Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. There are many young and elder archers who are shooting 20#-24# limbs. I use a SF Forged plus riser which is around 250.00 dollars and SF Premium Wood/glass limbs at 120.00 dollars. If I wanted to upgrade my set up, the only
limbs I could find in the # range would be the SF Premium Caron Limbs. Only other available would be Kaya K1, and Samick Privilege which are hard to get. It does not make sense to me to buy a 500.00 dollar riser and use 189.00 SF Carbon Limbs on it. So the only upgrade available to me is the SF Premium Carbon Limbs. There is a big void in the
limb selection for 20-24# product. If there are other alternatives please let us know. Thanks and regards.
Norman
PS, Another disadvantage is the arrow selection for spines used in 20-24# bows.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi. There are many young and elder archers who are shooting 20#-24# limbs. I use a SF Forged plus riser which is around 250.00 dollars and SF Premium Wood/glass limbs at 120.00 dollars. If I wanted to upgrade my set up, the only
limbs I could find in the # range would be the SF Premium Caron Limbs. Only other available would be Kaya K1, and Samick Privilege which are hard to get. It does not make sense to me to buy a 500.00 dollar riser and use 189.00 SF Carbon Limbs on it. So the only upgrade available to me is the SF Premium Carbon Limbs. There is a big void in the
limb selection for 20-24# product. If there are other alternatives please let us know. Thanks and regards.
Norman
I you shoot barebow field you get to use closer distances. Then the low poundage might not matter so much.

You make the case for limbwalker's hypothetical tournament where more archers join the tournament as the distance gets shorter. I'm guessing that 40 meters is comfortable for you and 50 meters is a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 70lb daughter gets blown around in high winds - hard for her to hold on target. I weight 180, and am more stable in high winds. Plus generally the higher pound archers can handle higher pound limbs. Oh...wait...

Said daughter shoots 20# KAP T-Rex limbs. They're a decent limbs for a very reasonable price. Probably have to order from UK/Europe though.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
If you really want a higher performing set of limbs then Border will make you any set you'd like. Including a set with basically normal geometry and the lightest composites.

What arrows are you shooting? That could be an even bigger factor.

-Grant

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you really want a higher performing set of limbs then Border will make you any set you'd like. Including a set with basically normal geometry and the lightest composites.

-Grant[/QUOTE
Hi Grant, I shoot Carbon Express Medallion XR 1000 spine, SS Vanetec 2.3 vanes, Pin nocks and 100 grain point.
Norman

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Norman -

Couple of things.

There is no difference in performance between the SF glass/wood Premiums and carbon/wood premiums. I own, shot and chronographed both.
In fact, on the indoor circuit, I saw no difference in scores between the wood/glass premiums and my Innos. (290/300 level shooter). The reason is that (IMHO) there's just a lot you can get away with at 18M/20 yds and speed isn't an issue. Outdoors, differences appear, in speed if nothing else. Then again, don't think I'd be too comfy with 24# (weight on fingers) limbs at 70M. That being said, my wife does fair well at 40 yds with 18# limbs draw to 28" and using 1516s.

But you are right, overall there's a big jump from what's considered entry level and high-end.

Depending on draw length, bows in the 20-24# range will tune with 1516s or 1616s quite nicely. Only issue I've had with low draw weight limbs is combining them with new long draw length shooters. Hard finding reasonably priced arrows (or any arrows) that spine for those weights in the 32" range. Typically I just pick the closest spine that gives adequate length.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have some similar situations in my club. Elder ladies and weak boys and girls.
Top level carbon limbs usually start from 28# nominal, and such limbs are those that I suggest in this case.
Then, by a very unloaded riser (for instance, best Zenit bolts can be up to more than 1 mm out of the riser) or by a Fiberbow ( you loose 1/2" in limbs draw with it), the problem is solved. Best combination tested for elder ladies, Inno EX Power 66"/28# with Fiberbow 6.3 riser.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts

-Grant[/QUOTE
Hi Grant, I shoot Carbon Express Medallion XR 1000 spine, SS Vanetec 2.3 vanes, Pin nocks and 100 grain point.
Norman
Norman,
Do those tune with the limb bolts full-in? Could you manage a little more preload if they aren't?

Because I'd look at changing to mylar vanes, knock 10-20gr off the points and go to push-in nocks. That combined with a slight increase in preload and perhaps a slightly faster string could net you 10-15fps. Arrow weight becomes really critical in the lighter draw weights if you want to shoot outdoors.

If that doesn't work then you could look at some lighter spine Medallion XR with lighter points and spin-wings but maybe just a little shorter.

Or you could really throw money at the problem you could get a set of McKinneyII arrows and Border limbs. There really wouldn't be a faster combo possible.
To add to Vittorio's comment: The Best Moon also has a -3+10% adjustment range like the Zenit, but it's quite a bit less money. I've got one and it's fantastic. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade path which would let you use slightly heavier limbs.

-Grant

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Grant, My arrows tune perfect with the limb bolts three turns out from full tight. SF informed me that the SF Forged riser
is set to Limb Advertised Draw weight at 3 turns out. I only shoot indoors at 18M. I have contacted Border Bows to see if they can make
a set of HEX5-W limbs for me in 22#. I'll keep you posted. What do you think of Sky Limbs. Maybe that is also a possibility. Thanks
Norman

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Norman,

I wouldn't spend a penny on new limbs then, not worth it unless you are trying to make distance outdoors.

I would however look at reducing your point weight down to 70-80gr, even 60 wouldn't be unreasonable with those shafts. I would increase your limb pre-load to retune and consider going with a lighter vane/nock combo. You would be very surprised at what you can do with what you have.

-Grant

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Norman,

I wouldn't spend a penny on new limbs then, not worth it unless you are trying to make distance outdoors.

