I love to chew on a mouthful of seeds but this is something I picked up since last season. I would think if I spit the shells in a cup would not affect anything.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I will not share my ranch flavored seeds, unless its with a shooter Buck. :D I live in a 4 point one side antler restriction area here in Pa.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Exactly! :)

Gotta wonder how many deer you aren't seeing, not just consider the ones you are seeing.

But, then again, if you are chewing, spitting, smoking, etc on the stand and consistently shooting mature deer...the more power to ya! ;)

Just don't come near my areas doin that stuff! Hehe :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I really dont know! Hunt the wind and dont worry is my opinion! I hav'nt killed a P&Y yet in 24yrs. of bowhunting, but I did miss a 150 class last yr. at 25yds. I did not hit anything I just made a bad shot! God was I sick!
Anyway you got to breathe & scent will be emitted use the wind. If you spit in a small bottle or container I dont feel it will bother anything. If it makes you sit still do it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
what about cigars?? They have captain black sweets and colts and they smell almost like vanilla from a distance maybe it will attract deer just a thought i have never smoked one on a stand but have after a hunt, i might try that

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also do not think chewing tobacco will hurt ur deer hunting any.

IT's the squirming and fidgeting you'll be doing if you dont get ur
chew that the deer will notice..:D

1 - 20 of 84 Posts