I would however look at reducing your point weight down to 70-80gr, even 60 wouldn't be unreasonable with those shafts. I would increase your limb pre-load to retune and consider going with a lighter vane/nock combo. You would be very surprised at what you can do with what you have.

-Grant
Hi Grant, The arrows I shoot are Medallion XR's
27" X 4.9 gns per inch = 132.3
SS 2.3 Vanes 3X3 gns = 9.0
Pin 8.0
Knock Soma Large 1.0
POINT 100 GNS 100.0
Total arrow wight 250.3

I feel that is more than light enough for indoors and probably up to 40M.
What I am really looking for is for a higher quality limb in 22# to use. I average 282 score so I am pretty happy with what
I have but just wanted a better quality limb. Thanks for your help.
Norman
PS Do you have any experience with Sky Limbs?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When shooting low poundage bows with lightly spined arrows, I always suggest using a sight or if shooting outside an under the sight mounted magnetic type clicker. This is used to keep the arrow shaft LONG. I've seen so many high spined arrows purchased and then the spine ruined by cutting the shaft short. If you're normal draw is less than 28" of shaft length, consider shooting a longer shaft (min of 28") and use the clickers suggested above to be able to shoot a click with the longer arrow. You will find tuning much easier.

Also consider the lightest arrow shaft you can afford. McKinney II's can be assembled and be 30-60 grains lighter than their closest rival. Case in point, a 28" shafted ACE 670 with same nock and vane arrangement versus a McKinney II shaft--- The Mckinney can be close to 50 grains lighter when using the correct point weights.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
I have contacted Border Bows to see if they can makea set of HEX5-W limbs for me in 22#. I'll keep you posted. What do you think of Sky Limbs. Maybe that is also a possibility. Thanks
Norman
I've got a fondness for light bows. I think it would be awesome and pretty unique to have a set of 22# Border limbs. Practical? Well, that's for you to decide, but I think it's neat. If you get them, please let us know.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
One other point to consider (if applicable) is "resale value". Rarely will you find someone willing to pay what the resale value should be for a HIGH end set of limbs when they are not of what is considered a "normal" poundage.

Case in point look at the resale values of a 36-40# set of limbs versus a 30-34# set of limbs from the same manufacturer.
You will note a definate difference. So if you do buy a low poundage set of HIGH end limbs, Consider that you'll be loving them or selling them for far less than what would be normally anticipated.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
One other point to consider (if applicable) is "resale value". Rarely will you find someone willing to pay what the resale value should be for a HIGH end set of limbs when they are not of what is considered a "normal" poundage.

Case in point look at the resale values of a 36-40# set of limbs versus a 30-34# set of limbs from the same manufacturer.
You will note a definate difference. So if you do buy a low poundage set of HIGH end limbs, Consider that you'll be loving them or selling them for far less that what would be normally anticipated.

Regards,

Tom
True. While I love the idea of super efficient light draw weight limbs, I don't think I'd pony up full value for a used pair nor would I recommend them to any of our students unless they were in the OPs exact situation or were hemorrhaging cash. I had a bit of trouble selling some medium light long bows. I love the 40# range for long bows, but not as many buyers for them as for the higher poundage, at least not when I was selling...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Norman
Hi Norman,

I think you're now asking yourself a question I asked myself about 3 years ago, when I had to drop poundage to similar levels or give up recurve. Since then I've experimented a fair bit and cost myself a good deal of cash. That expenditure has taught me one or two things. Most importantly...... low poundage is still low poundage, however much the limbs cost. Good arrow selection is a better investment, as is a lighter string, attention to vanes (try fletching with 2 of the 1 9/16 spinwings set at 180 degree offset to reduce drag), making sure theres no excess arrow weight (over-length arrows is not the way forward....) and the best technique / release that you can manage. Oh and maybe short limbs with your 27" draw, rather than mediums.

Interesting to see if limb technology has moved on - maybe Borders latest designs can deliver some gains. I wondered if they might, and bought some 25# TXBs a while back (older design now but still billed as fast design). Truth is I couldn't detect any improvement over much less expensive choices (Privilege, SF Carbon Foam etc). I came to the conclusion that the difference must be marginal at best, but in my opinion not worth the enormous cost difference,at least in these kind of draw weights.

I find that with 1300 ACCs / 70gr points, 20# Privilege limbs, then I can shoot same scores (560 indoors) and manage 60m outdoors (can hit 70m but groups open up...drag really) in good shooting weather. In less than ideal conditions, forget it...... as I said, low poundage is low poundage and all the things you can do to get distance will be completely negated by a bit of wind or rain.

I think SF Elite Carbon Foams start at 18# too. I hav a 24# set, nice limbs, but still, the performance difference at my skill level is...well...invisible. Low poundage is an interesting challenge, but you have to have reasonable expectations.

·
Registered
424 Posts
low poundage is still low poundage, however much the limbs cost. Good arrow selection is a better investment, as is a lighter string, attention to vanes (try fletching with 2 of the 1 9/16 spinwings set at 180 degree offset to reduce drag), making sure theres no excess arrow weight
This is so true. Just save your ca$h Norman, and invest on something that really matters

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, Thanks to all for your inputs and agree with all of them. I am really very happy with the equipment and arrows I have and
I only shoot indoors 18M with a 282 average. I was wanting to get a better set of limbs from a quality standpoint and not
for extra speed. I will continue to shoot what I have but have contacted Sky Archery and they can make a set of Glass/Wood
22# medium limbs for me at 349.00 so maybe I will give them a try. My DL is 28" not 27" so I followed Limbwalkers advice
and have medium SF Premium wood/glass limbs. Again thanks for you inputs. Regards
Norman

1 - 20 of 26 Posts